The Ignorance.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
One of my friends contends that his Core Duo PC is better than my Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad Xeon 64 bit...just because it is a PC, and he also thinks that Macs are more expensive, which has, on many occasion, been proven false. I just don't see how so many people can maintain this illusion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

One of my friends contends that his Core Duo PC is better than my Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad Xeon 64 bit...just because it is a PC, and he also thinks that Macs are more expensive, which has, on many occasion, been proven false. I just don't see how so many people can maintain this illusion.

Most people don't even know the true meaning of the word "ignorance", just like the word diva.

When he sees an ad on the TV for a $400 laptop this makes him believe he's right in all PC v Mac situations. What he probably doesn't know is that $400 would be better spent on a good weekend out, hotel the works! Mac's have also come down in price even more recently. Compare last summers iMac, to the one now to see the difference. You're not only getting a lot more for your money, but the price has come down considerably too. I can't wait for this effect that has happend with the iMac to happen again, and to happen to all the Mac's. It has kind of happened to the MacPro too, which is over $500 cheaper than a similar-spec'ed (albeit not nearly as good) Zeon powerhouse. You're right, he's wrong. If you can't convince him, then leave him off. you never know, he may turn around one day and tell you he's getting Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Get a copy of XP and boot into that and belittle him for having a single boot computer. Or install Parallels and freak him out by making XP a trivial subset of your Mac environment.

There's just something about having the OS of someone else's preference made to live within the one of yours.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    But see... he dosn't have a 400 McShit computer. He thinks Macs are more expensive using the logic that if they were cheaper, he would have gotten one (A fallacy). Also, he has never really used a Mac to its fullest potential so he hates the operating system inherently.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Get new friends.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    People that are ignorant shouldn't have friends.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

Get new friends.

Easy there.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

But see... he dosn't have a 400 McShit computer. He thinks Macs are more expensive using the logic that if they were cheaper, he would have gotten one (A fallacy). Also, he has never really used a Mac to its fullest potential so he hates the operating system inherently.

I'm using the $400 excuse as an example.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

I'm using the $400 excuse as an example.

I know, I was just making the point that it has nothing to do with him being STUPID as far as market tricks... it is just this stigma that makes are ALWAYS 1) more expensive 2) not as fast/do not perform as well

Im going to try to do a Cinebench 9.5 test. Of course I will win, but I don't know if he will agree to it. Probably half of the argument is that he doesn't want to be wrong. And as stupid as that is, I don't like to be wrong either.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

I know, I was just making the point that it has nothing to do with him being STUPID as far as market tricks... it is just this stigma that makes are ALWAYS 1) more expensive 2) not as fast/do not perform as well

Im going to try to do a Cinebench 9.5 test. Of course I will win, but I don't know if he will agree to it. Probably half of the argument is that he doesn't want to be wrong. And as stupid as that is, I don't like to be wrong either.

You're not wrong - tell him a switcher told you so