Is Filesharing &FTP really this bad for setting restrictions?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
FTP use. I have one HD to boot from and on other that I want to share (to dump files to)

BootHD

ShareHD

now I set the path for it. /Volumes/ShareHD/

I can still use Fetch to browse everywere even on the BootHD???

I want the FTP client to only see the sharedHD?

I also get blocked by the firewalls even if i set the proxy to allow for ftp-passive mode as per instructions

The FTP is to be used for Retrospect backup. Having it on a separate HD both stop retrospect from flooding the HD with the OS, possibly bringing it down it also enables me to remove the HD for archiving it.

"users" and "sharers"

If I want to set up 30 folders for 30 student to get and put files in. Can this be done without setting up 30 user accounts on my computer?

I would like to set up each folder with a right click properties Shared with "x01" to "x30" each with different passwords. As is it easy to do in Windows since at least Win98 it should be possible in 10.4

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Windows and OS-X are different beasts. For information on creating FTP only user accounts, try this

http://www.ldml.com/services/support...serCreate.html

This will prevent the FTP users from logging on to your machine.

Again, FTP may not be the best solution. Read up on Samba which is the file and printer sharing server engine that is equivalent to Windows.

http://www.macobserver.com/tips/hotc...20010706.shtml

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
  • Reply 2 of 4
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Thanks for the info.

My initial questition was really a compound of two separate issues.

FTP

I wish to use FTP backup in retrospect. In that way I can have my backups in two separate locations (external harddisks at the backup server and the FPT server in an other room)

All i get is \t\tDevice trouble: “Backup Set A”, error 225 (FTP: no write privileges, bad name, or disk full).

If I log in as "backupcomputer" on the FTP server I do have privileges to put files in the folder, and the disk is not full. And the name or path is OK as retrospect do create a file of 0k with the right name in the right place but then does not fill it up with the backup content.

Sharing

We have had a Win 98 (now XP) for a scanner. Here 30+ users have their folders for their own scanned images but they do not have 30+ accounts on the computers just a bunch of folders with different users. At the time when the Win 98 was to be replaced I wished to use a Mac but as I could not get any useful sharing in X we bought a XP instead...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrBoar

Sharing

We have had a Win 98 (now XP) for a scanner. Here 30+ users have their folders for their own scanned images but they do not have 30+ accounts on the computers just a bunch of folders with different users. At the time when the Win 98 was to be replaced I wished to use a Mac but as I could not get any useful sharing in X we bought a XP instead...

How did you setup the shares on XP? I assume the users are on a network in which case there should be a central domain controller that authenticates users logging on to the network. OS-X server would have been more user friendly as it comes with Apple's user interface for these Unixxy products.

This will help for future reference. http://images.apple.com/server/pdfs/...s_TB_v10.4.pdf

I don't know much about retrospect, but I do believe it talks to its own server product. FTP error code 225 means the communication channel is open but data transfer is not happening. Check the client and server versions.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    By turning of the FW on the backup server I could get the FTP backup to the other ftp server to work.

Now I have to dig into FW settings to enable FW and still keep the backup running, one step closer to perfection at the ime8)