For the fun of it, enter your Mock-ups for an Apple HD TV here!!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The prize is this invisible cabbage. Which one? (you ask) This one! (I reply)

As many of you know, I and a handful of others here strongly feel Apple has a TV in the works. I think iTV will be a hit, even a few million would be ok sales, but the point is it will sell. If it doubles as a wireless router, it will sell even better. I think the eventual inevitable Apple TV will be HiDef, will have a small (or medium) sized hard drive inside, will have a slot-load DVD player (let's not get into what format disks please, Apple's riding that one out to see who wins before they release this device, it may even have a one-for-all optical drive), will come in a few sizes, will be black only, may or may not ship with the new Apple remote (TV Edition), but most importantly will have iTV built-in.

Now to the experts here, the photochoppers, the skilled genii. The gauntlet has been thrown down, and the faculty must answer! Make the sleekest, most desireable, black Apple TV your imagination can conceive, and you will win this invisible cabbage. 8)

/really though, do it if for no other reason than to inspire those Cupertino designers and engineers. If there ever was a potential consumer electronics product of Apple's to dream about, this would be it. I've said it all before, the all-in-one-box-one-remote-set-up, with Apple ease-of-use and Apple design. Get creating!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 153
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'll assume here that anyone who might be creating a mock-up will need a little time, so I'll bring to the top.
  • Reply 2 of 153
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Rolo?

Oh, Rolo?
  • Reply 3 of 153
    Weeeee... it has to have a razor-thin black bezel around the entire frame, which is completely transparent save for a ghost of a frosted Apple logo right smack in the bottom middle of the frame. There are no visible buttons, but when operational, the logo goes dark, instead of glowing, as to not distract the viewer from the video. The wall-mount is unique... Due to the ultra-thin flexible membrane used for the screen, the entire HDTV slides into the mount from the side, like an old fashioned large format camera negative, and the entire screen can be carried with one hand. All of the connections other than a single power cable to the set are ultra wideband wireless. That was fun... now, anyone with the time, try to render that.
  • Reply 4 of 153

JP.
  • Reply 5 of 153
    We all know what the Cinema Displays look like, using that minimalistic style Apple is famous for, create a TV version of it with subtle differences, like sleek outward facing speakers, and do it in black. Maybe show it from a side angle with the disk slot visible.

TV version of this:

Ports could be two scart, a HDMI, a USB, and optical audio in and out.
  • Reply 6 of 153
    But for real...

I did a crude mock up. Had I tried harder, it would be white/black glossy, because I think if Apple did a TV, it would not be pro-silver.
  • Reply 7 of 153
    Interesting..
  • Reply 8 of 153
    How 'bout my Apple HDTV, Ireland? Give it a render.
  • Reply 9 of 153
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Now to the experts here, the photochoppers, the skilled genii. The gauntlet has been thrown down, and the faculty must answer! Make the sleekest, most desireable, black Apple TV your imagination can conceive, and you will win this invisible cabbage.

Humm.... don't think so

I doubt Apple will ever make a TV.

I think they will make a larger Cinema Display monitor (40"+) that could be used as TV if you want.

Nothing besides that. Sorry.
  • Reply 10 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy

I doubt Apple will ever make a TV.

I think they will make a larger Cinema Display monitor (40"+) that could be used as TV if you want.

Nothing besides that. Sorry.

Don't be sorry, being wrong is bad enough. We forgive you!
  • Reply 11 of 153
    OK, let's see who will be wrong down the road.

Just give me a good reason or argument why Apple would make a TV.
  • Reply 12 of 153
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

.... We forgive you!

What do you mean by we? Have you actually looked at the market for flatpanel TV sets? It is very, very soft. You find flat panels everywhere. Drive by Rent-A-Center, Office Depot, Sears, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, and almost every other retailer. Prices have been dropping like a stone with no bottom in sight. Certainly Apple has a contribution to make to these devices. It can bring sanity to the complexity of their remote controls. However, there is no way that Apple can make a profit in this market. If Apple can't profit in the market, Apple won't enter the market.
  • Reply 13 of 153
    Hi Mr. Me,

Yes you are right. This is one reason.

Here a few more reasons why I think there is no interest of Apple in joining this market.

• We have many HDTV sets out there that are outstanding. Pioneer Elite 1080 is one. Just fantastic. It's a crowded market with great products and like you said prices are falling fast.

• Steve is not TV number one fan.

• Apple is focusing in what will drive Mac sales. Period. Ipod came to drive that, maybe the iPhone will do the same. The integration between software and hardware is what Apple wants to bring customers to switch to Macs.

Why would a television fall in this category? What benefit would an Apple TV bring to the table?

• Apple in the past did printers and digital cameras. They dropped their development when they saw the competitors were doing great products and the prices of these things were falling. I remember the LaserWriter was great product. But now with so many cheap and great printer choices out there. Would that be really profitable to still in that market? Talk about digital cameras!

• Apple needs to focus on Computers. I am not crazy of the idea of venturing too far on consumer electronics. Let's please keep the focus on hardware and software for the Macintosh.

Like I said earlier, I believe a larger Cinema display will eventually show up. Apple could bring a TV capability to the same to drive more sales. But I have hard time imagining Apple making a HDTV set just for the sake of watching TV.

Cheers!
  • Reply 14 of 153
    Quote:

Just give me a good reason or argument why Apple would make a TV.

I'll give you more than one reason. Here's a quote from me, from another thread:

Quote:

(i) They've got all the reasons in the world, and I suspect Apple wouldn't be stupid enough to avoid receiving more money.

(ii) They must address this market at some stage

(iii) Apple's beginning to sell movies.

(iv) Apple loves all in one.

(v) Apple knows how to make existing producs better.

(vi) Apples is currently in the process of entering several markets they have never been in.

(vii) One remote = The holy grail. Steve Jobs knows this, but consumers think there's no solution, so they live with all the bullshit clutter that's not wanted or needed.

(viii) Apple wants us to connect our TV's to our computer, with a product they're making. This is the next logical step. Avoid the connecting process, so it just works/connects out of the box.

(ix) Simplification = ease of use

(x) Cool styling as a bonus

(xi) They're good at making hardware

(xii) They could reinvent the TV if they put thier mind to it.

(xiii) Apple is very good at business, and this makes good business sense.

(xiv) One remote, one piece of hardware that does it all well, what more could anyone want.

(xv) No more old or non techie people will need any help setting up their entertainment system as you just plug the Apple TV in the wall and away you go. People like that independence, it gives them a sense of satisfaction, confidence, achievement, and makes them happier.

(xvi) People will say, I can't believe no one thought of this sooner.

(xvii) I'd buy one, and so would many others.

Plus, iTV will be built-in to their TV, and eventually you'll get iPTV out of the box.
  • Reply 15 of 153
    Quote:

Like I said earlier, I believe a larger Cinema display will eventually show up....

Yes, and Apple will still charge twice what it costs from other vendors...
  • Reply 16 of 153
    Quote:

I'll give you more than one reason. Here's a quote from me, from another thread:

Plus, iTV will be built-in to their TV, and eventually you'll get iPTV out of the box.

Humm... OK if you want to believe that, that's fine.

I don't see a huge compeling reason at all in your list.

but hey,

Have fun with your mock-ups.
  • Reply 17 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Yes, and Apple will still charge twice what it costs from other vendors...

Yeah, probably. But I'll try my best to get one!
  • Reply 18 of 153
    Quote:

Humm... OK if you want to believe that, that's fine.

I don't see a huge compeling reason at all in your list.

So I guess it means you wont buy one, but many others will.
  • Reply 19 of 153
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

So I guess it means you wont buy one, but many others will.

... or not.
  • Reply 20 of 153
    to be honest i dont see the point of this... sorry mate but i dont.

IF they make a TV it will have a screen,

it will be userfriendly but likely have an ADVANCED setting for adding a computer input, or accessing extra features like freeview recording (do you get freeview down there? im too lazy to search) -- actually thats a whole other topic... oh well why not, but ill do it at the end

it will look stylish.

the last point is where i see that they WONT do it.

everyone can justify upgrading a monitor every few years for reasons of a bigger screen, a fading back light etc. but who wants to justify another 1000 plus notes ?? every so often.. assuming you can get the screen size you want and your backlight has a VERY long life.. it WONT be fashionable for long... look at the fequancy of updates in the ipod range as example.

i realise aTV is not an ipod, but i feel that what im saying has merit.

ok so you get an Apple TV and access to "advanced features" and so can add features in the form of OS updates, that would be interesting and keep a loyal user base happy PLUS give Apple some more headline grabbing news.

but then thats basically what the xbox ps3 and to a lesser extent the Wii are doing... and THEY will have a limited shelf life.

ok i know in Ireland one tends to hold on to a TV till the cows have came home been milked slaughtered and the farm down sized and maybe im just not in step... but i think at least SOME of that, is why theres no TV.. and their wont be for a long time YET.

---

ARGH my eyes are going and i cant see right.. ok Freeview, has RTE bought up bandwidth or not? ive heard different things frm different scources, the TV3 reception here is "snowy" to say the least and TG4 is pointless so it would be REALLY cool to be able to go digital with them any news greatfully accepted!