Apple Hypes MWSF 2002

Comments

• Reply 561 of 1761
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    OK, moki, you got me convinced. OSX without the main Apps is nothing, and indeed I hadn't thought about the endian issue this way.

Yet Apple has deliberately used the word "PC". Thus implying that this is going to be quite a revolution, whilst at the same time making a reference to Star Trek. Voice recognition? Tablet PC?

[...]

I think I got it. Which chip was it that's codename was V'Ger? V'Ger because of a Star Trek episode where Voyager went so fast it got lost somewhere, and when they found it back, on the letters V, G, E, R were left on it. I seem to recall there was a chip (G4? G4+? G5?) which had this codename because it was much, much faster...

We need rest
  • Reply 562 of 1761
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>Fourth: "Backstage pass to the future."

Maybe it will be announced but not quite ready yet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think tonton hits the nail right on the head. Apple's clues mean that they will announce something pretty amazing, but that it won't ship anytime soon.

So the LCD iMac, GHz PowerMac, iPhoto and maybe a feature-bumped iBook is all we're likely to be able to get our hands on come next week. As for the "big" thing, our wallets will have to wait to be depleted.

Escher
  • Reply 563 of 1761
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    Maybe they're right... IDG MWSF never move the date of the keynote over 18 years and Apple never create this kind of hype since a loooooong time... 1984 Macintosh ? (18 years also)...

Maybe they will change the way they introduce products... Maybe they will announce all the roadmap for 2002.

MWSF 02

iMac G5

PowerMac G5

One more Thing?

MWTK 02

iBook Sahara

PowerBook Apollo

MWNY 02

Mac OS 10.2 - The *Must-Have Remix*

MW PARIS / LONDON 02

Update of iMac G4 & PowerMac G5

Update of One more Thing?

Crazy, no ?
  • Reply 563 of 1761
    [quote]Originally posted by moki:

<strong>There is a difference between what Apple watchers will expect or find significant, and what is significant to the public at large, and Apple itself.

The iMac was initially met with derrision, and much of it from Apple fans who were expecting much more. However, it went on to make serious waves in the industry, and arguable was single-handedly responsible for Apple's turn-around.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It is often helpful to learn from past events and history. moki's analysis is excellent: What is significant to the public at large and therefore Apple, may not immediately seem relevant to us, the Mac faithful. What matters to Apple's bottom line is the relevance of new products to the mass consumer market, especially if it wants to increase market share.

Escher
  • Reply 565 of 1761
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I keep saying this, but aparently people just won't listen. If you know a little about what it takes to port software to x86, how Apple makes its money etc etc, Mac OS X on Wintel is the most unlikely and impossible option of them all. Even the satellite link broadband makes more sense.

But then again it's probably a teenagers dream to be able to buy a "fancy peecee", keep up with the Wintel friends in terms of bragging, while sticking with OS X...forget it.

G-news
  • Reply 566 of 1761
    [quote]Originally posted by moki:

<strong>

If Apple ever does move to a new processor architecture (which I don't think is necessary, btw), there will have to be lead time between the announcement and the reality,</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's why the announcement would be "like a bakstage pass to the future," i.e. to warn developers and consumers about a future change. I still don't believe that Apple will develop OS X for x86.

Escher
  • Reply 567 of 1761
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    Remember the Megahertz Myth!

Raw processor speed means nothing to Apple. They are always quoting GFlops and other "processor effectiveness" benchmarks. "Going where no PC has gone before" may simply relate to the highest processor benchmark scores ever seen in a desktop PC: i.e. the 64-bit G5 processor. They may not ship until March, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that he'll demo one on Monday.
  • Reply 568 of 1761
    I am extremely entertained by all the speculation that's going on here, but I have a quick question: has apple ever made 'coded' references to future products in their hype before? Does anyone have examples? I mean, to the average mac user, those statements on apple's site are just classic hype ad-speak... do they have a history of hiding references? I mean, "to go where..." sound a lot like star trek, but that's such a cliche right now that I find it hard to imagine that Steve is grinning wickedly, wondering if anyone will decipher that it secretly means (satellite / x86-compatible)...

rr.
  • Reply 569 of 1761
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Why would Apple announce G5s if they aren't shipping until March? That means that no Power Macs will be shipped/sold for two months! What would people do if they needed to buy a Power Mac? They wouldn't be able to get one.
  • Reply 570 of 1761
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by TJM:

<strong>"Going where no PC has gone before" may simply relate to the highest processor benchmark scores ever seen in a desktop PC: i.e. the 64-bit G5 processor. They may not ship until March, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that he'll demo one on Monday.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Too bad Apple goes outta business due to $0 cashflow for a whole quarter... Nobody could or would want to go 3 months with ZERO hardware sales...

Dave
  • Reply 571 of 1761
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by ricRocket:

<strong>I am extremely entertained by all the speculation that's going on here, but I have a quick question: has apple ever made 'coded' references to future products in their hype before? Does anyone have examples? I mean, to the average mac user, those statements on apple's site are just classic hype ad-speak... do they have a history of hiding references? I mean, "to go where..." sound a lot like star trek, but that's such a cliche right now that I find it hard to imagine that Steve is grinning wickedly, wondering if anyone will decipher that it secretly means (satellite / x86-compatible)...

rr.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes they have made coded references before twice... once for the Apple online store intro and once for Pro Go Woha (somethink like that) for the G3, new powerbook and iMacs.

Dave
  • Reply 571 of 1761
    Regarding the use of "PC",

I think, for Apple, the term "PC" is one that strictly means "personal computer". At the bottom of all their press releases, Apple always has something like, "Apple ignited the PC revolution in the 1970s with the blah blah blah." I don't think that Apple thinks, in this instance at least, that PC=Wintel. After all, "PowerPC" doesn't have much to do with the Wintel side of things, does it?
  • Reply 573 of 1761
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    I believe that the last two days' tags are simply plays on pop culture--with no metaphorical significance--other than obvious--i.e., MWSF will have an impact on the future of, at least, Mac computing, and that future will provide more something than current "personal" computing does.

Hopefully it won't take as long as Enterprise's original five year mission.

Perhaps tomorrow's tag will be....

"Here's the Beef!"

AI will be down to a handful of members since all of our heads will've popped.
  • Reply 574 of 1761
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Think of a place where people would never put a computer. And I don't mean your kitchen or bathroom. THAT'S been done already.
  • Reply 575 of 1761
    I don't think a global satelite-based wan is doable. You can't really recieve much beyond GPS signals using a handhelds attenna, and those signals are generic and not targeted to the individual. Likewise for transmittance.... So unless you want to lug around a a powered parabolic dish... satellites are a no go.

Now cellular is a different story.

I think they must mean speed(1.8ghz+) or bitness(64). A tablet is not so different than an ibook as to increase mobility. And an 'iWalk' like device is not a PC really.

I don't think they'll have 1.8ghz+ chips in either G4 or G5. So maybe 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 ghz 64 bit G5s ? I think these may surface. Remember these were developed in parallel with the G4. I think it's their time. A 1.6 Ghz G5 will definately give a 1.8 ghz P4 a run for its money. maybe
  • Reply 576 of 1761
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:

<strong>

Too bad Apple goes outta business due to $0 cashflow for a whole quarter... Nobody could or would want to go 3 months with ZERO hardware sales...

Dave</strong><hr></blockquote>

I recall that that was roughly the timeframe between intro and delivery of the TiBook. IIRC the G4s were similar. They have often said "available now" when in fact they were available in 6 weeks; quoted ship times of 2 weeks on new products usually end up closer to 10. He would probably say they were available as of some date in February - then ship two units on that date to keep his word. The rest would wait another 3 weeks.

My point: a 2-month delay from intro to actual shipping in quantity has been seen before.
  • Reply 577 of 1761
    [quote] Yes they have made coded references before twice... once for the Apple online store intro and once for Pro Go Woha (somethink like that) for the G3, new powerbook and iMacs.

<hr></blockquote>

While I can't speak to the apple online store intro...I remember the Pro.Go.Whoa. - I think that pro and go were obvious and whoa is hardly along the same lines as "this sounds like something from star trek, hey! there was a project code named star trek 8 years ago, so therefore..." Whoa meant Whoa! and most of the industry responded just like that.

[quote] I believe that the last two days' tags are simply plays on pop culture--with no metaphorical significance <hr></blockquote>

hooray for occam's razor! It's great to speculate and I'm not stifling that, but I think that those using other industry hints have a lot stronger source material than those 'decoding' a set of adspeak hype.

rr.
  • Reply 578 of 1761
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    If it is only a sneak preview I agree it would be something that couldn´t hurt sales now (like the consumer desktop hints when Apple didn´t have a consumer product).

Perhaps its a long term strategy of changing something we don´t question today. The netboot thing would fit that, also the cube servers in space. To announce something like that would not hurt sales now and even give a reason to buy one of "those sci-fi macs". I don´t think its netboot or spaced cubes but perhaps something in that territory.

Any ideas?

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Anders ]</p>
  • Reply 579 of 1761
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    How about wireless firewire p2p network. Obviously not powered but you wouldn't need a central access point like an ethernet based wireless, and for your home (and even your business) it would be plenty fast. Firewire already supports p2p networking over wire... imagine if all your printers, scanners, PDA's did they same with out wires.
  • Reply 580 of 1761
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Isn?t it obvious? Read the Gigawire trademark application. Study the daily Apple hints. Star Trek. Come on people! Apple has developed a way of transporting things via the internet. Yeah, even people. In fact the whole project originated as a cheaper way to get Steve from Apple to Pixar, and from SF to NY. With the situation in the airline industry, Apple has decided this may be the perfect time to introduce such a personal transportation service. Yeah, there will be a home unit, but it will be small. Think Powerbook, books from Amazon or pizza delivery. And you thought you knew what a Domino chip was. Hah! It helps keep food at the perfect temperature. There is a slim chance that the home unit will be large enough for a small pet or baby, but Steve wants to keep the cost down, so don?t count on it.