Microsoft: We'll eventually 'be the leader' in digital media players

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Microsoft Corp. said Wednesday that it expects to sell 1 million of its new Zune music players by the end of next June, roughly the same amount of iPods Apple Computer has been selling each week.

"We think that's actually pretty awesome," said Bryan Lee, corporate vice president for Microsoft's entertainment group, as quoted by the Associated Press.

Lee added that he expects Microsoft will eventually "be the leader" in the digital media player segment, especially once the Redmond, Wash.-based company rolls out more models of Zune and starts selling them internationally.

Thus far, Zune is available only in the United States and Microsoft has not disclosed any plans to begin selling the players overseas.

According to the AP, unit sales for Zune's first two weeks on the market were roughly the same, ranking No. 2 with about 9 percent (retail) share when assessed by NPD Group.

However, the report notes that "promotions for rival devices -- including much cheaper players -- during the 'Black Friday' week of Thanksgiving had Zune slipping to No. 5."

The player is fairing little better over at Amazon.com, where it has slipped to the 55th-best selling item in the web retailer's electronics category.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

"We think that's actually pretty awesome," said Bryan Lee, corporate vice president for Microsoft's entertainment group, as quoted by the Associated Press.

I wonder how much time it took to choose the proper color lipstick to put on this pig.
  • Reply 2 of 107
    I hope history doesn't repeat itself.
  • Reply 3 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Lee added that he expects Microsoft will eventually "be the leader" in the digital media player segment

Pfft.
  • Reply 4 of 107
    Nice quote for the shareholders, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Getting 9% was pretty good, but that's a long way from topping apple.
  • Reply 5 of 107
    Oh hell. They'll give them away by the millions and claims them as sales. This company has so damn much money to waste. They will soon see why even 2 years up on Sony's Playstation 3 won't convince people to drop that platform. The same will be with Apple's iPod platform.

However, they'll dump in billions to convince people they are the kings of both.

Perception is Reality.
  • Reply 6 of 107
    Apple has nothing to worry about, and neither do you. If anything, the introduction of Zune will only force Apple's creative light bulbs to burn even brighter. I welcome whatever Apple thinks of next.
  • Reply 7 of 107
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    LOL....

M$ Lost.
  • Reply 8 of 107
    Shouldn't the Zune be selling like hotcakes now more than ever, what with Christmas coming up and pent-up demand? It seems to me like the product is destined to fail when it is even being sold by the iPod USB wall charger.
  • Reply 9 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by texas_is_dynamite

Shouldn't the Zune be selling like hotcakes now more than ever, what with Christmas coming up and pent-up demand?

Well, for your statement to be correct there would have to be pent-up demand for the Zune in the first place...
  • Reply 10 of 107
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    hahahahahahahahahah.....wait, they were serious?
  • Reply 11 of 107
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    What he is really saying is that MS has hired 500 software coders (no need for QC here) to break iTunes on Windows. It will be broken with each Windows patch, or every time Windows phones home, whichever comes first.

Of course this will be blamed on sloppy coding practices of Apple and that they (Apple) are using sub-standard coding practices and the Windows team has to keep closing security holes that Apple developes in the Windows environment.

MICROSOFT PRESS RELEASE:

"Microsoft and their security partners have discovered that the vast majority of attacks against Windows is being enabled by the software product iTunes, from Apple. This software is leaving our customer base open to nefarious attacks by shady hackers the world over.

Microsoft has come up with a plan to allow you to improve your digital lifestyle, while keeping your computer totally secure.

Option 1) MS will replace your iPod with a Zune for $99.99 and replace your music library by giving you a 1 year subscription to the Zune Marketplace. This wil actually give you more music choice, as you are not tied to Apple's evil practice of charging you ONE WHOLE DOLLAR FOR EVERY SONG! (With Zune they are only 0.79 Marketplace Points). Please dispose of your e-waste by recycling, or donating to Goodwill/Salvation Army.

Option 2) If you prefer to keep your iPod, you can download the ZUNE replacement firmware for your iPod for free and recieve a 6 months subscription to the Zune Marketplace. This will allow you to use a media player that's almost as good as the Zune with the number 1 music service in the universe, the Zune Marketplace.

Regardless of the option you chose above, we stand by our right to permantly disable iTunes on Windows effective immediately due to security risks to our loyal customers."

I just don't trust the bastards.

EDIT: Today Apple responded by offering a free "Zune Spammer" to anyone who asks for one. This device tracks the amount of time that it is used, and for every one hour of use, you recieve one Song download credit at iTS. The "Zune Spammer" is charged by connecting to the supplied USB cable. The cable recharges the spammer and reports to Apple the amount of time used so that you may be credited.

The simple "Zune Spammer" attempts to connect with any Zune that is near it and send to that Zune the complete works of Lawrence Welk! What a bargin.
  • Reply 12 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by texas_is_dynamite

Shouldn't the Zune be selling like hotcakes now more than ever, what with Christmas coming up and pent-up demand? It seems to me like the product is destined to fail when it is even being sold by the iPod USB wall charger.

I dont think enough people know about it. without a doubt most teens, especially those who hate apple whihc is a good number will know what a zune is but for other house members like soccer moms thinking what to get their kid they wont think of zune. there going to think "oh my kid wants a new iPod, so even if they dont want it it still looks good"

Probably next christmas there will be a bit more turnout
  • Reply 13 of 107
    mkanemkane Posts: 41member
    Don't over look M$ on this one. Zune has some nice features that makes it attractive to buyers.

Let's be fair and look without the rose colored glasses.
  • Reply 14 of 107
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    As I type this, Amazon is selling more Audio Technica's LP players than best selling Zune (black).
  • Reply 15 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight

Nice quote for the shareholders, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Getting 9% was pretty good, but that's a long way from topping apple.

As a Microsoft shareholder, I continue to be disappointed in the performance of their flat stock.
  • Reply 16 of 107
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

As a Microsoft shareholder, I continue to be disappointed in the performance of their flat stock.

Sorry mate, since the dot com bust MSFT has been fUxx0red. At least you're getting dividends? Is that like a 2% return per year or something?
  • Reply 17 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mkane

Don't over look M$ on this one. Zune has some nice features that makes it attractive to buyers.

The only Zune feature that makes it better then an iPod is the built in FM radio function. Everything else is just a joke... Wi-Fi that doesn't do anything but share songs with other Zune's and only for three plays. Not to mention that restriction is put in place on anything, even DRM/copyright free podcasts.
  • Reply 18 of 107
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    The only way Microsoft will ever be the leader in the MP3 Player market is if they mail one for free to everyone's home, which is not something I would put past them.
  • Reply 19 of 107
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    One million would be 2% of the worldwide market.
  • Reply 20 of 107
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mkane

Word!

Also, let us call them Microsoft not "M$".