Whatcha Reading Now?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    It's been a while since I've read them, but my all-time favorites include:

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (it starts out awfully depressing, but I absolutely loved it)

Spartina by John Casey

The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (Michael Chabon's pulitzer prize winner about two immigrants who work in the comic book industry during its golden age)

Straight Man by Richard Russo

Also recently read iCon, which if you're interested in a brief history of Jobs and Apple, is pretty interesting.

All my friends seem to love Krakauer, though Under the Banner of Heaven was a bit of a disappointment.

And if your family is filled with poor white protestant appalachians, as is mine, I'd strongly recommend Born Fighting, a history of the immigration of Scotts-Irish.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdconway

All my friends seem to love Krakauer, though Under the Banner of Heaven was a bit of a disappointment.

That one just about requires living in Utah to really, really get.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    I picked up a book today, because a friend told me to read the book before I went and saw the movie :]

Perfume by Patrick Süskind

So far so good. ;]
  • Reply 44 of 65
    What Is The What by Dave Eggers
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Slewis: It's been a fun read, especially since Woz himself helped write it; you can hear his voice all through it. He's such a laid back, kind hearted guy.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    "Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths go to Work". Paul Babiak and Robert D. Hare
  • Reply 47 of 65
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Doll

Slewis: It's been a fun read, especially since Woz himself helped write it; you can hear his voice all through it. He's such a laid back, kind hearted guy.

All the more reason to pick it up then. Thanks

Sebastian
  • Reply 48 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdconway

It's been a while since I've read them, but my all-time favorites include:

The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (Michael Chabon's pulitzer prize winner about two immigrants who work in the comic book industry during its golden age)

I loved that book. I would recommend Men of Tomorrow. It chronicle's the originators of Superman, but also the history of comic book publishing and the underworld that ran the publishing business then. I read it right after The Adventures of Kavalier & Clay and noticed how much Chabon had really studied the business and history so well for his book.

I'm almost finished with "The Historian" and I don't know if I would recommend it. Though well written, it just didn't return the promise of being an exciting horror, suspense novel.

What I need now is just an over the top Sci-Fi book or short story anthology. The pulpier the better.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I'm gonna read some Keats over break.

Great stuff.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

David Mitchell - Number9Dream

Have you read his Cloud Atlas? Is Number9Dream better?
  • Reply 51 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ

I'm gonna read some Keats over break.

Great stuff.

You must read Keats out loud. Seriously.

And I think I'm going to read some Browning.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    One of my favorite sonnets:

WHEN I have fears that I may cease to be\t

Before my pen has glean'd my teeming brain,\t

Before high pil`d books, in charact'ry,\t

Hold like rich garners the full-ripen'd grain;\t

When I behold, upon the night's starr'd face,\t 5

Huge cloudy symbols of a high romance,\t

And feel that I may never live to trace\t

Their shadows, with the magic hand of chance;\t

And when I feel, fair creature of an hour!\t

That I shall never look upon thee more,\t 10

Never have relish in the faery power\t

Of unreflecting love;?then on the shore\t

Of the wide world I stand alone, and think,\t

Till Love and Fame to nothingness do sink.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    I forgot two in the cluster I just read:

God's Secretaries (on the production of the King James bible.) And a real good one, The Battle That Stopped Rome (about the annihilation of three Roman legions at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest.)
  • Reply 54 of 65
    Quote:

We presume you've read all of Philip K Dick's work, right?

It's heavier than pure pulp, but a non-stop exciting read:

David Mitchell - Number9Dream

Yeah, I did read "A Scanner Darkly". And the movie was rather close to the book too.

I'm going to try out "Telzey Amberdon" by James H. Schmitz. Kind of retro, but it looks like an interesting character. If I like it I might try the other books in the series.

But I have noticed that the trend now with science fiction and fantasy are books that continue on and on as a series. I don't know if I would want to commit to reading a series. I'd like to read complete books myself.

But I'll give James H. Schmitz a try. At least I can download it for free.

Thanks for the recommendations tonton.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Quote:

The only other part-time job I got as much out of emotionally was being Santa Claus.

The position of Santa Claus is a part-time job? I would have thought that having to live so far up north for the whole year it would be full-time....
  • Reply 56 of 65
    Quote:

I've read Cloud Atlas, and I loved it. Very different than Number9Dream.

I recommend both.

Number9Dream, however, is much more of a no-brain page turner (if you want it to be).

I've also read Mitchell's latest, "Black Swan Green" and I liked it, but didn't love it.

My problem with Cloud Atlas (which I'm teaching next semester) is that I'm not entirely sure there's a there, there, if you know what I mean. Structurally it was very clever, but I'm not sure if it went much beyond that.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    Quote:

That's a great sugggestion. In fact any poetry should be savored out loud.

I taught poetry reading, including Keats, briefly, for a speech festival, and it was an awesome experience. Enough so that I'd love to do it full-time.

The only other part-time job I got as much out of emotionally was being Santa Claus.

Keats, especially, should be read out loud. It's his vowel combinations. They feel good to say.