new macbook pro display latch defect

adradr
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

I wanted to get some feedback on this defect with my new notebook. I received my order yesterday, after unpacking my new toy I pushed the display release button and noticed that the display did not want to open. After trying for about 1 min, I finally opened the display. I played with my macbook for a few hours and the next day I had the same problem. It seems that when you push the release button it only unlacthes the right hook but not the left. I called apple and they are sending me a replacement. I hope that this is only a one unit defect and not something to worry about in the future.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    (Checks latch on MacBook Pro)

All good here. Haven't heard of any general problems.

The latching mechanism is the same as the G4 predecessor, so if it were prone to problems we'd know by now.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ADR

I wanted to get some feedback on this defect with my new notebook. I received my order yesterday, after unpacking my new toy I pushed the display release button and noticed that the display did not want to open. After trying for about 1 min, I finally opened the display. I played with my macbook for a few hours and the next day I had the same problem. It seems that when you push the release button it only unlacthes the right hook but not the left. I called apple and they are sending me a replacement. I hope that this is only a one unit defect and not something to worry about in the future.

thanks

And some people were wondering why I wanted magnet latch to go Pro too?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I recieved my macbook pro on 11/22 and the latch button is now stuck in the "pushed in" location. Only the left latch will catch, but with a very VERY slight tap of the button....the screen pops up. I hope I don't get some run around when I bring it in to the apple store.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I had a problem with my powerbook a couple of years ago. It wouldn't stay closed (right after I purchased it). They just gave me a new powerbook because it was about 2 days after I bought it
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I was looking at some MBPs at my nearest Apple Store and the latch was a bit concerning to me. Although the 2 hooks drop down like magic and it locks down, I was afraid those two (LCD and palm rest latch) coming in contact may get jammed. Plus they're moving parts (and expensive for me) so I stayed away from it.