Magnetic Attachment to Laptops

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, I just bought my first MacBook and really like the idea of the magnetic power attachment.

Hey Apple! Make that happen with the headphones too! I like to listen to music, or even watch a little DL.TV at work, but I may need to run quickly and don't wanna pull my ears out, or worse yet, pull my laptop off my desk.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick

Ok, I just bought my first MacBook and really like the idea of the magnetic power attachment.

Hey Apple! Make that happen with the headphones too! I like to listen to music, or even watch a little DL.TV at work, but I may need to run quickly and don't wanna pull my ears out, or worse yet, pull my laptop off my desk.

Quick, file a patent, then call Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick

I've done this so many times it's ridiculous. I actually bent the plug on my headphones. I don't know how the laptop stayed on my desk. Magnetic attachment is a great idea, but I really don't think it's that feasible. The 3.5mm jack is just too ubiquitous. I don't think companies like Sennheiser will switch to a new jack just because Apple made it. Maybe if they offered it as an option...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I don't think it's the fact that companies wouldn't switch to it; they probably would, they could just make an adapter to convert it into a generic 3.5mm socket. The issue is that your iPod moves a hell of a lot more in your pocket/back/armband, particularly side-to-side, than a laptop does - the cable is tugged at too regularly from too great a variety of angles for it to be feasible - it would keep disconnecting.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I know my iPod's been saved a couple times because the cord has held it. While the magne-jack would be great for stationary devices, it just wouldn't work too well in mobile audio applications.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    They could have a pair of headphones that comes with the laptop that magnetically attach to a small adaptor you plug into the headphone jack. Easy.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I think it would be better if Apple supported the Bluetooth A2-something stereo audio protocol, then you'd just use Bluetooth headphones. That would be a lot more flexible and there's no worry about accidentally disconnecting anything.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I think it would be better if Apple supported the Bluetooth A2-something stereo audio protocol, then you'd just use Bluetooth headphones. That would be a lot more flexible and there's no worry about accidentally disconnecting anything.

A2DP support is indeed overdue, and fortunately coming in Leopard.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Make a magnetic adapter that you plug the headphone into, something the size of an ipod shuffle (2nd GEN) cut in half would be perfect
  • Reply 9 of 9
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Bluetooth would be a lot easier. Never plug anything into your Mac that has a wire and also attaches to you unless it is Magnetic or Wireless. I learned that the hard way recently when I had to take my Mac in to have the HDD replaced.

Sebastian