Mouse for mac os x and windows

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am new to the world of mac.

I hope to buy one soon, but I will use it along with parallels software running windows.

I want to know: what about mouse?

I think there are some difference in the buttons and their use.

Because of windows use, I do not think is a good choice to buy an apple mouse.

I will use windows and mac os x the same time so what can I do?

What do I have to know?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Just use the mouse that comes with it, it works great with Windows.

Don't listen to idiots that want you to get a 5-button monstrosity. You'll get carpal tunnel before it actually starts to speed up your workflow.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    You can use any USB mouse there is on this planet. OS X supports two mouse buttons and the Apple mice (Mighty Mouse wireless or wired) have two buttons (click left to have a left click, click on the right side of the scroll ball to get a right-click. You just have to lift your left finder when right-clicking.

Otherwise, Logitech or MS or whatever brand is your favourite have nice Mice that you can use in both Mac and Windows and also in Parallels. Perhaps you need to download the software for additional buttons on your mouse (mostly for Windows, but perhaps also for OS X). Go to the manufacturer's website to do that.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    i'm currently on a pc but am planning to switch to osx. I needed a new mouse recently so decided to make sure i bought one that was compatible for both. I always buy logitech as i have found them to be great over the years, however i noticed that mac wasn't listed as compatible on some of their mice, i think that is due to their software which lets you program the additional buttons (if more than standard 2) so that is something to watch out for. Some of the logitech mice are compatible for both mac and pc though like the logitech LX7 which is the one i bought works great on my pc though havn't got osx yet to test on that but its supported and from what i've read works great on osx. check it out.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I bought a Contour Design UNImouse that plugs into the USB. I love it, works great with both.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I just updated my MBP. (the firmware update)

Now it seems that my mouse sensitivity get's maxed when I put the computer to sleep.

Anyone else has this since the firmware update?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Just use the mouse that comes with it, it works great with Windows.

Don't listen to idiots that want you to get a 5-button monstrosity. You'll get carpal tunnel before it actually starts to speed up your workflow.

Whatever. I guarantee I can hit any one of the 5 buttons faster than I can reach over and hit the *correct* F key on the keyboard. I don't routinely use a mouse with my TiBook so I do make a daily comparision between my ease of accessing Dashboard/Expose and Right click actions with the one mouse button and five mouse button solutions.

I've very happy with my 5 year old Microsoft Intellimouse Optical. No drivers needed and it's far better than any Apple mouse I've used (ADB, ADB2, Puck, Optical).
  • Reply 7 of 8
    oxidoxid Posts: 19member
    HI

I have the Apple Wireless Migthy Mouse and is working great under Mac os X and Windows XP!

just that horizontal and diagonal scrolling is not supported in XP but it works great.

Just got it today and I like it, it's a bit expensive but super of quality.

Greetings

Jeremy Reyniers
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Oooh! A full name. Sweet!