Dell Announces Blu-Ray Notebook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With Sony and Dell officially in with Blu-Ray disc notebooks I will be most disappointed if the next MacBook Pro does not offer this as an option. This is the one feature I have been waiting for to finally take the splash and upgrade my laptop. With a HD camcorder and HD TV, I want to be able to burn in HD and play back on TV.

Is that too much to ask?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomster1300

With Sony and Dell officially in with Blu-Ray disc notebooks I will be most disappointed if the next MacBook Pro does not offer this as an option. This is the one feature I have been waiting for to finally take the splash and upgrade my laptop. With a HD camcorder and HD TV, I want to be able to burn in HD and play back on TV.

Is that too much to ask?

Apple was an early adopter of the DVD-R drive. With two options, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD it will be interesting to see what they do, as I recall they sit on the boards of both technologies. Let's hope they do not wait for hybrid drives or we could be waiting a long time.

An interesting update is that the Blu-Ray laptop by Sony is no longer available. Not to mention with Dell, you can only read Blu-Ray and not write. At least there is no mention of a Blu-Ray-R drive (or whatever the lingo is) with Dell.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    There is absolutely no reason to have a Blue Ray read drive on a laptop. Watching 1080 HD on a 17" max laptop screen is complete overkill. The only way they should have a BD in a laptop is if it can write.

Now if it was in the mini or iTV that would be a different story.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority

There is absolutely no reason to have a Blue Ray read drive on a laptop. Watching 1080 HD on a 17" max laptop screen is complete overkill. The only way they should have a BD in a laptop is if it can write.

Now if it was in the mini or iTV that would be a different story.

Yes, I agree. The Blu Ray drive must be able to burn HD discs, not just simply be able to read HD movies. That said, I don't agree there is NO reason to have a BR read-only drive. It is simple enough to hook up a laptop to an HD TV and play movies in high def. Currently, that ability would cost you about a grand were you to purchase a Blu Ray dedicated player.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomster1300

Is that too much to ask?

Have you seen the price of Blu-Ray equipped notebooks??? if you haven't they start at $3,500+, thats way to much for a drive especially if we don't know who will win the format wars. I rather they wait for a hybrid solution that won't break the bank.

But they should add it as a BTO for the Mac Pro atleast and perhaps the iMac.

my 2 cents
  • Reply 5 of 17
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It's not that I don't understand it, but you have to appreciate the effort to show people that Blu-Ray is the choice that has been made by the industry. The whole High Def DVD player is new to this year, and many early adopters have prematurely chosen against the grain of the industry. I don't think they anticipated it to get off to this fast of a start, and now they are sending a clear message. Dell is a perfect example. Why have a DVD player, and not a writer in a computer? I don't think you can mistake that message. Hello.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Yes they are sending a message that if you want Blu-ray in a laptop be prepared to fork out $3Gs.

See if that POS Dell competes with this.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-G35-AV...2?ie=UTF8&s=pc

The industry has not chosen Blu-ray. The industry is the DVD Forum group and they went through a process to choose the DVD successor. Blu-ray wasn't ready.

I'd expect Apple to be a bit smarter than Dell and simply offer BTO options for both HD formats. Or you better give me the option to strip that overpriced Blu-ray drive from the laptop at the very least.

I don't need 50GB of writeable data.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

The industry has not chosen Blu-ray. The industry is the DVD Forum group and they went through a process to choose the DVD successor. Blu-ray wasn't ready.

Blu-ray has been on sale as a commerical product in Japan for years. However, rich producers in the USA had kittens over the prospect of a high-def recordable disk. They kept Blu-ray out of the US until they were satisfied that the medium incorporated DRM to eliminate to possibility of copying high-def content.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Yup DRM is Sony's middle name. LOL
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Hmm... Betamax and Atrac are, apparently, not enough for people to get the point...
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

I don't need 50GB of writeable data.

640k ought to be enough for anybody!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Just give me the damn option to put what the Hell I want in my laptop. I couldn't care less how much it costs just give the option......Blu Ray, HD DVD, or nothing at all. How do we get a "standard" if you don't give people the choice and let the market decide which wins out? I'd choose BR as it could be played on my PS3. If HD DVD wins the day then too bad for me.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

...... I'd expect Apple to be a bit smarter than Dell and simply offer BTO options for both HD formats. .........

I think Apple will just offer BDR like (Alienware) the high end version of DELL does.

I don't see Apple, and Disney in any disagree-ance on this. It's a united front.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

I think Apple will just offer BDR like (Alienware) the high end version of DELL does.

I don't see Apple, and Disney in any disagree-ance on this. It's a united front.

I see them offering BD as well but I also see them offering Blu-ray. Unlike Disney...Apple sells authoring tools which means while there are two formats that are for the most part equal Apple needs to support both tools. Apple is not Disney. They are united around Jobs and frankly I don't think Jobs gives a rip about Blu-ray or HD DVD for that matter.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

There is absolutely no reason to have a Blue Ray read drive on a laptop. Watching 1080 HD on a 17" max laptop screen is complete overkill.

I don't think it's overkill. Given how close the screen usually is to the user, the HD video would be downright stunning.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Given how close the screen usually is to the user, the HD video would be downright stunning.

I agree 100%.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Can a laptop processor/gpu even decode 1080p h.264? I just read something over at anandtech that said you need atleast a C2D 6600 and a decent video card to get no dropped frames off blu ray. Seems like the laptop processor and gpu combo would be completely overwhelmed.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Can a laptop processor/gpu even decode 1080p h.264? I just read something over at anandtech that said you need atleast a C2D 6600 and a decent video card to get no dropped frames off blu ray. Seems like the laptop processor and gpu combo would be completely overwhelmed.

I can't say it's the same thing but my CD 1.86 MBP can play two of the Quicktime 1080p sample videos / trailers from the quicktime HD gallery at the same time without stuttering. It starts stuttering on three videos playing at the same time.