program to convert files? ram to mov; wmv to mov???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all.

I need to convert a few .ram/.rm (realvideo) files to standard .mov/ quicktime files

and one .wmv to a .mov file.

I've been trying to find a program that works on a Mac that will do both! Plus, I'm running 10.2.8, which might present a problem.

Please, anyone have any idea how this might be accomplished?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    You could try ffmpegX. This provides a GUI wrapper for the command-line ffmpeg (and other) command-line video-processing utilities. This can handle WMV up to WMV 8, don't know about real media.

However, if the video is WMV 9, the only thing available on the Mac platform to decode that reliably is the flip4mac wmv QuickTime component. To use that to do a conversion, you'll need the "player pro" version of the flip4mac component and QuickTime pro.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

You could try ffmpegX. This provides a GUI wrapper for the command-line ffmpeg (and other) command-line video-processing utilities. This can handle WMV up to WMV 8, don't know about real media.

However, if the video is WMV 9, the only thing available on the Mac platform to decode that reliably is the flip4mac wmv QuickTime component. To use that to do a conversion, you'll need the "player pro" version of the flip4mac component and QuickTime pro.

My problem is i can't get quicktime pro for 10.2.8. It's no longer offered!

I tried FFmpeg, but it did nothing with my wmv file, and it says it handles .ram/ra files, but i had no luck.

thanks for the feedback anyway--
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    There are several open-source movie converters, check VersionTracker.com