Goofy picture of Mel embedded in Apocalypto teaser

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Well, here's an odd one from our favorite nut boy:

If you go to the Apocalypto teaser on the Apple QT site and start single framing through at just about two thirds in-- starting where we see a guys grimacing head as he gets caught in a net, but just before the six dudes who look like they're covered in chalk, wearing white headbands-- you will see a single frame of Mel hisself in full patriarch beard hanging with said dudes and grinning.... well, frankly it looks a little maniacal.

And he appears to have a stick in his mouth, but I guess that's a cigarette.

Like so:

Pretty funny, I guess, but I've never seen the like of it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah, I have a collection of movies and music with "subliminal messages" and I read about that and downloaded it when the trailer came out. Did you catch it yourself? I swear I can't see it when the trailer plays at normal speed, even if I know when and where to look. I've shown it to many other people and most say they can't see it. (I read about it rather than found it on my own.)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Yeah, I had watched that a couple of times and had no idea. I read about it (they had a slowed down version) and I had to go check to make sure it wasn't just a hoax.

Can't see it all at speed... I think the fact that the next image (the mud men, or whatever) is much lighter than the image just before Mel helps mask it--before you eye can register that frame, it gets sort of swamped out by the next.

Hmm..... maybe I'll drop some frames into a ripped DVD sequence to test my theory. I'm assuming a lighter single frame followed by a darker scene would stand out more.

EDIT: I looked again, and I'm wrong. There's a black frame, then Mel, but the Mel shot is the exact same tonality as the shot that follows (yellow filter and all) so it just blends in.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    It's at 1:46 precisely. I have it on my blog (see my link).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Looks like Tyler Durden got a job editing trailers and is back to putting one frame dicks in there.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Do you think someone slipped it in there or did Mel plan it that way.