MacBook (Black) Superdrive.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recieved my Black MacBook C2D about a week ago and when CD's or DVD's are inserted into the superdive a loud (and I mean loud) click can be heard. The drive seems to function just fine but I went to my local Apple store and put a CD into one of the display black macbooks and the click was not so audible.

Are their others that are having the same problem or could it just be a defect with mine. I upgraded from a 12-inch PowerBook G4 with superdive that did not make this sound. Also have a 15-inch MacBook Pro CoreDuo that does not make the sound either.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    86 views and not one person has an opinion about this??
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I dont have the MB, but if the sound is that loud I would just drop it off at the apple store. The drives are very easy to replace.

I wouldn't imagine there would be much difference in the MBP drive and the MB. /shrug
  • Reply 3 of 11
    is the drive something that can be replaced in the apple store or is it something that that i would need to send it off?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    My MBP goes "click clunk, click clunk", and it's pretty loud.

(Shrugs) Last time I brought it up in a thread seems like most of the super drives on the new machines make a fair amount of noise when a disc gets inserted.

Are you sure the machines at the Apple Store are really louder, or is it that there is a lot more background noise there than at your house?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I took it in today and apple is going to replace the drive. They told me that it is probably nothing but since it is kind of loud compared to the store displays they will replace the drive under warranty.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IdleWanderlust

I took it in today and apple is going to replace the drive. They told me that it is probably nothing but since it is kind of loud compared to the store displays they will replace the drive under warranty.

Do you have to let them send it in or can they order a drive and do it in store?

Now you got me wondering about mine.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Genius Bar.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Mine MB White C2D makes a clunky insert and eject noise other than that its really quite. I don't think its a problem.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IdleWanderlust View Post

I recieved my Black MacBook C2D about a week ago and when CD's or DVD's are inserted into the superdive a loud (and I mean loud) click can be heard. The drive seems to function just fine but I went to my local Apple store and put a CD into one of the display black macbooks and the click was not so audible.

Are there others that are having the same problem or could it just be a defect with mine. I upgraded from a 12-inch PowerBook G4 with superdive that did not make this sound. Also have a 15-inch MacBook Pro CoreDuo that does not make the sound either.

I have had a similar issue with my MacBook Pro 2.16GHz. This is my first time buying an Apple computer (bought it less than a month ago). I have never heard this noise before on my pc laptops (but I guess I shouldn't really compare -- different cd drive technologies), but dismissed it as normal functioning. Such a loud clicking sound can't be good for whatever part is doing it. I mean, that part would wear much more quickly. I don't get any other obvious sounds other than this one.

I just want to know if this is normal or if I should be concerned enough to take it in to get checked.

Thanks,

Rick
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I just got a shiny new Macbook C2D and just started to get a LOUD CONSTANT clicking noise from the CD/DVD drive every 3 seconds when I use the keyboard, and every 12 seconds when the drive is idle.

Is something trying to USE the empty drive, do you think???

Thanks!!!

Tom
  • Reply 11 of 11
    hi_qhi_q Posts: 31member
    ARGH! All these MacBook problems are making me want to come out to each of your homes and fix them for you!!!! Its a fairly simple fix, but ONLY if you know how to disassemble a MacBook!!!

I have taken apart hundreds of MacBooks and all it should take is a simple reseating of the Superdrive. A lot of times, a disconnection of the Superdrive cable and reseating will fix the problem.

Again. GRRRRRRRR I feel so helpless!!!!