iPhone to sport metal casing and virtual click-wheel?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Morgan Stanley analyst Rebecca Runkle in a research note released Wednesday said she is high in her convictions that Apple will launch an iPhone device in the first half of 2007 and offered some specific findings from unnamed sources.

"While we view the supplier list, build forecast and exact launch timing as dynamic over the next month, our recent supply chain conversations give us high conviction in a [first half 2007] iPhone launch," she wrote. "We expect Steve Jobs to announce the iPhone at Macworld or in a separate event early next year.

To date, the analyst says her sources have turned up two flash memory-based models: a $599 4-gig and $649 8-gig. "We assume a slightly lower list price to be conservative," she said.

According to Runkle, the design of iPhone will be slightly larger than the "full screen LCD; 3.5 inch (28x21)" and approximately 4/10ths of an inch thick. It will include a virtual click-wheel/soft-touch design and be a bit wider than the iPod nano but also thinner than a video iPod.

From her checks, the analyst believes the iPhone will sport a metal casing design similar to the iPod nano and be available in "multiple colors including black, white, silver and possibly others."

In terms of functionality, Runkle expects camera, digital audio playback and video. Also likely, but not confirmed, are email and calendar functionality, she said.

Similarly, the analyst is a bit uncertain about which wireless carrier will support the device, but said Cingular is "likely" in the US market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    Seems a bit too $$ to me. Unless that is the unlocked no contract price.

But I'm a bit hesitant to believe anything that someone with a name like "Rebecca Runkle" has to say.

This report shouts fake to me.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    metal casing.... I hope they'll get signal reception and battery life to be acceptable..

I have a Nokia 8800.. beautiful metal phone.. but signal reception is crap and the battery doesn't last a day. Can't wait to change this phone for another, but similarly beautiful, design.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    All those analysts keep saying the same..."well we think it's going to have a click-wheel AND metal casing, I mean that's not even news.. Everyone who read a bit about it, thinks so. And a new screen-size isn't to wow either I think.

*I'm thinking the iphone is going to replace one or more of the ipod family and put a phone in it. (i'm not a analyst, just hoping )
  • Reply 4 of 58
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Have you heard about the financial services bonuses this year?

For that much $$ they could do better than read these forums.

C'mon go out and get some real info people.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark wiechmann

*I'm thinking the iphone is going to replace one or more of the ipod family and put a phone in it. (i'm not a analyst, just hoping )

I don't really see that happening (assuming, of course, that all these mobile rumours are true). The mobile and stand-alone iPod family cater to different markets. If these rumours do pan out, Apple will most likely keep the ipod family as it is (keeping in mind any new additions to the family---"true" video iPod 'I am looking at YOU'").

Just my thoughts...
  • Reply 6 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nufase

Seems a bit too $$ to me. Unless that is the unlocked no contract price.

But I'm a bit hesitant to believe anything that someone with a name like "Rebecca Runkle" has to say.

This report shouts fake to me.

Yep, She's issuing fake information in a note to her clients so their portfolio will decrease in value. What a smart idea that would be.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    This is an odd time to introduce a new phone. The idea of a cell phone tower is fading technology. Soon these towers will be converted to broadband internet towers, a la Wimax, and you'll be using VoIP software to make ALL calls. Apple, and everyone else, knows this.

But the infrastructure isnt there yet for iChat (VoIP) only phone, so they need to do something in the meantime for bandwidth. I dont think they can keep putting the iPhone off either. Otherwise the iPhone becomes the Zune.... late. This guy thinks apple is going to go ESPN route and buy bandwidth:

http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/22383 (also linked on macnn.com)

I would think Apple would do better to make a deal with the carriers. As long as verizon has proved that they understand the basic concepts of math. (verizonmath is a hilarious site) Still, we won't see what Apple can really do until the infrastructure is there for a true VoIP type mobile phone.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    sounds fake. as of now if the phone does exist then I will believe what kevin rose has to say about it, not someone from an investment firm that could be just trying to push more stock.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    WiMax is one completely overlooked Possibility for Apple staying independant...
  • Reply 10 of 58
    Nah, she's got nuthin'! I say the woman is bluffing...
  • Reply 11 of 58
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    What's all this WiMax bollocks? Where is the global WiMax network. Rubbish.

Oh and Rebecca's just making shit up.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Its just not ready yet. The only US company using even a precurser to WiMax is Clearwire, and their speeds are still too slow to compete with Cable and DSL. There are more test sites beign conducted around the globe, but security and speed is going to keep the fastest 802.16 networks from the US for at least a year or two.

From WimaxForum.org

"Mobile network deployments are expected to provide up to 15 Mbps of capacity within a typical cell radius deployment of up to three kilometers"

three kilometers? Weak. It gets slower the further away you get.

Still, eventually Apple to going to need to provide Aiport with 802.16 compatibility. I think Intel's influence will only help move that along. Remember that "device" they were working on together?
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Mobile VoIP..you must be kidding. VoIP isn't widely deployed to consumers yet. Vonage and other VoIP carriers are doing ok, but the number of new subscribers is dying down. In 5 years, maybe, but I think that's pushing it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000

This is an odd time to introduce a new phone. The idea of a cell phone tower is fading technology. Soon these towers will be converted to broadband internet towers, a la Wimax, and you'll be using VoIP software to make ALL calls. Apple, and everyone else, knows this.

But the infrastructure isnt there yet for iChat (VoIP) only phone, so they need to do something in the meantime for bandwidth. I dont think they can keep putting the iPhone off either. Otherwise the iPhone becomes the Zune.... late. This guy thinks apple is going to go ESPN route and buy bandwidth:

http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/22383 (also linked on macnn.com)

I would think Apple would do better to make a deal with the carriers. As long as verizon has proved that they understand the basic concepts of math. (verizonmath is a hilarious site) Still, we won't see what Apple can really do until the infrastructure is there for a true VoIP type mobile phone.

• Reply 14 of 58
    Quote:

agreed. long time ago one of the rumors was that apple was going to install towers in their retail stores (or near). how hard would this actually be?
  • Reply 15 of 58
    A perfect example of how these analysts have no clue what the iPhone is or what it will look like. We're getting conflicting reports from different analysts, and they're all full of sh**.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Lets not forget there are supposed to be two different phones. A basic nano-like version and an advanced multifuntion device. This sounds like the latter. I think they are getting the specs and prices mixed up between the two.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

What do you mean "independent"? A company does not need to market its phones through the carriers to be used on them. You can bring your own phone and just buy the service. The only downside is that you have to pay full price for the phone, not get it subsidized like all the restricted crap the wireless companies sell.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

Lets not forget there are supposed to be two different phones. A basic nano-like version and an advanced multifuntion device. This sounds like the latter. I think they are getting the specs and prices mixed up between the two.

Yeah! How come analysts can't keep all those rumors and made-up crap organized? The next thing you know they'll be saying the new tablet mac is going to have a docking port for the iWalk. I mean, come on guys!
  • Reply 19 of 58
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Why didn't she just go ahead a pull a rabbit out her ass while she was at it...

Analysts...
  • Reply 20 of 58
    What is this "full screen LCD; 3.5 inch (28x21)" mean? Does 28x21 correspond to number of characters? The phone industry stopped quoting number of lines (or characters) long ago. I assume full screen means the entire front area is LCD.