external hard drive for windows and mac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
well im gettin an external hard drive and it has usb and firewire and is compatible with mac and wondows. but can i connect it to both or no?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104

well im gettin an external hard drive and it has usb and firewire and is compatible with mac and wondows. but can i connect it to both or no?

Sure I've a Western Digital external drive and it works fine on both. I've been backing up my photo library to it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Sure I've a Western Digital external drive and it works fine on both. I've been backing up my photo library to it.

so you can save stuff from both windows and mac and access that stuff on both computers?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yes, if you use a file system both operating systems can read from and write to. Typically, that boils down to FAT32. However, if you're okay with purchasing a MacDrive license, you can use HFS+.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    OWC eSata 2 dual drive kit = $80 , 2 barracuda 500 giggers = $420, WiebeTech expresscard 34 dual eSata drive = $120! This has proven to be a fast and stable storage system set-up so far. MacDrive 6 works very well for copying from Mac to Windows. Get a $200 (OEM) from OWC.