Will this PowerBook/Cinima Display set up work together?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am thinking about getting a <a href="http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index12.html"; target="_blank">12-inch PowerBook</a> then getting a <a href="http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301"; target="_blank">VGA to ADV converter</a> and connecting it to a new <a href="http://www.apple.com/displays/acd20/"; target="_blank">20-inch Cinema Display</a>.

Does anyone know if this setup would work out? Would all the resolutions work together (the PowerBooks graphics card resolution and the Cinema display resolution). Would I be able to have two monitors working at the same time on my PowerBook and the Cinema display. Does anyone know how good those VGA to ADC converters work? Do they give you any distortion or any loss?

Thanks a lot!

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Michaelm8000 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Well, the lowest end GPU mentioned on the 20" ACD page is a GeForce 2 MX, so I would thing that a GeForce 4 Go 420 should be able to handle it.

Can't tell you about the VGA-ADC adapter though.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I don't see why it wouldn't work.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    any ideas of the quality of those. It seems like a big hack. Apple sure does not seem to promote it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    1. Hi Mike! How's Omni treating you?

2. I think they don't promote the VGA-ADC because they sell their own solution, the whole DVI-ADC thing.

There had not been a pro product without DVI until now...

I think it should work just fine.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Seems like a bit of a work around to get an LCD hooked up to a footlong. I'd rather get a p'book with the DVI.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>1. Hi Mike! How's Omni treating you?

2. I think they don't promote the VGA-ADC because they sell their own solution, the whole DVI-ADC thing.

There had not been a pro product without DVI until now...

I think it should work just fine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. Great! We are working on some incredible stuff right now. I am really exited to let you all see it.

2. ok thanks. I E-mailed gefen with my question. I wish Apple would have just put a ****ing DVI port on the thing!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>2. ok thanks. I E-mailed gefen with my question. I wish Apple would have just put a ****ing DVI port on the thing!</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah i would email them to check compatibility with the new displays... they do not work with non-apple ADC monitors, so it may just be a hack for (old) apple monitors only....

hth
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Why do you need to get the Apple display? I just ordered a 12" Powerbook and was somewhat worried about it... but the Apple displays don't seem better than LCDs made by other companies that are significantly cheaper.