Parralell or BootCamp?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Which is better for running PC apps and easily switching back to my Mac quickly? Parralell? or BootCamp?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Parallels. Very quick -- even in Acrobat 8, Word, etc.

I have had some issues using 'wasteful' VB scripts -- it's not only crashed parallels, but locked up the Mac. Hard. Stop the clock hard, with 3Gb of Ram and 756Gb allocated to the virtual machine.

Don't get me wrong, for any kind of day-to-day use it is a dream come true. Just don't throw 20 30-page documents at it, and ask it to look through every Paragraph object in every document.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    The only slow downs I have had in Parallels is when working directly off of a thumb drive in AutoCad. It is not very slow by any means, but it is not instant. For instance, it takes 2 - 3 seconds to save a drawing on the thumb drive directly instead of that instant save I am use to. However, with the new beta 3036 I may be able to access my iDisk and eliminate the need to use a thumb drive. Which would be very cool for me.

I vote Parallels and I have both running on my MBP. I never use Boot Camp except for one USB component that only works through Boot Camp. I haven't tried the device since the 3036 Beta.

On my iMac Core 2 Duo I have only Parallels running and it rocks.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I've deleted Parallels in favour of Bootcamp for the time being. I needed 3D support and Parallels was also making my Mac system sluggish when it ran and for a while after. I think it was messing with my VM caches or something.

Bootcamp is definitely faster but not as convenient.

If I were you, I'd install Windows on a Bootcamped partition because the newest Parallels can use the Windows version on it anyway. In other words, you can reboot into Windows but if you are in Mac OS X, you can boot that same Windows setup using Parallels.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    What is better to do for use windows only through parallels? Install win with bootcamp and use it using parallels, or install win inside parallels(without bootcamp)?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Didn't I read recently that Parallels can boot a Bootcamp partition? Or will be able to?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    The beta can do it now.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    How many years the parallels will be in 'beta' version?

Does this mean it could crash the whole system?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    There have been two non-beta releases of Parallels.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I look to their site but I do not find the information I want.

Any history list(what change to every version)?

Latest stable version (code number)?

Latest beta version (code number)?

I mean in their site, not by looking to this lovely forum.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cool11

I look to their site but I do not find the information I want.

Any history list(what change to every version)?

Latest stable version (code number)?

Latest beta version (code number)?

I mean in their site, not by looking to this lovely forum.

Their latest stable version is available at http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/ , has build number 1970 and version number 2.2. One major addition over 2.1 (which was the first stable Mac version) is full support for Core 2 Duo / Xeon 5100 Macs (namely, the Mac Pro and the Core 2 Duo iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros), including RAM access beyond a 2 GB limit.

Their latest beta version is available at http://forum.parallels.com/thread5997.html , has build number 3036 and version number 2.5. The big new feature is "Coherence", a mode that makes the Windows invisible, thus allowing for almost seamless stacking of Mac OS X and Windows XP windows. In addition, this also adds other features such as drag & drop between the Finder and the Explorer in order to copy files back and forth.

In addition, version 3.0 is in the works, with features such as 3D graphics acceleration, though the extent of this is unknown, and, I believe, multiple virtualized CPU cores (at this point, the virtualized CPU will behave as one core).
  • Reply 11 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

What is better to do for use windows only through parallels? Install win with bootcamp and use it using parallels, or install win inside parallels(without bootcamp)?

They will run the same because Parallels is just loading Windows from the location but Bootcamp gives you the option to run Windows on its own. It actually saves me space too because I can still use the Windows partition from the Mac side given that I've formatted it as FAT32. This means I can save video files and things to it and deleting them frees up the space whereas a Parallels disk image you always have to recompress it to free up space. I've also found sharing files with Parallels via the shared folder to be temperamental and often says the folder is inaccessible.

Quote:

How many years the parallels will be in 'beta' version?

The trouble with virtualization is that it's very complex so it needs thorough end user testing. But updates are usually pretty quick. I'm waiting on version 3 of Parallels before I use it again to see if the 3D support is good enough. Parallels still has a Ram limitation though and that will always make some things slower.