Apple to answer the Street's iPhone call on time

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham

double check that: other sites have quoted her saying it will be 0.4" thick--closer to half an inch, and ot "about one-fourth of an inch" thick. which is it?

I think the people who don't know how to read decimal measurements think .4 = 1/4" thick.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bignumbers

The OS X note caught my attention as well. I've always thought OS X could scale down very well to portable devices. Obviously not everything, but imagine the implications of a smartphone that runs OS X? Applications up the wazoo, probably needing some rewriting but not like that for a new OS. Hopefully this part of the story holds true.

It's interesting... a year ago I would have said you were on crack. The "kernel_task" alone in MacOS X takes 141MB of real memory and 1.31GB of virtual on my G5. But in days of relatively fast and cheap 4GB of flash, maybe you COULD run the MacOS X operating system directly off of flash memory.

I still think Apple would be better served by going with one of the established OSes, though. They could probably even do wonders with embedded Windows as a baseline OS, and Apple UI and services piled on top.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Very nice mock-up Rolo - I wouldn't be surprised if you are very close.

I've always liked the idea of a stripped down OS X in the iPhone. It provides for some very nice integration with the Mac, especially the iLife/iCal/Address Book areas; and opens the door for some 3rd party developers to develop "mini-apps" that tie in with their current Mac apps. I'm not talking PhotoShop here, but the large number of small apps available in the freeware/shareware area.

If, and it's a bit "if" you will be able to access the internet via AirPort then the OS X Lite + Safari Lite would be a marker killer for many prople.

One interesting factor with the OS X Lite is that you will probably need some type of upgrade to Tiger, or go with Leopard. I would bet that the maximum benefits will be with Leopard, generating some nice upgrade revenues for Apple when it is released.

There is also the issue of our good friends - the Windows users. There would probably be a need for a few stripped apps for them, covering the areas like iCal, Address Book, a photo album, etc. Again, stripped versions might work and, as a bonus, might increase the halo effect for Macs.

All in all the potential of the iPhone is exciting. Let's hope that Apple can deliver an iPhone as exciting as our wishes.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UrbanVoyeur

Analysts are concerned that Apple has only pre-sold 1 million iPhones to imagined customers this quarter. Year to year fictional sales are down 3%, and analyst are concerned how this will affect other, yet to be rumored products.

As a result, Apple's share price will rise, but analysts will be very unhappy about it at some point in the future.

LOL

With all these rumors and fictional pictures I have been ready to buy the new iPhone since last month.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    ...with fictional money, naturally.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga

I still think Apple would be better served by going with one of the established OSes, though. They could probably even do wonders with embedded Windows as a baseline OS, and Apple UI and services piled on top.

I doubt the kernel is where Apple is having challenges. Using Windows would be a huge political statement about OSX... quite a step to make.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo

I still think my iPhone mockup has some validity, especially in light of what we've been hearing lately. The screen could be OLED or some variant and be quite durable (no glass). I've even heard of plastic LED panels that don't use motherglass. The screen's surface could have a scratchproof nano coating.

2.2" W x 3.5" H x .4" D. 3.5" 16x9 widescreen touchscreen. 2MP iSight.

ROLO, That is a mockup par excellence. Bravo mate.

Here is the latest LG phone with widescreen and touchscreen only. Pre-empted the iPhone, but a good indication of what is possible. And if it is indeed a special version of Mac OSX on iPhone, rock on. iPhone + iPod + iTunes + Newton(!!gen2??!!) woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. AAPL is fracking volatile at the moment though. Bloody cell phone market. I hate consumer electronics and its dirty fingerprints all over sweet Apple stuff... Nonetheless, rock on, rock on iPhone. Bloody thread overload until Macworld SF2007. Maybe it's time to start the countdown!!!!

LG PHONE:

• Reply 28 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius

Crap! I was almost rejoicing the fact that we got through an entire day without an iPhone rumor being posted.

Appleiinsider, how much would readers have to contribute monetarily to be given a day's break from the deluge of iPhone rumors? I'm sure if it were a reasonable amount, there would be enough donations to reach the designated amount.

At this point, if it doesn't come from an official Apple source (and preferably directly from Steve Jobs), I don't want to hear about it when it comes to the iPhone.

I've heard so much about the iPhone this mast month that I'm starting to hate it.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga

It's interesting... a year ago I would have said you were on crack. The "kernel_task" alone in MacOS X takes 141MB of real memory and 1.31GB of virtual on my G5. But in days of relatively fast and cheap 4GB of flash, maybe you COULD run the MacOS X operating system directly off of flash memory.

We've all seen the numerous mock ups of the phone casing and heard several accounts of what programs it will run, but we've heard nothing about the OS capabilities. I'm looking forward to seeing the OS dissected and splayed out piece by piece.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

ROLO, That is a mockup par excellence. Bravo mate.

Here is the latest LG phone with widescreen and touchscreen only. Pre-empted the iPhone, but a good indication of what is possible. And if it is indeed a special version of Mac OSX on iPhone, rock on. iPhone + iPod + iTunes + Newton(!!gen2??!!) woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. AAPL is fracking volatile at the moment though. Bloody cell phone market. I hate consumer electronics and its dirty fingerprints all over sweet Apple stuff... Nonetheless, rock on, rock on iPhone. Bloody thread overload until Macworld SF2007. Maybe it's time to start the countdown!!!!

LG PHONE:

Wow! that phone is so beautiful! What is it called? Where can i see it? is it released yet?
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Here's the links where I found those LG touchscreen phone pics:

http://www.lowyat.net/v2/

http://www.mobilport.hu/?r=8266
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Here's the links where I found those LG touchscreen phone pics:

http://www.lowyat.net/v2/

http://www.mobilport.hu/?r=8266

looks like its only just been announced, if this phone has wifi as well as gsm (which i highly doubt) it could be my ultimate phone! this is just what i want!

i hope the iphone is set apart from all other phones in some great way in order that it is a thoughtless decision to choose iphone over all others! go on apple, i hav faith in u!
  • Reply 33 of 72
    //the body of the phones will be about one-fourth of an inch thick//

no, i just cant work that one out... i cant visualise it AT ALL

now if they'd have said a QUARTER inch like EVERYONE else does.....

agree with the 0.4 inch comments though
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Here's an idea. AniPhone with widgets?!

There are any number of useful widget apps out there that a mobile user would love to access. Flight details, train times, currency convertors, games etc. They could even use the same switch view that Tiger does when you switch to widgets.

My ideal iPhone though would be one that worked seamlessly with my iPod. I can see why someone might want to listen to music when not on the phone, but I have 40GB 4Gen iPod. I want to listen to this and then have the phone pause playback when I receive or make a call.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Nice to see you back Rolo!

I still think that your TV info will play out in the coming year and that everyone will owe you an apology.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander

I doubt the kernel is where Apple is having challenges. Using Windows would be a huge political statement about OSX... quite a step to make.

Even if it were a better technological decision to run embedded Windows (debatable, but it isn't, think Linux instead), this ain't gonna happen Booga (for the reasons alluded to by Greg).

Also, if the embedded version of OS X becomes the next OS for the iPods, how would this affect Windows users (the majority of iPod owners)? I supose this wouldn't matter since the device would probably still work fine through iTunes on Windows, but....
  • Reply 37 of 72
    I'd like to see a design that would use a bluetooth ear piece for phone operations as the only way to talk and listen. There would not be a microphone or earpiece built into the body of the iphone. If you wanted to listen to music (ipod) then another set of bluetooth stereo earbuds or plugs would be used. A regular TRS mini plug jack would also be in the body of the phone to plug in wired earbuds. You would never have to hold the phone body up to your greasy ear to use it.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    I've got a PPC 6700 at the moment. I'm not really thrilled with it, though I do like it better than my old Treo 650. I've been wanting to replace the 6700 for a few months now. I'll be out of contract in about 2 weeks. I was just going to unload it on ebay and pick up a Razr. I may hold off untill more information is available about this phone.

Aaron
  • Reply 39 of 72
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    If indeed there is a Mac OS X lite in it, then the iPhone's introduction at MacWorld makes mega-sense. And the top secret features of Leopard would of course include some stuff for the iPhone.

If we truly believe that Apple has incredible vision and forethought, then we'd see the very development of OS X's WebKit and widgets as really planning for the iPhone and other mobile devices. Remember that WebKit was adopted by Nokia for some of its phones - but haven't heard much since then.

Someday, Jobs or someone will have to write a book about the Apple 1998-2008, and let us know what really happened inside Infinite Loop. It would be fascinating reading.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    Quote:

Remember that WebKit was adopted by Nokia for some of its phones - but haven't heard much since then.

You can hear it from me, then. Nokia uses WebKit in its Nseries phones. I have an N80, and the browser renders sites beautifully, just like Safari. That's all there is to that.