Adobe Photoshop CS3 beta to drop this friday

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Exclusive: Adobe Systems Inc. on friday will make available for download an early public beta of its next-generation graphics editor, Photoshop CS3, but will otherwise abstain from delivering pre-release copies of other Creative Suite 3.0 applications.

People familiar with the matter tell AppleInsider that Adobe chief executive Bruce Chizen will formally announce plans for the beta release during the company's fiscal fourth quarter conference call with analysts and members of the media on Thursday.

On the other hand, those same people say that the San Jose, Calif.-based software developer does not plan to release or discuss details of other Creative Suite 3.0 applications, such as Illustrator, Dreamweaver and InDesign.

The Photoshop CS3 beta, which will be posted to the Adobe Labs website on friday, will include Adobe Bridge and Device Central components, and be available simultaneously for both the Mac and Windows operating systems.

People familiar with the Macintosh version of the editor confirm it to be a Universal Binary which "simply screams" on Apple Computer's new Intel-based hardware. However, they tell AppleInsider that this week's beta will include only the standard version of Photoshop CS3.

In its labs, Adobe has also been developing an "Advanced" version of Photoshop CS3 -- geared towards the video and science markets -- with enhanced capabilities for the most demanding and specialized images.

Among the many features expected in Photoshop CS3 Advance, due alongside Creative Suite 3.0 in March, are: Vanishing Point 2, HDR support, rotoscoping, Dicom support, 3D file support, and a fast fourier transform filter.

In order to download the Photoshop CS3 beta, users will need a valid serial number to one of the various Creative Suite 2.0 distributions. The release will be made available exclusively in English, AppleInsider has been told, but that will not preclude users of international distributions from participating in the beta test.

Although Adobe will welcome feedback on Photoshop CS3 beta through the Adobe Labs forums, it will not be providing technical support on the release.

Word of Adobe's intentions to hold an early CS3 beta was reportedly exclusively by AppleInsider this past weekend.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    How exactly does someone get a hold of one of these public betas? Is it available for free on their website?
  • Reply 2 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

How exactly does someone get a hold of one of these public betas? Is it available for free on their website?

You download from Adobe labs, just like Lightroom.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    APPLE SHOULD buy adobe
  • Reply 4 of 62
    Sweet!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribbean_mac

APPLE SHOULD buy adobe

Not gonna happen in our lifetime I bet...just like Intel buying Nvidia, which would seem more realistic actually..
  • Reply 6 of 62
    It is not fast fourier transform.

It is fast Fourier transform.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Fourier
  • Reply 7 of 62
    You know I used Fourier Transform IR Spectrometer today but don't have a clue how it worked. all i did was put my cell in the machine and got a high resolution spectrograph from it. Other then working vibrational and rotational data (force constants etc) from the graph it is just a name to me.

but your right it should be a capital F since it is named after someone.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Interesting news about the advanced version. What will the price diff be anyway? I plan on getting the standards, but forget about the web tools. I'll never use that and I don't wanna pay for it.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa

Not gonna happen in our lifetime I bet...just like Intel buying Nvidia, which would seem more realistic actually..

AMD and ATI are buddies, why wouldn't Intel by Nvidia? I think that could very easily happen.

I think Apple SHOULD buy Adobe, but it aint guna happen soon I agree.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    "People familiar with the Macintosh version of the editor confirm it to be a Universal Binary which "simply screams" on Apple Computer's new Intel-based hardware. However, they tell AppleInsider that this week's beta will include only the standard version of Photoshop CS3."

So, they are going to let you download the crippled version? Why not just wait until Vista is out for cripes sakes?! Oh no, don't let Mac users get the good taste first.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    "drop"

Wow.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac

"People familiar with the Macintosh version of the editor confirm it to be a Universal Binary which "simply screams" on Apple Computer's new Intel-based hardware. However, they tell AppleInsider that this week's beta will include only the standard version of Photoshop CS3."

So, they are going to let you download the crippled version? Why not just wait until Vista is out for cripes sakes?! Oh no, don't let Mac users get the good taste first.

i don't think that's what it's saying. I agree that it's a poorly worded explaination, but I think what was being said is as follows:

Photoshop CS3 will be Universal. Assumedly the public beta will also be.

Photoshop CS3 will come in two flavors - standard and advanced. Only the standard is available as a beta download. It has nothing to do with platform, but feature set.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OBJRA10

Photoshop CS3 will come in two flavors - standard and advanced. Only the standard is available as a beta download. It has nothing to do with platform, but feature set.

So we're gonna get Photoshop in two versions now, like After Effects.

Does anyone know what the differences between Standard and Advanced will be ? More video features in Advanced ?
  • Reply 14 of 62
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR

So we're gonna get Photoshop in two versions now.

Photoshop had two versions since Elements came out. It is missing some high end features like 16-bit support I think.

I like this news because it gives hope that the CS3 suite may be launched sooner than expected. That's classic marketing. Convince everyone that it's still 6 months away and then release it in 1 month creating some illusion that it's early when in fact it's still nearly a year late.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR

Does anyone know what the differences between Standard and Advanced will be ? More video features in Advanced ?

RTFA
  • Reply 16 of 62
    Hmm, I'm somewhat happy, but man, I could sure use an Illustrator CS3 beta right now.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

RTFA

Oops ...
  • Reply 18 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

RTFA too....! "In order to download the Photoshop CS3 beta, users will need a valid serial number to one of the various Creative Suite 2.0 distributions. The release will be made available exclusively in English, AppleInsider has been told, but that will not preclude users of international distributions from participating in the beta test."
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Frack! ...Time to look for one of those "valid serial numbers" I have floating around

muah ahah ah aha h ha h ahaha ha
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Oh wait, I don't have a MacIntel.