Microsoft: We'll eventually 'be the leader' in digital media players

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I smell bullshit here, and Balmer sweat! What a load of shit..
  • Reply 22 of 107
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Let's be fair and look without the rose colored glasses.

I would, if they weren't hell bent on having a monopoly on anything they touch.

To Hell with Microsoft and to Hell with their new "Market innovations" and "expansion"
  • Reply 23 of 107
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Behold the power of iPod.

WSJ reports that Norah Jones is selling in unrestricted MP3 format at Yahoo. Why? They don't sell well with the non-Fairplay DRM because the kids won't buy something that they can't load on their iPods. This is almost scary if not for the fact that I own AAPL. Heh.

In the face of such dominance, I don't see how MS throwing barrels of money at Zune remains an economically sound proposition for Microsoft. Sounding more and more like MS's Zune effort is driven more by pride and ego than business sense.

I have some MSFT too but everyday I think about dumping my whole position. MS to me is the GM of the tech industry. They really have only two successful products, Windows and Office. Every other major product they've tried to peddle have been dismal failures concealed beneath piles of cash.
  • Reply 24 of 107
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

However, the report notes that "promotions for rival devices -- including much cheaper players -- during the 'Black Friday' week of Thanksgiving had Zune slipping to No. 5."

The player is fairing little better over at Amazon.com, where it has slipped to the 55th-best selling item in web retailer's electronics category.

Yeah, 55th place definitely is better than 5th.

/sarcasm

wtf? [I'm making fun of [AppleInsider (sry!)] I realize the logic, it just sounds odd. Don't read into it too much.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 25 of 107
    ""We think that's actually pretty awesome," said Bryan Lee, corporate vice president for Microsoft's entertainment group, as quoted by the Associated Press."

How much freaking Kool-Aid do you have to drink before you believe that the worlds' largest computer company is "actually pretty awesome" because their spanky new miracle device is pwned by (among other things) a 50-pack of blank CDs, a sleeve that holds your competition's model, and the weakest Palm handheld they make?

Good luck with that.
  • Reply 26 of 107
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:

The player is fairing little better over at Amazon.com, where it has slipped to the 55th-best selling item in web retailer's electronics category.

Yeah, and have you read the Zune fanboy reviews for the thing..... I love the one iPod revewer who rated the 80gb iPod one star and said: "Moving on to bigger and better".... (by which he meant the Zune)...

Looks like Stevie B has been staying up nights trying to drag down the iPod's review and cranking up the Zune's....
  • Reply 27 of 107
    Microsoft is very good at selling crap to uninformed consumers. Windows proves that. The question is: Will the legions of suckers who bought Windows also buy Zunes now that they've seen the iPod? As the old song goes:

"How 'ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm

after they've seen Paree?"
  • Reply 28 of 107
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mkane

Don't over look M$ on this one. Zune has some nice features that makes it attractive to buyers.

Let's be fair and look without the rose colored glasses.

Yeah you're right! Like music and videos, the ipod's got nothing on the zune. Plus it's got wifi!

I can tell send my friend a song for 3 plays, and I can have a picture of a naked girl as my player background now we're big pimping!

There's no way apple can add all these gorgeous features to the ipod next time around!
  • Reply 29 of 107
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho

wtf?

-=|Mgkwho

55th in Amazon Sales but 5th in Digital Audio Player Sales overall
  • Reply 30 of 107
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alansky

"Microsoft is very good at selling crap to uninformed consumers. Windows proves that. The question is: Will the legions of suckers who bought Windows also buy Zunes now that they've seen the iPod?"

I'm counting on exactly this. Looked at from this impersonal perspective, itdoesseem odd that the pattern exists for Mr. Gates to take his design cue from Apple, create an obviously inferior product, and have people line up to buy it.

I remember when Lotus, Ashton-Tate, and Borland looked down their nose at M$'s first windows attempts (kinda like the Zune). Interestingly, people believed that M$ was the lower cost alternative to the GUI WYSIWYG interface by Apple, who was positioned by M$ as a risky choice (similar to the VHS/ Beta war wherein Sony was clearly better but lost the bout).

I sincerely hope that Apple continues on with their spectacular climb but I also hope that mom & pop America do what they did so many times before and choose an inferior product because I have a small vested interest, like SpamSandwich, in seeing the M$ stock do well.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho

wtf?

Just to clarify, #55 is in Amazon's top electronics, which include cameras, LP turntables, and any mp3/iPod accesory, such as an armband or headphones. While #5 refers to companies that makes portable music players. The order for that week were Apple @ 39.4%, SanDisk @ 39.3% (due to excessive price drops), Creative Tecnologies, Memorex, and Microsoft @ 9%. MS' percentage stayed about the same for it's second week but fell to 5th place as the other companies had better saving. Note that Apple had 63% for the previous week before Black Friday.
  • Reply 32 of 107
    I work at sears and microsoft just keeps sending us Zunes. We have over 40 in the stock room now. We usually only get a half dozen ipods each shipment (sell out pretty quickly this time of year).

I'm wondering if some promotion is going to start due to the large numbers.
  • Reply 33 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino

""We think that's actually pretty awesome," said Bryan Lee, corporate vice president for Microsoft's entertainment group, as quoted by the Associated Press."

How much freaking Kool-Aid do you have to drink before you believe that the worlds' largest computer company is "actually pretty awesome" because their spanky new miracle device is pwned by (among other things) a 50-pack of blank CDs, a sleeve that holds your competition's model, and the weakest Palm handheld they make?

Good luck with that.

I really don't think your being objective with Amazon's electronics's ratings. The more inexpensive the item is, the more potential customers you have. Especially if that item is disposable. Comparing the sales of a Creative Zen or iPod 5.xG is certainly more indicitive.
  • Reply 34 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

I really don't think your being objective with Amazon's electronics's ratings. The more inexpensive the item is, the more potential customers you have. Especially if that item is disposable. Comparing the sales of a Creative Zen or iPod 5.xG is certainly more indicitive.

ok let's see then... in the same Top Consumer Electronics list on Amazon where Zune is #68, the iPod has 5 of the top 10 spots.

so it makes perfect sense to compare the 30gb iPod Video at #2 with the 30gb Zune at #68

even the Creative Zen 30gb is #21
  • Reply 35 of 107
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I wonder how many Zunes will be returned after Christmas?

Let's see, by my calculations, it would take Microsnot at least 40 years to catch up to where Apple is already in the installed base.

Nice try Microsoft, I think Microsoft employees have not only drank the wrong Kool Aid, they are spiking it with massive amounts of drugs.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

As a Microsoft shareholder, I continue to be disappointed in the performance of their flat stock.

Remember, Microsoft is losing $50 on each Zune sold. More if they get a lot of returns after Christmas. Not everyone wants a Zune for Christmas.

Microsoft wanted to take over the game box market and they are still losing money on Xbox.

Microsoft still has to prove to everyone they can make an OS that doesn't have virus problems. That's the real challenge.
  • Reply 37 of 107
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    So if Apple are selling 1 million players a week, and Microsoft say they'll sell 1 million players by the end of June, that means Microsoft anticipate that they'll have 1/30th of the market share of Apple over the 6 month period. If Apple have 70%, then Microsoft are going to be pleased with 2.3%! Massive sales of 33,000 a week!

I read somewhere a week or so ago that they had ordered 3 million Zunes. I wonder if that's been scaled back a bit... or they'll be selling the same model Zune in 2010.
  • Reply 38 of 107
    Quote:

Microsoft Corp. said Wednesday that it expects to sell 1 million of its new Zune music players by the end of next June...

Before it's lack luster release on the market, microsoft claimed that they would sell over 1 million Zunes for the holiday gift giving season. Seems they are scaling back expectations already.
  • Reply 39 of 107
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    A few years back Microsoft said they would not be entering an already saturated market of mp3 player and now we have them selling sh*t colored ipod-clones. Only if we could trust Microsoft and what they said, I bet most of the Microsoft Software engineers own iPods and use a Linux box or a mac at their home and not WinBlows. Microsoft's DRM is more restricting than Apple's.
  • Reply 40 of 107
    I do see Microsoft being the #1 music device seller. They will keep at it until they sell.

They did this with windows, office applications,the xbox,etc..