so my stepmom is switching... where to buy and what to install?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
She is getting a white macbook, i am wondering where a good place is to buy in stores. I know the prices are basically all the same, but we want to buy it in store so... any suggestions?

Also, i remember reading an article about making ure mac behave more like windows, not LOOK like windows, but behave more like it.

A few things i would like to do on a mac...

--make it so that when she hits the close button in the top right, it quits that program, doesnt just minimize it to the dock

---make it so that all programs maximize to the largest they can get. It seems from playing with them, that a lot of things don't open fully, which can be kinda frustrating.

Anything else? She just is going to basically be using safari for internet browsing, a little bit of iphoto (is that built in?), and itunes (will need a good easy program to get ipod songs off her ipod and on to mac, its been a few years since i have done this, whats the best app to use these days?)

---so anything else you reccomend i use?

i found this and will be using some of the programs listed--http://flernk.blogspot.com/2006/07/guide-to-os-x-software-for-switchers.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    also what do you reccomend for a word proccessor? It needs to be able to open word documents and also when she saves a file it needs to be able to be opened by word on another computer.

I have heard openoffice, but i dunno...
  • Reply 2 of 18
    You just opened a huge can of worms buddy.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    well, is there already a thread for something similar?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    There are tons. Just browse around, but with your comments about making Mac OS behave like windows, you're going to see a lot about that here.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    found a solution to both of my window action problems!

http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-o...mac-202621.php
  • Reply 6 of 18
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lbjandai

Also, i remember reading an article about making ure mac behave more like windows, not LOOK like windows, but behave more like it.

Sorry to interrupt, but what's the point of buying a Mac and make it behave like a Windows PC? It is probably easier and less expensive to buy a PC (so you have the genuine Windows behavior) and make it look like Mac OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

She is getting a white macbook, i am wondering where a good place is to buy in stores. I know the prices are basically all the same, but we want to buy it in store so... any suggestions?

--make it so that when she hits the close button in the top right, it quits that program, doesnt just minimize it to the dock

---make it so that all programs maximize to the largest they can get. It seems from playing with them, that a lot of things don't open fully, which can be kinda frustrating.

Anything else? She just is going to basically be using safari for internet browsing, a little bit of iphoto (is that built in?), and itunes (will need a good easy program to get ipod songs off her ipod and on to mac, its been a few years since i have done this, whats the best app to use these days?)

i found this and will be using some of the programs listed--http://flernk.blogspot.com/2006/07/guide-to-os-x-software-for-switchers.html

I know you specified you want to buy in a store but I really recommend MacConnection.com. I think they are swell and you'll also get it tax free.

For a word processor, it really depends on what you will be doing with it. There are some good free ones like OpenOffice and AbiWord. Lots of people like Pages which is made by Apple. Personally, I need MS Word because a lot of the documents I create will be opened in Word. I also think Word is actually a pretty good product (the Windows version anyway, I've never used the Mac version which is currently not a universal binary), it would be neat if MS just gave up on their OS and concentrated on getting out a universal binary for Office Mac and ported a version to Linux too.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    I'm gonna go ahead and take the bait.

What you want to do is not really fair, if you have not tried the OS out for a while. Let her see what OS X works like. Wait - if you want something that will behave like windows, but look like OS X, then buy Vista. But otherwise, give it a shot.

Quote:

--make it so that when she hits the close button in the top right, it quits that program, doesnt just minimize it to the dock.

This actually is a huge pain. I can't even begin to describe how annoying it is to have this behavior in Windows Media Player and other programs. Some programs will work well with this, but not most. iPhoto does this because of it's RAM-gobbling, and others because they are usually only opened for one task. But in general I love that I don't have to reopen Safari after I close the active window.

Quote:

I don't care for this; I like to see what else is on my desktop and in other programs. Plus this feature does not mesh with the Human Interface Guidelines. But there are hacks. i'd give it a try first, though, since Apple did it for a reason, after all.

Quote:

iPhoto is bundled. OpenOffice.org is good, and if you can wait, the next version of iWork may be pretty good. Word:mac is also good, with cool non-windows features, but $199 and sluggish.

The easiest way to get songs off an iPod is just to copy all the songs from the harddrive of your old computer onto CDs and moved. It's also less illegal. As an added benefit, once you reconfigure your iPod to work on her Mac, she can use it as a hard drive, which comes in handy for moving large files. Keep in mind that it will only work between two macs.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Drag your applications folder to the dock. It won't let you put a folder with the programs, but you can put it on the other side of the thin grey line in the group with the trash can. Then if she right clicks or clicks and holds on it it'll pop up all the applications. It works similar to the start menu and is much easier for Windows familiars to wrap their head around. I use it to keep only things I use every day on the dock but still have quick access to all my programs.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Buy a Dell, and then install this.

http://osx.portraitofakite.com/

It'll look just like a Mac.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    To be honest, I don't really understand why so many pc users like to make windows look like OSX, I mean, I never really thought OSX was THAT good looking, it's more the way it functions and is organized that got me. It's still better looking than any other stock operating system, but if your going to customize windows, might as well check out the other 100000 visual styles you have to choose from.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Regarding the 'close to quit': You do realize this is because Windows' resource management isn't really robust enough, right? Apps there need to be cleared out of the way whenever possible to make sure that things keep running smoothly. MacOS X? Not so much. I'll have apps running for, well, weeks, without me using them. Why? Because the only resource they take up is a bit of swap space on the disk. That's it. When I want them, they're there, but when I'm not using them, they just get swapped out and wait invisibly.

Basically, you can forget about needing to quit apps for the most part. Well, until you run out of disk space...

So, no reason for that one... when you want the app active, click on its icon in the Dock. That's all you have to remember.

As for the full-screen... yeah, there are a number of threads already on that, and I'm not going to rehash them here. Basically though, the reasons why you'd want to do it on Windows are handled by other mechanisms on MacOS X, and in ways that don't hobble the basics of the UI. Definitely go read the threads though - some of them are good for a laugh.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

I would definitely buy from the Apple Store. They have excellent customer service and excellent order handling, offer EDU discounts if you or someone in your family is a student or educator (the student or educator should order the laptop if possible, but its not entirely necessary), the standard pricing is all pretty much the same, Apple will have the most recent updates applied, and they offer free shipping.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Sounds like you want it to act like Windows.

Buy it. Let her go on the internet, etc. She will do just fine. You on the other hand,...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac

Buy it. Let her go on the internet, etc. She will do just fine. You on the other hand,...

haha. yes, you need to get her used to using a Mac. She will appreciate it more.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac

nah i dont really, but there are a few things that i would like to change for her use
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

nah i dont really, but there are a few things that i would like to change for her use

I would like to change....

why not let her use it and decide, my Aunt (60) went from windows to OSX in one hour! with exclamations of "oh its THAT easy!?!" and " why was windows SO hard??"
  • Reply 18 of 18
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Like the apple in the garden of eden - one bite and your hooked - in the case of the Mac though, this is a very "gooder" thing ! You want Ooh's and Aww's, Apple Mac, for the opposite - well, you know !