Apple to answer the Street's iPhone call on time

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Contrary to sentiments recently expressed by some analysts, Apple Computer's much-rumored iPhone device is very real and will not fall victim to further delay.

People familiar with the matter tell AppleInsider the first of the iPod maker's music-enabled cell phones will begin shipping on time next quarter, regardless of when the company plans to first unveil the device to the media.

Those same people say that, thus far, delays have stemmed from the Cupertino-based company's self-imposed challenge of perfecting a scaled down variant of the Mac OS operating system that will run on the embedded device.

While AppleInsider awaits confirmation of a specific launch date, recent rumblings coupled with a lack of other significant Apple product developments suggest that industry watchers may be in store for an iPhone-tinged Macworld Expo early next month.

An introduction during the conference or shortly thereafter would allow chief executive Steve Jobs to preempt the garden variety of necessary public disclosures -- such as FCC filings -- that would be required of the device and threaten to spoil some of its pizzazz.

Based on a flurry of analyst checks, it appears that initial iPhone offerings will arrive in two standard configurations -- a 4-gig and 8-gig -- leveraging severely discounted flash memory allotments secured by Apple in recent years.

Rebecca Runkle, an analyst for Morgan Stanley who retains reputable industry contacts, recently corroborated evidence of a dual-model strategy through her own proprietary checks. She told clients in a research note this week the phones will sport a metal-clad enclosure and feature a virtual click wheel touch interface when they arrive during the first half of next year.

Runkle added that the body of the phones will be about one-fourth of an inch thick, a bit wider than an iPod nano, but also thinner than a video iPod. She said the devices will pack a "full screen LCD; 3.5 inch (28x21)" display.

Potentially bolstering the analyst's claims is a report on Broadcom released thursday by BMO Capital. In it, analysts for the firm said they believe the broadband chipmaker has recently secured a noteworthy design win for an "upcoming stealth phone," about to be "offered by a major consumer device company."

The firm's checks suggest the specific design win was for an SoC that will enable an onscreen touchpad feature for a new type of user interface for the phone. It added that the interface is likely to show up in next-generation media players as well.

In recent weeks, speculation regarding Apple's iPhone has reached absurd levels, making it nearly impossible for the company's shareholders to decipher fact from rumor from fiction. In one rampant rambling last week, an analyst for CIBC speculated that the device could see delays into the second quarter of 2007. The scare shook some investors, sending shares of the iPod maker on a multi-day skid.

That report, sources say, does not hold water.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    Holy Squiggy!

Need more info about that Broadcom "leak".
  • Reply 2 of 72
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Whoever bases their investment decisions on day to day rumours is stupid beyond belief.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    In recent weeks, speculation regarding Apple's iPhone has reached absurd levels, making it nearly impossible for the company's shareholders to decipher fact from rumor from fiction. In one rampant rambling last week, an analyst for CIBC speculated that the device could see delays into the second quarter of 2007. The scare shook some investors, sending shares of the iPod maker on a multi-day skid.

That report, sources say, does not hold water.

----

Maybe this report came from Redmond?
  • Reply 4 of 72
    iTMS sales plummeting!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 72
    No, wait... iTV and iPhone sales are plummeting!
  • Reply 6 of 72
    Crap! I was almost rejoicing the fact that we got through an entire day without an iPhone rumor being posted.

Appleiinsider, how much would readers have to contribute monetarily to be given a day's break from the deluge of iPhone rumors? I'm sure if it were a reasonable amount, there would be enough donations to reach the designated amount.

At this point, if it doesn't come from an official Apple source (and preferably directly from Steve Jobs), I don't want to hear about it when it comes to the iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Those same people say that, thus far, delays have stemmed from the Cupertino-based company's self-imposed challenge of perfecting a scaled down variant of the Mac OS operating system that will run on the embedded device.

I had not heard that mentioned before, a small variant of Mac OS X. Maybe this will appear in the iPod too?

• Reply 8 of 72
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius

Crap! I was almost rejoicing the fact that we got through an entire day without an iPhone rumor being posted.

Appleiinsider, how much would readers have to contribute monetarily to be given a day's break from the deluge of iPhone rumors? I'm sure if it were a reasonable amount, there would be enough donations to reach the designated amount.

At this point, if it doesn't come from an official Apple source (and preferably directly from Steve Jobs), I don't want to hear about it when it comes to the iPhone.

FWIW: This is just our second or third proprietary piece on the subject. But yes, we do cover the vast majority of external reports (that seem plausible). Sorry if you feel inundated by the reports -- we do too -- but iPhone is one of two big things for Apple right now. There's no avoiding, brotha.

Best,

K
  • Reply 9 of 72
    The description of the phone jibes pretty closely with the patent applications. It wouldn't take much "insideness" to come up with this report. I could have done it, a few weeks ago.

I like the idea of a touch screen interface that changes use based on what yo want to access. My only worry is over the frailty of such a screen. Remember how early adopters of the Nano freaked out when their sleek finish scratched so easily. Thus spawning a Nano skin, Nano case, Nano whatever industry. I wonder if such firms are already ramped up for the iPhone?

So will we need to wear ear buds to use the phone? In ear microphones? Wouldn't it be great if someone could use the phone and the rest of us didn't have to hear them from a hundred feet away?
  • Reply 10 of 72
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57

Whoever bases their investment decisions on day to day rumours is stupid beyond belief.

You just described the stock market.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy

I had not heard that mentioned before, a small variant of Mac OS X. Maybe this will appear in the iPod too?

The OS X note caught my attention as well. I've always thought OS X could scale down very well to portable devices. Obviously not everything, but imagine the implications of a smartphone that runs OS X? Applications up the wazoo, probably needing some rewriting but not like that for a new OS. Hopefully this part of the story holds true.
  • Reply 12 of 72
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I still think my iPhone mockup has some validity, especially in light of what we've been hearing lately. The screen could be OLED or some variant and be quite durable (no glass). I've even heard of plastic LED panels that don't use motherglass. The screen's surface could have a scratchproof nano coating.

2.2" W x 3.5" H x .4" D. 3.5" 16x9 widescreen touchscreen. 2MP iSight.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo

I still think my iPhone mockup has some validity, especially in light of what we've been hearing lately. The screen could be OLED or some variant and be quite durable (no glass). I've even heard of plastic LED panels that don't use motherglass. The screen's surface could have a scratchproof nano coating.

2.2" W x 3.5" H x .4" D. 3.5" 16x9 widescreen touchscreen. 2MP iSight.

Perhaps, but im thinking camera embedded in the screen. dont know why, just a hunch.

no wait. i LOVE staring at peoples foreheads. nvm.
  • Reply 14 of 72
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    just so the stupid thing has some serious battery life. if it doesn't just drop the POS in the garbage because i'm sick of high end (very costly) devices that can't run all day and tomorrow too. Heck, it should run for a friggin week.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius

If you don't want to hear anymore then why even read the article, much less read through the comments and then add one? I'm not trying to be a smartass but it's really easy not to read these articles.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcdstudios

Perhaps, but im thinking camera embedded in the screen. dont know why, just a hunch.

Well, Apple does have that patent application for an embedded sensor array in a display. It'd still need an iSight lens in the back.

As for an embedded OS X, not exactly. Superficially, yes, but I doubt if it'd have the Darwin base. This thing could use a small Intel processor made for the embedded market.

It's easy to go nuts thinking about all the possibilities. Let's hope we hear the definitive word at MWSF.
  • Reply 17 of 72
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcdstudios

With the camera where it's at, you can take some great shots of the inside of your ear
  • Reply 18 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

just so the stupid thing has some serious battery life. if it doesn't just drop the POS in the garbage because i'm sick of high end (very costly) devices that can't run all day and tomorrow too. Heck, it should run for a friggin week.

That Diggnation dude said it'd have 2 batteries. One would be for the iPod function and one for the phone. Play the iPod all day and run down its battery and your cell part would still work just fine. Very cool, if true.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    Analysts are concerned that Apple has only pre-sold 1 million iPhones to imagined customers this quarter. Year to year fictional sales are down 3%, and analyst are concerned how this will affect other, yet to be rumored products.

As a result, Apple's share price will rise, but analysts will be very unhappy about it at some point in the future.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

...Runkle added that the body of the phones will be about one-fourth of an inch thick, a bit wider than an iPod nano, but also thinner than a video iPod.

double check that: other sites have quoted her saying it will be 0.4" thick--closer to half an inch, and ot "about one-fourth of an inch" thick. which is it?