alternative to Apple?s Address Book?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I?m looking for an alternative to Apple?s Address Book.

There would be nothing wrong with this application if it actually worked. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Address Book?s favourite trick is to delete all your contacts. I?ve had this happen to me on two seperate macs and judging by all the ?Address Book Gone!? Postings on Apple?s discussion boards I am far from alone.

I have about 4000 contacts in Address Book which may, or may not account for it?s grinding & soul destroying slowness.

Help! Can any kind person, save me from an imminent nervous breakdown by recommending an alternative to Address book.

Thanks

Robin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    OK. Address Book goes back to NeXTstep. I have personally used it since MacOS X 10.0. I have not heard of anyone on any version of Address Book losing his data until your post here. What did you do before you lost your data?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I too have had the exact same problem, now 3 times in the last week. I've found many others on the Apple Support Dissussions who have also suffered the same Address Book fate. This problem is apparently not that important to the Apple programmers. I migrated from Office X and I'm now questioning WHY??? Anyone with any ideas, suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Again, never heard of this. I don't suppose you two would like to provide links to these discussions, or other corroborating evidence?

(Anytime two or more users with low post counts start making claims that other people have never heard of, it looks suspicious... no offense intended.)

Alrighty, went and looked at the boards at Apple, and you're right, a couple dozen people have reported this problem over the past year. Looks like the common thread is force-quitting Address Book and then restarting it. I wonder what the files look like before it's restarted?

Which OS version are you using? Current on all updates? What is causing AB to hang on you? (ie, are you using Mail, do you use .Mac syncing, or iSync to an iDisk, or another device like a Palm?)
  • Reply 4 of 17
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Address Book has worked fine for me. The only problem is that it isn't suitable for real CRM work.

The platform could really use a version of ACT to supplement it.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    The only Alternatives I know are the ones that live in Email Clients, Gmail, Yahoo, Thunderbird, Entourage, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Two 1-post members claiming something I've never heard before *and* with the same username format to boot.

Suspicious? I am.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Address book has never been a problem for me either...
  • Reply 8 of 17
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Two 1-post members claiming something I've never heard before *and* with the same username format to boot.

Suspicious? I am.

I never would of thunk the fail-proof indicator of someone's Mac knowledge is number of posts on the Apple Insider message boards? Does this theory carry over to other knowledge areas, fields of study, or professions?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown View Post

I never would of thunk the fail-proof indicator of someone's Mac knowledge is number of posts on the Apple Insider message boards? Does this theory carry over to other knowledge areas, fields of study, or professions?

Experience is not the point. They were merely noting that it looks like two people trying to troll, since this is the kind of behavior that is usually associated with mac-hating jackasses.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    More to the point, any time you see a 1-post account jump in to back up a point someone else has made, it's a possible indicator that the original poster made a second account to look like there's grassroots support for their point. When both usernames follow the same pattern, it's another red flag. People tend to come up with similar username patterns when they don't put much thought into it. When neither user ever comes back to actually get an answer to their problem, as shown by them still having one post each, you can pretty much nail it that they were only posting to stir up controversy, instead of get an actual solution, or engage in serious discussion.

ie, trolling.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    OK, I've been around awhile, and I can tell you I just starting having this problem. In fact I posted a thread awhile back "How Time Machine Save Me" or something.

Its good to be skeptical, but this isn't totally bogus. And there are quite a few threads at Apple about this one. In any case, I would back up your address book now, whether you believe us or not.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Never a problem here, either.

Gave the Apple Discussion boards a quick lok and could not find evidence of "all the ?Address Book Gone!? Postings on Apple?s discussion boards ". A couple of newbies had posted things, very similar to what came up here.

Trolls, I believe.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Kickaha... it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you!
  • Reply 15 of 17
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    NightHawk looks pretty cool. Not sure when it'll be released though.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Never a problem here, either.

Gave the Apple Discussion boards a quick lok and could not find evidence of "all the ?Address Book Gone!? Postings on Apple?s discussion boards ". A couple of newbies had posted things, very similar to what came up here.

Trolls, I believe.

Well I'm telling you it as happened to me twice, and I have been using Macs for twenty years. So, no they are not trolls.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    And, as I pointed out in my first response in this thread, there is a thread about this on Apple's Support site. It's not bogus, but it may be very rare. ie, something to be aware of, but not freak out over.

Multiple low-post-count users with similar names backing each other up is still a red flag indicator for trolling, however.