How Can I Edit a Purchased DVD Movie?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Aaaaaaand, looking at the AppleScript suite in DVD Player, there's no way that I see to simply say "Jump to this timecode" Bastiches.

QT Player does, however. Investigating how to get that to play DVDs instead of DVD Player.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by intlplby

even for private viewing you can't...

this disc mentioned (Talladega Nights) has copy protection, in order to edit the disc he has to bypass the copy protection and make an edited copy. that is illegal in the US.

it's not nonsense.

Crap, you're right. Sorry about going off the handle.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by intlplby

even for private viewing you can't...

this disc mentioned (Talladega Nights) has copy protection, in order to edit the disc he has to bypass the copy protection and make an edited copy. that is illegal in the US.

it's not nonsense.

I'd say that it's quite likely true that this is the law, but then I'd say also the law itself is the nonsense here. (It would be interesting to see how this would play out in court if ever some prosecutor somewhere becomes motivated enough, for whatever strange reason, to push for a trial on a case like this, something I think that's incredibly unlikely to happen.)
  • Reply 24 of 26
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

Aaaaaaand, looking at the AppleScript suite in DVD Player, there's no way that I see to simply say "Jump to this timecode" Bastiches.

I wonder if he set 2 bookmarks, one at the beginning, and another after the scene he wants to skip, and then coded "play named bookmark 1" and "play named bookmark 2"?

I think it probably does not stop at each bookmark though.

Quote:

QT Player does, however. Investigating how to get that to play DVDs instead of DVD Player.

He would have to rip the DVD to mp4 with Handbrake.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    the reason DVD player does not allow such things is because DVD players in the US have certain restrictions that don't allow you to jump certain parts.

i.e. the FBI piracy warning has a flag set on the DVD that disallows control of the fast forwarding or skip button, you must see that part before you are even allowed to view the rest of the dvd....

you also have region coding on dvds.... so, because of the format standards of dvds you aren't going to be able to choose jump to a timecode.... vlc on the other hand should do this if you set up a playlist and save it.

personally i would love to use dvd player if it wasn't for the limitations set by the MPAA that have become part of DVD player. i don't know if apple is legally required to follow such things, but they do.

there is also a program called DVDAssist which allows you to use VIDEO_TS folders with Front Row.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resohjb1/Projects.html

http://5thirtyone.com/archives/663
  • Reply 26 of 26
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Got it.

DVD Player includes the ability to set Film Clips. Look under the Controls menu. You can set each clip as a start and end time. So far so good. Set the clips for the portions of the movie you want to watch. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to automate this at the moment. (DVD Player .plist munging maybe?)

AppleScript can then run the video clips in order. Voila.

Edit: Yup, look in ~/Application Support/DVD Player/ and you'll see a bunch of hex string named plists. The hex string is the DVD ID. You *should* be able to create and share lists of clips that 'edit' DVDs without altering the original disc - it'll just skip over portions deemed unacceptable.

Of course, I honestly have to wonder why you'd do that instead of just avoiding that particular piece of work completely (it strikes me as painting a bikini on Boticelli's Venus because it shows bewbies), and it goes against my own beliefs pretty strongly, but there ya go. The ability is there, in DVD Player, already.