Macbook Cracks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey

I dont know if anyone else had this problem but I have had a crack appear in my MacBook on the base near the Infra-Red receiver.

I took a photo which i uploaded at http://revoshift.com/broken.jpg unfortunately the photo does not clearly show the crack but basically its where the bit of plastic that points out to keep the display from touching the keyboard sits that has become damaged.

I look after my laptop realy well, ive had it 5 weeks and i first noticed this crack today and im worried it will get worse, im taking my MacBook into a authorised dealer tommorow to hopefully get it fixed under warranty. Apple tech support already warned me it probably would not be covered. Has anyone else had this problem and if so was it fixed by apple

Jonathan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdoverlaw

Apple tech support already warned me it probably would not be covered. Has anyone else had this problem and if so was it fixed by apple

They probably said that because normally, cracks=abuse. However, (assuming you've no other signs of damage) you could point out that it would be very hard to cause the crack that you've got without causing other damage too, so it must be a manufacturing defect.

How did your trip go?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Its annoying though, its right what people are saying, apple quality is slipping
  • Reply 3 of 15
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Jesus, what did you photograph that with?

A pin-hole camera?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    cdoverlaw, I had exactly the same problem in exactly the same place in exactly five weeks too. White Macbook. Called Apple, they gave me a ticket number and asked me to take it to a dealer. The dealer got the keyboard plate replaced by Apple at no cost to me.

Cheers and all the best.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Did the problem re-occur. also i used a camera phone, i dont have a digital camera
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Did the problem re-occur. also i used a camera phone, i dont have a digital camera

Sorry fella, I'm just being an asshole (again).

I'm looking at my MacBook and I've never been able to make my mind up if the area in question is plastic or a really hard rubber material. It seems a bit warm and tactile to be plastic?

I seem to remember that Apple were using a new co-moulding process on the MacBook?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Its annoying though, its right what people are saying, apple quality is slipping

Slipping,I felt that way too,since the intel switch and that tasteless mighty mouse yuck...

no stickers with your new mac,it had a custom hey we thought of you touch to it,so did thier care service! but now, oh boy............ they need to get back to what its about!

boutique quality computers!!!! that thought different and impeccable service and support.

screw trying to be like sony!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catman4d2

Slipping,I felt that way too,since the intel switch and that tasteless mighty mouse yuck...

no stickers with your new mac,it had a custom hey we thought of you touch to it,so did thier care service! but now, oh boy............ they need to get back to what its about!

boutique quality computers!!!! that thought different and impeccable service and support.

screw trying to be like sony!

When Apple produce rock-solid kit we moan about the price. When they become more affordable, we moan about the QA.

As somebody once said... Performance, Quality, and Price... pick any two.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Hey

I dont know if anyone else had this problem but I have had a crack appear in my MacBook on the base near the Infra-Red receiver.

I took a photo which i uploaded at http://revoshift.com/broken.jpg unfortunately the photo does not clearly show the crack but basically its where the bit of plastic that points out to keep the display from touching the keyboard sits that has become damaged.

I look after my laptop realy well, ive had it 5 weeks and i first noticed this crack today and im worried it will get worse, im taking my MacBook into a authorised dealer tommorow to hopefully get it fixed under warranty. Apple tech support already warned me it probably would not be covered. Has anyone else had this problem and if so was it fixed by apple

Jonathan

My MacBook has the same problem. Means we are already two. Also here no trauma! Will go to the AppleStore Friday with a printout of this thread. It's too similar to be a coincidence.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I to have the problem. I have the black, did you guys know that they dont use solid black parts. This thing is friggen painted, even the keys. My space bar and option key are already showing white scratches and the underside of the notebook has two white scratches. I keep telling myself NEVER buy Apples entry line, I guess a reminder here and there are needed. NEVER AGAIN, cheesy Apple, very cheesy!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    they fixed it under warranty
  • Reply 12 of 15
    My macbook is nearly 4 and half months old.I have sent it back to the repair center twice for discoloration problems.Today I noticed hair-line cracks on the outer case on the rear left side between the left speaker outlet and the vent.I called up the Apple care center and was told that this is not a known issue and they will get back to me after consulting their engineers.

Here is the link to the pic of the crack:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97168444@N00/299830822/
  • Reply 13 of 15
    These cracks that i previously had repaird under warranty have started to reappear
  • Reply 14 of 15
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Oh that is not good! Maybe they wil repair it again?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    My macbook was fixed again, i also had to have my macbooks screen replaced, had a unlucky time with my macbook so far, upgradin hard drive soon though