can non-itunes music break my ipod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just got an ipod, and I have put some non-itunes music on it. A friend told me that she put illegally downloaded music on her ipod, and it broke. When she took it to the apple store, they said they could tell and that it was only meant to play music downloaded on itunes or ripped off cds through itunes.

Can I break my ipod if I put my other music on it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Hmm..

Well, 90 percent of my music is ripped from my CDs, been like that for some time now. No problems. I think your friend is pulling you rleg.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Your friend is definately pulling your leg. Most of my iTunes library was ripped to mp3 using Windows Media Player. I only began using iTunes when I bought my iPod. The iPod and iTunes will not distinguish an mp3 based on what program created the digital file. iTunes will play a number of different file types: mp3 is the most common, AAC is the default audio file in iTunes (though many people override this option and ask iTunes to rip music to mp3 -- but even if AAC is selected as the default file for storing music, iTunes will still play mp3s without any problem), and there are perhaps others. iTunes cannot play wma tunes (Windows Media Audio files), but if you try to load these into iTunes, iTunes will likely say something to the effect of "unknown filetype," so those will never even make it onto your iPod. There may be issues of viruses attached to music that is downloaded illegally, but an up-to-date security suite (like McAfee or Norton anti-virus) will catch this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LiquidR

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking glass by Lewis Carroll

If you are going to quote a source from which you get your signature, you might as well quote it correctly: the Lewis Carol work in which the Jabberwocky poem is found is "Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There." It is sometimes abbreviated simply "Through the Looking-Glass," however, it is never refered to as "Alice through the looking glass."

Edit: aparently I'm somewhat wrong about the title "Alice Through the Looking Glass." This was the title of a 1974 movie made for the BBC, a 1998 made-for-TV movie in the UK, and a live musical. As well, "Alice Through a Looking Glass" was used for a 1924 silent movie. But I stand by my original accessment: you are refering to the written works of Lewis Carol, so you ought to use his title.