New Game: Find the iPod on the Space Station.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Can you spot the iPod? -- it figures that the iPod should go to space, eh?

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/...s014e08795.jpg

I don't know who the astronaut / cosmonaut is, so a bonus for the first person who can name the guy in the picture!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    That is cool! I always wondered if hard drives actually worked in a zero-G environment but now I know.

It is easy to add a solid state drive for a laptop, but probably not a iPod. But if it did, it would save battery life and I would really, really want one.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby

That is cool! I always wondered if hard drives actually worked in a zero-G environment but now I know.

It is easy to add a solid state drive for a laptop, but probably not a iPod. But if it did, it would save battery life and I would really, really want one.

Well, the iPod hard drive works in any orientation (i.e. gravity pulling the disks in any direction with respect to the iPod housing), so that it would work in free-fall shouldn't be much of a surprise.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I was thinking the motion sensors in todays laptops lock the drive when in a free-fall. I suppose that is in anticipation of a crash.

To be honest, I haven't really spent a lot of time on this. One of those passing thoughts...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby

I was thinking the motion sensors in todays laptops lock the drive when in a free-fall. I suppose that is in anticipation of a crash.

To be honest, I haven't really spent a lot of time on this. One of those passing thoughts...

I wasn't thinking in terms of that. Very interesting point, though. I was more thinking in terms of whether some of the moving parts are calibrated to take gravity into consideration and if there was no gravity, the disk head would scratch against the disk or something. As far as the iPod goes, I guess their hard drives don't "brace for impact."
  • Reply 5 of 7
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    That's awesome.

As Buzz Lightyear would say; "To infinity, and beyond!"
  • Reply 6 of 7
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It looks like a 4th gen but apple wanting to market their newest players obviously claims its a 5th gen on the apple homepage.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    man... look at all those cameras and lens'