Apple offers developers new build of Leopard operating system

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stustanley

sorry, it's another finder annoyance, it should open the finder when you drag files and hover over the finder icon, just like how it opens the finder if you drag files and hover over macintoshhd or any other folder/disk.

stu

I just tried that, and by golly your right, the finder does not open when you drag a file on top of it! That is f%$#&* annoying!
  • Reply 22 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I totally forgot about having the same, simple cut/copy/paste features that Windows has mastered. Also, when dragging an item to a new folder that isn't shown in the current Finder window I wish it scrolled more intuitively.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    The one feature I would love to see from Windows is the ability to rename, delete or modify files or folders from Open or Save dialog boxes. You would think in a next generation OS this should have been an option to do since 10.0!
  • Reply 24 of 49
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Feynman: I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mac Open/Save dialog boxes suck and have been behind Windows for a decade. That's kind of embarassing. And it annoys me daily.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    It's an Open and Save dialog, guys. Not some frickin' file manager. The Finder exists for that...if the Open and Save dialog sheets gained these features, the Finder would be out of a job.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic

Feynman: I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mac Open/Save dialog boxes suck and have been behind Windows for a decade. That's kind of embarassing. And it annoys me daily.

Agree. On a practical point, Default Folder does this and is indispensible. Just should be built in.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

It's an Open and Save dialog, guys. Not some frickin' file manager. The Finder exists for that...if the Open and Save dialog sheets gained these features, the Finder would be out of a job.

The Open/Save Dialog box is part of Finder, so adding a requested, useful and convenient functionality to it should not have been overlooked for so long. Especially in light of the fact that WIndows has had this functionality since the introduction of explorer.exe.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

The Open/Save Dialog box is part of Finder, so adding a requested, useful and convenient functionality to it should not have been overlooked for so long. Especially in light of the fact that WIndows has had this functionality since the introduction of explorer.exe.

No it's not...wtf you talkin' about.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Is the update available via softweare update?
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Quote:

The OS X Open and Save dialog boxes really are poorly designed and better be fixed and spit-shined in Leopard! In Windows if I want to rename a file in the Open and Save window I can. If you don't want to then you never ever have to know the feature is even available. But it should at least be there for the rest of us.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

It doesn't matter what it is but what is functional. Trust me, being a die hard Mac user by default and having to use Windows at work 8 plus hours a day I find this feature to be both useful and functional all the bloody time!
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:

Changing File types/extensions, renaming, cutting, copying and pasting files from open/save dialogs is sometimes convenient, but I'm a geek. I pay attention to what I'm doing and I can fix most anything that I'm capable of screwing up, but this feature in Windows has still caused me almost as much trouble as it has convenience. AND it does have bugs, such as clicking a file to use its name with minor changes, and it not recognizing what I changed so my original file gets replaced. It's rare, but it has happened to me several times.

I shudder to think what happens to my mom when she can accidentally completely rename and alter the file type of a file without realizing what she's done. Because it's a Mac, I think it's best that this be left to third-party hacks that geeks can install, but that my mom will never see.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

The Open/Save Dialog box is part of Finder

Right. Uhhuh.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Unfortunately, I think a lot of the upgrades are going into the razzle-dazzle "stuff" like Time Machine.

(edited for mild profanity )
  • Reply 35 of 49
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Unfortunately, I think a lot of the upgrades are going into the razzle-dazzle shit like Time Machine.

You mean a new UI? Well pretty much... but the UI is one of the most important Elements of anything. Leopard is starting to much more solid then it was at WWDC, where most of that could have just been added through Software update (iChat AV, Safari, etc.)

I can care less about the pieces of Software that come with it, I find the way Apple does things with Software updates leaves much to be desired, especially if individual Apps are treated as OS components. It's the OS Components like the UI that I really want to see, it is these things that makes Mac OS X worth using, otherwise Apple also doesn't mind if I just wipe the HDD and install Windows ya know :P

Macworld can't come soon enough

Sebastian
  • Reply 36 of 49
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbear01

Changing File types/extensions, renaming, cutting, copying and pasting files from open/save dialogs is sometimes convenient, but I'm a geek. I pay attention to what I'm doing and I can fix most anything that I'm capable of screwing up, but this feature in Windows has still caused me almost as much trouble as it has convenience. AND it does have bugs, such as clicking a file to use its name with minor changes, and it not recognizing what I changed so my original file gets replaced. It's rare, but it has happened to me several times.

I shudder to think what happens to my mom when she can accidentally completely rename and alter the file type of a file without realizing what she's done. Because it's a Mac, I think it's best that this be left to third-party hacks that geeks can install, but that my mom will never see.

I can definitely see both points of view. While it can be a useful and time saving feature, for the novice or uninformed user, it can have tragic consequences if things are accidentally clicked and the user isnt paying attention - not an uncommon thing to be honest, even for the experienced user.

This is why I think there should be a opt-in function to allow this, and other features - "Advanced Finder" mode if you will, similar to, but opposite of "Simple Finder". This would provide the best of both worlds!
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer

Well, I hope its more 'bolt-on' stuff. Its kind of late in the development cycle to be spitting out new under-the-hood features and expect developers to make use of them, and then users get pissed because some new "made for leopard" app doesn't use some nifty new OS feature. Or the developers delay the product to use that nifty new feature, and users get pissed because the software isn't available yet.

Also, while those under-the-hood things sound great to developers and geeks (take CoreAudio and CoreVideo, etc), its hard to sell to the masses (Leopard, now with Core Smell and Core Taste!), whereas some bolt-on crap (like Dashboard or Mail) or UI changes are visual and easy for a user to understand.

M$ have beat them to that one: Core - vista is makin my computer smell! and Core! m$ have no taste!
  • Reply 38 of 49
    Quote:

I totally forgot about having the same, simple cut/copy/paste features that Windows has mastered. Also, when dragging an item to a new folder that isn't shown in the current Finder window I wish it scrolled more intuitively.

You can copy/paste files in OSX. No cut, tough.

The idea behind this was that there's too much chance for accidentally deleting files this way. But why not introducing 'undo deleting file' then (cmd-z) ?

You could always make it an option.

The big picture here is how far you can simplify things -to avoid mistakes- without being patronizing.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

Unless they push Leopard out to June or something.

You mean just long enough to be called a Vista (by then SP1) copycat? never gonna happen.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

In the accompanying documentation, Apple reportedly warned developers about unresolved Finder crashes when mounting AFP volumes and Active Directory quirks.

I speak for many network professionals when I sat "WHY <stab> won't <stab> you <stab> DIE<stab> Allpetalk protocol suit <stab><stab><stab>!!!?!?!!?!?"