Basic HD Video Editing on iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Quick question for all you video/tech folks.

Time for a new computer. I am just starting to download camcorder video to my PC and expect I will go to a HD camcorder in about a year. I intend to do a bit of editing of family/personal stuff - and burn out DVD's - nothing very taxing. Nothing else I would do needs more power.

The issue gets to processors. I have rationalized the iMac and the inability to use the screen after I retire the computer in 3-4 years (it kills me that I can't use as a monitor). But I am sorely tempted by the "need" for Conroe (particularly if I want to hold onto this for 3-4 years and switch to HD). Also I had heard that the Apple iMovie/Dvd program is a bit ... basic - though as I am not a video editor it may be just fine for me. I doubt I am going to crash the system, but if a 2.66 Conroe doubles my performance (more or less) - in three years with HD content I might really miss that.

Thoughts or Advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I do quite a bit of editing on my Mac.

You don't need a particularly high-end machine to edit standard DV. For HD, the newer machines will help - the main benefit will be in rendering effects. iMovie, which comes with new Macs is a great little program. It is ideal for making family videos. It looks simple, but is really quite powerful and reliable. Apple update it each year, so it keeps getting better.

If you really want more a more powerful package - Final Cut Express is the next stop up - but unless you want those features, it is overkill. If you do a significant amount of video editing, invest in an external hard drive to keep your footage.

Burning to DVDs is simple - but you won't get HD content on them for a while.

If you want to keep your machine for 3 or 4 years. Get the fastest processor you can. When you want to retire the machine, consider selling it. Macs really retain their value. 3 year old G4 iMacs are still selling on Ebay for $600+

C.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I agree with Carniphage. I have a new 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.33 Ghz and 2 GB RAM and it works great with iMovie and iDVD. But before this I had a 1st generation flat panel iMac that was 8oo Mhz so the new one is a major step up. If you need it now I'd get it now. The new imacs are great although I'd stick with the 20" unless you need the 24" screen and are willing to pay for it. Except for firewire 800 and a somewhat beter video card you can spec them out pretty much the same. The only thing I'm missing is 500 GB hard drive but I use an external HD for my video anyway. Good luck.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Still feel that I will miss iMac not having a Conroe type chip but since you guys actually do this sure you are right. The idea that I could a meaningful jump in performance (30-50%) just irks me.

It also sounds like I should worry about HD and HD content with my next purchase and let 3-4 years of microprocessor development catch up. Good advice about the resell - and I am likely going with the 20" - although the resale option after say 3 years might get me thinking differently. Will try iMovie and then see if I need to go up to Final Cut, doubt I will need it.

I'll wait for the next refresh and jump on in with the 2007 software versions and the newest fast chip - though I guess Leopard might cause me to delay. Assume I should get the 256mb video card.

Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keenspoon

Still feel that I will miss iMac not having a Conroe type chip but since you guys actually do this sure you are right. The idea that I could a meaningful jump in performance (30-50%) just irks me.

It also sounds like I should worry about HD and HD content with my next purchase and let 3-4 years of microprocessor development catch up. Good advice about the resell - and I am likely going with the 20" - although the resale option after say 3 years might get me thinking differently. Will try iMovie and then see if I need to go up to Final Cut, doubt I will need it.

I'll wait for the next refresh and jump on in with the 2007 software versions and the newest fast chip - though I guess Leopard might cause me to delay. Assume I should get the 256mb video card.

Thanks

The Conroes are almost identical to Merom(in iMac). Conroes haver a faster FSB and clock faster, that's all. I don't think you would see a 50% greater performance in a Conroe machine over a 2.3 ghz Merom iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Well the Apple taps out at 2.33 Merom - as I understand it I can get 15-20% from going Conroe and 15-20% by investing in a faster chip (although everyone has a different benchmark claim - and of course it depends on program). And of course the faster chip is not an option unless I go MacPro - though hoping it will be on the next refresh.

Of course if the only thing that slows something down is rendering and it is 90 seconds instead of 60 seconds 5-6 times when pulling together a CD it is frustrating - though not really a problem. That's all.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keenspoon

Well the Apple taps out at 2.33 Merom - as I understand it I can get 15-20% from going Conroe....

First things first, I was all for conroe going into iMac and argued that point in these forums. The difference according to some here at the forums is 5% same clock speed comparing Conroe to Merom. This makes sense as the only difference between Conroe and Merom is the slightly faster FSB between Conroe (1000MHz) and Merom(667MHz).

Conroe's main advantages as a desktop chip, IMO, are the higher clock speeds and the fact it is cheaper than Merom. Having said that, Merom is pretty damn fast. I've a MBP with the 2.16 GHz C2D chip and it flat out flies. I'm hoping to replace my wifes desktop this coming year with an iMac. I wish conroe was in it but it's still pretty good with Merom.