• Reply 23 of 39
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wojciechowski

Still Better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jULUGHJCCj4

I vote for:

I like.

But at over a minute its not going to show on TV without some editing.

I don't mind the Mac Vs. PC adds too much, I just wish they had a little less smarm and a little more info. I actually had my sister-in-law say--"Macs look cool, but I need a computer with a spreadsheet."
  • Reply 24 of 39
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Still Better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jULUGHJCCj4

Allright, this one is way cooler. I love to see the Mac associated with those misfits and troublemakers. Dare I even say goosebumps?

But the thread-starter would have much more effect on the cash registers, I think.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Personally my vote still goes to the dancing G4 iMac.

Sebastian
  • Reply 26 of 39
    http://mactv.uneasysilence.com/?tag=hd

Higher res versions are here, and you can download them too.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I didn't like the dancing Macs much either. I dunno, it just looked tacky. I think the best ads are the ones that have a cool slogan. This is one of my favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdTMVxn3cMQ

I mean c'mon, "put some music on", that's brilliant. I think they should make an ad comparing Vista with OS X and give the timeline of each development and end with "Think Ahead".
  • Reply 28 of 39
    I say they just sellout and get a real celebrity.

"Introducing, the Lebron Book Pro..."
  • Reply 29 of 39
    meheh
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey

Allright, this one is way cooler. I love to see the Mac associated with those misfits and troublemakers. Dare I even say goosebumps?...

Yes. Only thing is, that campaign was big around 2000 - 6 years ago 8) Back when Apple's *only* chance of survival was to depend on misfits and troublemakers. Before the iPod. Before Intel. Hell, before the PowerPC G5....!!
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ichiban_jay

http://mactv.uneasysilence.com/?tag=hd

Higher res versions are here, and you can download them too.

You are the MAN. Thanks mate.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

You are the MAN. Thanks mate.

An Apple ad worth keeping on my hard disk for a while. Instead of that PC vs Mac stuff.

The iPod nano "glowstick trails" ad is cool though, I'm gonna try download that to keep. It's naaiiicee. Glad they've moved on from the dancing silhouettes, they were cool but time to move on... That's creative trends for ya.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

Yes. Only thing is, that campaign was big around 2000 - 6 years ago 8) Back when Apple's *only* chance of survival was to depend on misfits and troublemakers. Before the iPod. Before Intel. Hell, before the PowerPC G5....!!

Actually that ad was made in 1997 or 1998 right around when Jobs returned to Apple... That ad is much more significant to the development of the modern day Apple and symbolic of the direction the company was about to take. So i would still say that ad is better than an orgy of computer generated Apple Products set to some trendy music.

The ad is good, but 5 years from now it will appear outdated due to the products being the main focus... Just like the CRT colored iMacs looks really old today.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

He's directing Transformers: Movie 2007... *sigh*

After Pearl Harbor and The Island I swore I would never see a film of his again.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave

After Pearl Harbor and The Island I swore I would never see a film of his again.

But you know you're going to. It's transformers, dang it! You won't be able to stop yourself from hoping against hope that it won't suck.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

Actually that ad was made in 1997 or 1998 right around when Jobs returned to Apple... That ad is much more significant to the development of the modern day Apple and symbolic of the direction the company was about to take. So i would still say that ad is better than an orgy of computer generated Apple Products set to some trendy music.

The ad is good, but 5 years from now it will appear outdated due to the products being the main focus... Just like the CRT colored iMacs looks really old today.

(Just writing down some thoughts, not really agreeing or necessarily disagreeing with you). Actually, some rambling, but anyways:

The Think Different campaign I agree (and thanks for noting the right timelines, I wasn't sure myself) -- it is significant to the period in which Apple started to fight back. Amidst a demoralised company that was struggling, as the late-90s Tech boom threatened to swallow them whole and wipe them clean off the map. Never mind their share price which climbed to staggering levels, Jobs knew alongside the hype he better have something *real* if/when the market crashed.

Visually and "directorially" though, unless one is pretty informed, the whole Think Different ads, for anyone under 35 viewing it, particularly new PC to Mac converts, will be like, WTF? Think WHAT different? The "alternative" (Pearl Jam, Bush as examples of "Alternative Rock") scene of the mid 90s had by the turn of the century been well co-opted into the mainstream advertising and marketing ecosystem. In fact, post-Think Different, once "different" was cool, that's when the iPods slowly rose to fame, dragging with it in 2003-2005 the Macs (the Macs actually slowly thriving in 2003-2005 after Steve Jobs tore Moto/Freescale and IBM new a**holes for their bullsh1t CPUs).

Now pop is cool and different is lame. I had an argument somewhere in here but my train of thought collided with a semi-trailer parked across the tracks so I've umm.... Well, I said what I said.

5 years from now I think the Christmas "orgy of products" will be like, okay, whereas now and let alone 5 years from now the Think Different stuff will be considered very haughty.

Ok they cleared the wreckage and my train of thought is starting up again.

An interesting point I am trying to note is that think of computing in 1998. Think of the people that used and worked with computers on a daily basis. Now think of the subset of that who might use Macs. We're talking about a sliver of users amongst well-educated, generallly well-to-do people. Let's name this Subset#1.

Now think of computing in 2006. Where every man and his dog can jump into an Internet cafe 'round the block and be on the Intarweb in seconds. Now think of the subset of these that might use Macs. Let's name this Subset#2.

Think Different was meant to appeal to Subset#1, and it made sense -- to really stretch to those that were the "brilliant rebels" - Einstein, Gandhi, Buck F, etc.

If you look at appealing to Subset#2 though, "historic brilliant rebels" are a bit too far a stretch to appeal to these people. Basically, Apple has gone more mass-market, and succeeded in doing so.

Then the question we ask is, as a population, have we become dumber? Have we that Thought Different (for example people that actually know what a Buckyball is) flourished? Or have we just been ground up in the corporate gears as we survived with a family, job, mortgage, etc. Who are today's "brilliant rebels"? A lot of people under 20 might say 50cent or Pink or one of those American Idols.

Or maybe I'm just commenting on my own fall from grace, from my post-English-colonial upbringing with my high school material mainly based on Oxford and Cambridge syllabi, to doing uni/college in Australia and working in a small-medium enterprise in the USA and Australia, discovering alcohol and drugs along the way.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

But you know you're going to. It's transformers, dang it! You won't be able to stop yourself from hoping against hope that it won't suck.

Heh. They'd better get Optimus Prime, Hot Rod, Megatron, StarScream down right. SoundWave is still my favourite Transformer. He had a bird-bot and a cougar-bot or something that transformed out of the "tapes" right? Wikipedia check: Laserbeak, along with Ravage, Rumble, Frenzy, Buzzsaw, and Ratbat could dock with SoundWave.

SoundWave was a BoomBox. Sadly referred to in a very pedestrian fashion as "Tape Cassette Player" in Wikipedia.

But a BoomBox nonetheless, I say. How fracking cool is that. I want JamesEarlJones to voice it. Good working material to then apply some cool voice-filter-thingymajiggers.

Maybe instead of cassette tapes iPod-transformer units would "dock" into SoundWave...!! SoundWave is like an iPodBoomBox. Brilliant. I'll set up a conference call with Michael Bay, Steve Jobs and myself right now. Frack the additional $60million in effects budget to redo SoundWave scenes. Steve Jobs should throw in that cash, with him and Jon Ives and maybe Phil S. chipping in on what animal the iPod unit would transform into once it was "launched" out of SoundWave. Wait. I got it. A LEOPARD bot. Get it? Leopard 10.5??? Woooooooooooo

I am a Lost Genius of untold confusion and staggering misdirected shimmering brilliance.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Oh, ShockWave is cool too. AH, what the hell, $10-15 for just sitting back and watching the 1.5-2hour computer-effectsfest, I'd probably not really have something way way better to do at the time.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

(Just writing down some thoughts, not really agreeing or necessarily disagreeing with you). Actually, some rambling, but anyways:...

Oh I agree with most of what you said. The Think Different campaign worked much better at keeping the mac faithful (creative professionals) from giving up on the company when they were reaching one of their all time lows... While the new ads are marketed towards the masses and people who seek to have what is the coolest product is and are more interested in Browsing the Net and Chatting.

BTW, in my forgetfulness I completely forgot what the Real Best Apple Ad Ever is...

http://www.uriahcarpenter.info/1984.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_(t...ion_commercial)