Disguising an iPod effectively within the Amish community?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Anyone discovered a way how Amish people can effectively disquise iPods so avoiding detection & subsequent banishment?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calicomoonchild

Anyone discovered a way how Amish people can effectively disquise iPods so avoiding detection & subsequent banishment?

Keep it under your hat.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Who would want to be in the Amish community? I wouldn't want to be part of a community where something as silly as an ipod can get me banished. That's senseless.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'd personally like to see the iPod-to-Buggy adapter

Lighten up ecking. In all my dealings with Amish people they seem decent people and don't generally bother anyone. Of course they probably have me pegged as going to hell but I can live with that...
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Who would want to be in the Amish community? I wouldn't want to be part of a community where something as silly as an ipod can get me banished. That's senseless.

walk a mile in their shoes?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    The Amish have a lot working for them; don't knock them too quickly just because they don't embrace something you do.

Banishment, banishment. Why do we always work in fear of rules? What if the rules, or ways, become part of our nature, and we no longer need the pleasures others indulge in?

We live in a world that is primarily waste and want oriented and that is entirely focused on the new. Take away want and you have contentment.

Can't wait for the 6Gs to be released next year!
  • Reply 6 of 20
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I have nothing against amish people, I've met some who have been nice, I'm just talking about some of the rules, that is what I find silly.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Don't start hatin' on the Amish now, mofos!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    all religions and faiths have silly rules

or should that be all successful religions and faiths...

i detest all organised religions to be honest.

but the amish simple aproach to life has plenty to merit it, grow as much of your food as you can... just THAT can teach you a lot... particularly patients
  • Reply 9 of 20
    1. I have a lot of respect for the Amish.

2. How would an Amish person ever know about the iPod?

3. How would an Amish person post on AI?

4. It would be a lot of work owning an iPod without electricity.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

but the amish simple aproach to life has plenty to merit it, grow as much of your food as you can... just THAT can teach you a lot... particularly patients

I disagree. The Amish faith is a cop-out. It's an operation of succumbing to weakness, and it's distinctly at odds with every possible argument I can think of pertaining to divine purpose.

If modernity makes it harder to glorify God, try harder.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Wow.

Have you met any Amish? Read about them?

Here is Wikipedia on them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Yikes - there's some real lack of tolerance here.

Being in England, most English look on the Amish fondly (a bit like protected species, unlike the crowds of ignorant techno-gizmo totting opinionated loudmouths on the forums).

Dum de dum...

The Amish have real music and instruments! Does anyone remember those? Guitars, violins, voices and drums?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Why is this even a thread?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

I disagree. The Amish faith is a cop-out. It's an operation of succumbing to weakness, and it's distinctly at odds with every possible argument I can think of pertaining to divine purpose.

Look, I don't know why anyone would hate them. They're just doing their peaceful thing and rejecting the world. It's not about weakness; even if it were, then it would be weakness to avoid sin. That's just crazy - temptation as a form of faith? If the goal of life is just to live a plain life and go to heaven when it happens, then this seems like the right answer. Why would you risk it? And what is the point of technology in that context?

Besides, maybe simplicity is a good thing. The Amish shun anything that is not a need, hence rural communities. However, many willingly use telephones in emergencies, as well as emergency medical equipment and rollerblades, since they are needs that don't necessarily change their simplicity. It's pretty fuzzy and varies. I'm sure it does get into odd dilemmas, but these people are happy and 80% stay in their communities, even when offered a life outside.

The avoidance of buttons is a little harder to understand.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Also, you can stuff the earbuds in your bonnet too. But even then the wires show.

Finally a good reason for Bluetooth headphones!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi

Why is this even a thread?

I think it has the potential to be a good discussion of tolerance, respect and acceptance, not to metion an inquiry into what is truly important in life.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister

I think it has the potential to be a good discussion of tolerance, respect and acceptance, not to metion an inquiry into what is truly important in life.

And a chance to finally expose the hidden Amish haters in our midst... and beat them with a flounder.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calicomoonchild

You don't. Accept their rules or stay out.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

1. in what sense is it a cop out... FROM WHAT?

2.how is it succuming to weakness? what weakness?

3.there IS NO divine purpose
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution

Keep it under your hat.

OK, that is really funny. Hope everyone got it.