Fiber Optics + Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know it's possible, because I checked like mad to make sure.

But I was just wondering, has anyone else had experiences dealing with Verizon when they were installing their Fiber Optics?

I know I'm going to have to let some unknown person get on my baby and that weirds me out. ;[

They are coming to install Monday. (and boy does my neighborhood need it...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Just make sure they wear gloves and the fiber optic cable is sterilized and you should be fine.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent

Just make sure they wear gloves and the fiber optic cable is sterilized and you should be fine.

All I know is i'll be standing over their shoulders to make sure they don't do anything wrong.

Might even make them sign a release form. Or something.

¬_¬
  • Reply 3 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The installation procedure for the Verizon Fibre optic line is here:

http://web.consumerelectronicsnet.co...e.jsp?id=78065

I wish I had that kind of upload speed. I'm tired of uploads being a fraction of donwloads. It sucks when you are doing video conferencing.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Thanks for the link!

My neighborhood is apparently in the "boonies" because we don't even have DSL here (we have wDSL, which is wireless, and a hassle). No cable company exsists where I live either, so you can imagine... big upgrade for us. :]

It took them roughly 6 months or so from when they started digging to get the lines operational. :/

Well, from what he says, no one will be touching my mac, so that makes me feel more at ease.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I'll move to the boonies if I can use your internet for free...
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

I'll move to the boonies if I can use your internet for free...

You misunderstand me when I say Wireless-- we have to have a big receiver on top of the house to get the "transmission" from the broadcast tower a mile or so away. It's not free, at all. And rather crap.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    FiOS eh?

I wish my Building was configured for it, I'd sign up in a snap *pencil snaps*

Quote:

Maximum Connection Speed\tOne-Time

Installation Fee*\tMonthly

Price

Up to 30 Mbps/5 Mbps\tFREE\t$179.95

Rather Expensive though... Oh how I would love to have that kind of speed when downloading iTunes Movies though. If it takes 30 minutes on a 5 Mbps connection (I have a 3Mbps) then think what FiOS could do for that? A 6 minute download for my next Movie in iTunes? Hook and Sign me up

Enjoy your FiOS though, I know I would
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Well, I got it.

And the guy didn't even touch my mac. <3

And yes, this is pure <3
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adjective

Well, I got it.

And the guy didn't even touch my mac. <3

And yes, this is pure <3

Yay, congrats.

Is it that Mercury of a connection I've always thought it was?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Yay, congrats.

Is it that Mercury of a connection I've always thought it was?

Well, seeing my upload speeds have jumped from maybe 10 kbs to... this.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../speedtest.jpg
  • Reply 11 of 15

I can't wait until FiOS is more widespread then

My Upload speeds according to my 2WIRE router in there are only 512 kbps and my Download speeds 3008 kbps
  • Reply 12 of 15
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    I have Fios at home. Works great on some computers but not all. Computers using ethernet get 15 MB down and 2 MB up. Machines using the original airport only get 3 MB down and 2 MB up. Don't know why and nobody seems to be willing to help....
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anand

I have Fios at home. Works great on some computers but not all. Computers using ethernet get 15 MB down and 2 MB up. Machines using the original airport only get 3 MB down and 2 MB up. Don't know why and nobody seems to be willing to help....

Ah... well unfortunately help with FiOS requires experience with FiOS and it's not very widespread...
  • Reply 14 of 15
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Ah... well unfortunately help with FiOS requires experience with FiOS and it's not very widespread...

True, but when it works it is fast. Also, I think my slow download speed has more to do with the old airport than anything else.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anand

True, but when it works it is fast. Also, I think my slow download speed has more to do with the old airport than anything else.

Oh... I believe Apple just released an update for that. Do you have it configured to use 802.11b instead of g?