Passes POST, but I hear *no* startup sound?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I took my Mac Pro in yesterday to fix a memory issue. They took the computer in the back so I couldn't see what they were doing.

Before going there the startup sound would come on fine. Now when I brought it home, I hear no startup sound at all when I boot my MP. It passes POST fine so I know that's not the issue.

What could be wrong? Could there be a cable somewhere on the mobo they forgot to connect?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Um, the startup sound is the very indication that it has passed POST. Your machine, therefore, does not.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Um, the startup sound is the very indication that it has passed POST. Your machine, therefore, does not.

System Profiler seems to disagree with you.

Power On Self-Test:

Last Runt12/10/06 3:14 PM

ResulttPassed
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Wait, so the machine does boot?

Perhaps the startup sound is on mute, then?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I agree with chucker. if you can boot just fine but hear no start up sound check to make sure the volume is turned on. I have an iMac G5, PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro, and a MacBook C2D all will not make the startup chime if the system volume is turned off.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Nope. The appearance of pixels on the monitor (the gray screen that contains the spinning gear) is the indication that POST is finished. It's when the monitor goes from "off" to having some pixels lit up.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Nope. The appearance of pixels on the monitor (the gray screen that contains the spinning gear) is the indication that POST is finished. It's when the monitor goes from "off" to having some pixels lit up.

Then what, in your opinion, does the startup sound indicate? That the speakers work?