Gizmodo claims the iPhone will be released "Monday"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Gizmodo post

What the heck are they smoking over there? Do they really mean THIS COMING Monday? If not, are they just asking for people to get angry?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Nah, they just thought they would inject their "Professional" opinion in, seeing as how Analysts are crawling out of the Woodworks to inject their own.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Seems like an odd joke to make, though.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    I just know I will be sad on Monday... AGAIN
  • Reply 4 of 20
    It would of made more sense if he said the iPhone would come out on " a Monday " which is what I think he was jokingly refering to.... I don't think he honestly meant it would be out this Monday.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woody56292

It would of made more sense if he said the iPhone would come out on " a Monday " which is what I think he was jokingly refering to.... I don't think he honestly meant it would be out this Monday.

It would make more sense if he just said what his real intentions are... to see how many hits he can get from Apple Fanboys sqealing OMFF!1!!!!!!111!!!! from a completely B.S. post.

Why, in god's name, would Apple (and Steve for that matter) release what promises to be as huge (IMO) as the original iPod on a Monday..... 1 week before Xmas.... after everyone has already spent hundreds of dollars on gifts?

b.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benjamin_r

Why, in god's name, would Apple (and Steve for that matter) release what promises to be as huge (IMO) as the original iPod on a Monday..... 1 week before Xmas.... after everyone has already spent hundreds of dollars on gifts?

b.

So we can spend hundreds more!

Well, if they have iPhone ready, they might as well put it out there. It might only be a week, but it's still a week of last-minute holiday shopping.

OR, if they even just announce it and don't actually ship until January, I bet that'd get people to return the other phones they bought (or at least hold out a little longer...
  • Reply 7 of 20
    If it's ready to announce Monday (which I really doubt) I'd place 2 orders, even if it ships in January, and even if it doesn't do everything it's rumored to do. I just plain need a replacement phone that doesn't suck at this point.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Bizarre.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755

Bizarre.

He's done it before. Last time, after a teaser post that stated that he would be releasing Apple news, the post turned out to be about the new Tivo upgrade.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This thread on Gizmodo has me puzzled, and the people who believe it have me more puzzled.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF

I just know I will be sad on Monday... AGAIN

I have, and will be using, all the resources at my disposal: medication, nutrients, fresh air, excercise, meditation, yoga, etc. to CLEAR MY MIND on anything about the iPhone. I just don't have any reading whatsoever on what it is and when it is coming out. It is like a dead spot in my brain.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

If it's ready to announce Monday (which I really doubt) I'd place 2 orders, even if it ships in January, and even if it doesn't do everything it's rumored to do. I just plain need a replacement phone that doesn't suck at this point.

Who's the lucky person to get the 2nd phone?? I'll be your best firiend, I promise....

I would look at SonyEricsson phones at this point. Said it before, I'll say it again. Their mid-range mobiles are very good with a nice user interface. Some walkman and non-walkman phones have good sound quality and MegaBass that beats some iPods themselves, in terms of sound quality. The MegaBass is great when going for a run or on public transport where you lose a ton of low-end parts of a tune. The MegaBass equalizer setting keeps the bass thumping even in such conditions... Though I fear for the wellness of my ears somewhat with that level of bass right in my ear... Anyway, to continue, some SE walkman and non-walkman phones support unprotected AAC in addition to MP3. Just the loading of music is a bit fiddly and very un-iTunes like. The iPod Phone may not do what you want, although it would be unlikely that it would suck. Be warned that Apple won't get it perfect, and it won't appeal to *everyone* with the first iPod Phones released.

Don't get swept up in the hype...!! This iPhone thing is killing my brain for some reason -- particularly the rumoured "iChat video" function. ... And virtual clickwheel... number pad? There is no number pad? Just the clickwheel? What metallic colours has Apple blessed us with??? Hmmmmm
  • Reply 13 of 20
    OK, f(*k the zen-clear-your-mind thing. I have decided that I will not like the iPhone, and find it too tentative and specific a design for too sliced-up a target market. A cynical bid by Apple to keep shareholders, analysts and the company itself chugging along. A cynical move for increased profit margins, and increased total profits and revenue, rather than overall boosting Apple iPod/ Mac/ iPhone marketshare. Nothing wrong with focusing on profits and revenues, but "ultra groundbreaking", "super sexy" and "BAM! Here it is...", I don't think it will be ras evolutionary and phenomenal as what we've seen with other Apple products and services.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Also the likely pricing of the iPod Phone/ iPhone indicates that it will pretty much obliterate any chance of it being significant in any way in countries other than USA, UK, WesternEurope, Japan, and Australia. Clearly another indication that Apple doesn't give a toss about developing countries and the new middle classes in those emerging markets. Fair enough, Apple can't take over the world all at once. Unless it had stuff buried underground like that movie.... Umm... oh yeah War of the Worlds remake... But if you think of *major* mobile phone markets, India and China come to mind as coming on strong. Apple's likely pricing indicates it will not be anywhere interested in these markets.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    They may be announcing Monday so that FCC searches don't spoil their thunder. If you want to launch a phone in the US market you have to submit it to the FCC which maintains a public and searchable database of phones.

Therefore announcing it now prevents the FCC from stealing the spotlight.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    EM that is spot on!

good insight!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    That's what an Electric Monk does.. it thinks for you. Just don't hook it up to your VCR or your DVR. That tends to have bad results.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

OK, f(*k the zen-clear-your-mind thing. I have decided that I will not like the iPhone, and find it too tentative and specific a design for too sliced-up a target market. A cynical bid by Apple to keep shareholders, analysts and the company itself chugging along. A cynical move for increased profit margins, and increased total profits and revenue, rather than overall boosting Apple iPod/ Mac/ iPhone marketshare. Nothing wrong with focusing on profits and revenues, but "ultra groundbreaking", "super sexy" and "BAM! Here it is...", I don't think it will be ras evolutionary and phenomenal as what we've seen with other Apple products and services.

Happy Hating
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Aw, c'mon, if Jobs announces the "WottaPhone" that could massage your feet and and take dictation, you'd be there with your weekly paycheck, sun.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    I'm putting 5 Euros on Boxing Day! Talk about buyers/givers remorse!