Octo-Core coming very soon to a Pro Mac near you?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just from Maccentral:

Intel speeds up introduction of quad-core chip

By Robert Mullins, IDG News Service

Intel says it has rushed introduction of a new quad-core chip originally scheduled for next year to Monday to meet demand from server manufacturers for the processor.

Intel is shipping the Xeon 5335 processor two months ahead of schedule as an addition to its 5300 series of quad core processors.

Quad cores, which allow the microprocessor package to perform up to four functions simultaneously, were first introduced by Intel in November. Intel has been pushed by rival Advanced Micro Devices plans to launch a quad-core release in 2007.

Full article at:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/12/11/xeon/index.php

It seems the Octo-core will be here very soon. Maybe MWSF, but I believe for sure before February. Plus the idea of Adobe CS3 beta coming out very soon and After Effects 8 for Spring makes very exciting to get this new Pro Mac.

I think now it's time to put my Quad G5 on Ebay!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy

It seems the Octo-core will be here very soon. Maybe MWSF, but I believe for sure before February. Plus the idea of Adobe CS3 beta coming out very soon and After Effects 8 for Spring makes very exciting to get this new Pro Mac.

I think now it's time to put my Quad G5 on Ebay!

Or you could just, you know, wait until the Octo Core arrives
  • Reply 2 of 54
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    sure, but I might get a better price now.

But, I won't sell until get's out anyway. I need a fast machine to work.

But most important is that it seems that Adobe is on schedule to release CS3 and AE8 on spring. that's huge for somebody like me that makes a living using Adobe and Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    They're gonna be pricey!
  • Reply 4 of 54
    I think I'll wait till spring to get my Octo-core. THat way ill have more money and then I can see some more reputable benchmarks from macworld. From what I have seen the performance upgrade boosts the Mac pro by 20-30%, but I hope it's higher than that. Btw does anyone know some good benchmarks for games running windows through bootcamp?

The Major plus++ will be when bootcamp is intergrated in OSX leopard. I heard that you will be able to switch between windows and OSX with great ease by then.

WAIT FOR LEOPARD!!!
  • Reply 5 of 54
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neophytepwner

The Major plus++ will be when bootcamp is intergrated in OSX leopard. I heard that you will be able to switch between windows and OSX with great ease by then.

Without rebooting the machine? How?
  • Reply 6 of 54
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neophytepwner

WAIT FOR LEOPARD!!!

Why do so many people not understand what bootcamp is? It partitions your drive and burns a drivers CD. It doesn't do virtualization, it doesn't do fancy OS switching, it just helps you install Windows. Integrated in Leopard just means they will bundle it with the system. Apple doesn't want you to encourage the use of Windows, they only provide a way to use it.

The absolute best I'd hope for is some sort of hibernation mode but my experience with the MBP one wasn't too good. It stopped the keyboard working until I rebooted.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

Without rebooting the machine? How?

I believe he is referring to a Rumor about using Fast User Switching to switch between Windows and Mac OS X. The chances of this are very low unless they release a utility that you install in your Windows Partition to access Fast User Switching.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Why do so many people not understand what bootcamp is? It partitions your drive and burns a drivers CD. It doesn't do virtualization, it doesn't do fancy OS switching, it just helps you install Windows. Integrated in Leopard just means they will bundle it with the system. Apple doesn't want you to encourage the use of Windows, they only provide a way to use it.

The absolute best I'd hope for is some sort of hibernation mode but my experience with the MBP one wasn't too good. It stopped the keyboard working until I rebooted.

Well the fact that Boot Camp is still in beta and Apple does not reveal features of products that are still in development, we have every reason to believe that Apple will make Boot Camp into something more innovative. Remember, Boot Camp is also just the preview name, not the shipping name.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

I believe he is referring to a Rumor about using Fast User Switching to switch between Windows and Mac OS X. The chances of this are very low unless they release a utility that you install in your Windows Partition to access Fast User Switching.

Any one else remember "Switcher"--- now there was a great idea which I used a lot when going back and forth between English and Japanese systems on, what was it, OS 7 or so?
  • Reply 10 of 54
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Parallels gets you 99% of the way there. No need for this other rumor.

Me, I'm waiting on "CoreWindows."
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT

Me, I'm waiting on "CoreWindows."

There's a Disgusting thought, as if Windows could ever truly be a part of Mac OS X
  • Reply 12 of 54
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I believe he is referring to a Rumor about using Fast User Switching to switch between Windows and Mac OS X.

This does not make sense. Who would like to have his documents in different accounts, especially when said documents may be needed in the same account for easy access and eventually tested in different OS's at the same time (OS X-Windows)?

I think with the Leopard workspaces and the Parallels software (can it run fullscreen actually?), you can have the best of both worlds without rebooting the machine or changing the user account to access your documents. Perhaps Apple should consider buying them to secure the future and development of the software (we saw what happened with VPC).
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Quote:

There's a Disgusting thought, as if Windows could ever truly be a part of Mac OS X

CoreWindows = 90% implementation of the Win32/*.NET API for Mac OS X where applications must be compiled. It's not binary support, but an analogue of Carbon. This way a lot of Windows apps can be ported quickly and behave somewhat like a native Mac app.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Quote:

I think with the Leopard workspaces and the Parallels software (can it run fullscreen actually?), you can have the best of both worlds without rebooting the machine or changing the user account to access your documents. Perhaps Apple should consider buying them to secure the future and development of the software (we saw what happened with VPC).

That could work

Quote:

CoreWindows = 90% implementation of the Win32/*.NET API for Mac OS X where applications must be compiled. It's not binary support, but an analogue of Carbon. This way a lot of Windows apps can be ported quickly and behave somewhat like a native Mac app.

Ah... yes well even then, there are a lot of Apps on Windows that you just plain don't want.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT

Of course, it's also a completely made up fantasy of some people with too much time on their hands.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Of course, it's also a completely made up fantasy of some people with too much time on their hands.

Exactly and it's the reason I've just ended up using Bootcamp. Crossover is one such implementation and it just doesn't work well enough. Parallels keeps messing with my VM and slowing my whole machine down and it also wastes a lot of space. Between Crossover and Parallels, I was using enough space to justify a Bootcamp partition.

It's a nice idea and I'd be over the moon if Apple pulled it off because an octo Mac Pro that could run all the systems simultaneously would be a developer's dream. However I'm also realistic about what Apple can deliver and early reports of Leopard's development don't look promising to me.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:

However I'm also realistic about what Apple can deliver and early reports of Leopard's development don't look promising to me.

Even though you'll likely have to upgrade to continue using boot camp?

is it possible to boot from an External hdd without bothering with anything?
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Fantasy, yes I agree. But it's virtually the only strategic path to Mac OS X world dominance. It is simply to costly for software developers to port their software to Carbon or Cocoa.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:

Even though you'll likely have to upgrade to continue using boot camp?

Yeah, that is a bit suspicious. There seems to be a time limit on the use of Bootcamp and it would be very bad of Apple to disable the use of Bootcamp under Tiger and so force some people to buy Leopard but I can see it happening. Does anyone know if this time limit is fixed and embedded somewhere in Bootcamp? It may give a good indication about Leopard's release date.

It may be an idea to use Bootcamp to set up a partition even if you didn't plan to use it for a while because all Bootcamp does is make the partition and burn the drivers CD. Once you have it, the time limit won't affect your ability to run/install Windows.

Quote:

is it possible to boot from an External hdd without bothering with anything?

I'm afraid not. Windows is incapable of booting from external drives without hacking the installer CD and it's the same with Vista. In keeping with tradition, Microsoft have another version of Windows called Windows embedded to do this but I don't know if it works on the Intel Macs.

Windows has a 32-bit version, a 64-bit version, a home version, a pro version, a media center edition and an embedded version. If only they could follow Apple's lead and give you all that in one release eh?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT

it's virtually the only strategic path to Mac OS X world dominance. It is simply to costly for software developers to port their software to Carbon or Cocoa.

Conversely, you could say that it is a way to help Microsoft into greater dominance because you'd encourage putting Windows onto a large percentage of Macs. Then where does that leave OS X? We want ports of houdini, XSI, AutoCAD etc, we don't want the developers to give us easy instructions for installing Windows.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:

Yeah, that is a bit suspicious. There seems to be a time limit on the use of Bootcamp and it would be very bad of Apple to disable the use of Bootcamp under Tiger and so force some people to buy Leopard but I can see it happening. Does anyone know if this time limit is fixed and embedded somewhere in Bootcamp? It may give a good indication about Leopard's release date.

It may be an idea to use Bootcamp to set up a partition even if you didn't plan to use it for a while because all Bootcamp does is make the partition and burn the drivers CD. Once you have it, the time limit won't affect your ability to run/install Windows.

I'm afraid not. Windows is incapable of booting from external drives without hacking the installer CD and it's the same with Vista. In keeping with tradition, Microsoft have another version of Windows called Windows embedded to do this but I don't know if it works on the Intel Macs.

Windows has a 32-bit version, a 64-bit version, a home version, a pro version, a media center edition and an embedded version. If only they could follow Apple's lead and give you all that in one release eh?

Good Point, but didn't Boot Camp originally require a Firmware update to use it? If so they could just make it impossible to access the partition until you upgrade.

As for the external HDD... I was actually interested in running GNU/Linux Fedora Core off of an External. I remember taking my Mac in and they (Genius Bar) booted my Mac up using a Partition on a Seperate HDD by using "Target Mode" or something like that at startup.

Sebastian