iTV - let's clear up some things!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Let's not get into the debate about what it will be called, that's not overly important as we know they'll think of something fitting. Instead lets get some things straight.

1. How will it stream movie trailers and such to our TV's over the internet if you have no wireless router? Please give the gory details, cause I'm confused about this. I'm guessing you have a Mac connected to the net, and iTV will pull its signal from that, but how will it get the bandwidth needed?

2. Hard drive or not? Is it needed?

3. How will point 1. fair with HD downloads?

4. Will the iTV act as a wireless router? i.e. You own iTV, you have no other router, you can sit on your couch and surf away or wherever around your house, now it was definitely worth $299.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    1. Using a peer-to-peer connection. You don't need a wireless router to connect two computers, why would you need one to connect to the iTV?

2. Not needed, but then your computer would always have to be on.

3. Fine.

4. Hopefully, but who knows. It does have an ethernet port, so I don't see why not.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

1. Using a peer-to-peer connection. You don't need a wireless router to connect two computers, why would you need one to connect to the iTV?

2. Not needed, but then your computer would always have to be on.

3. Fine.

4. Hopefully, but who knows. It does have an ethernet port, so I don't see why not.

But why use the ethernet port if the thing is in the Tv room?

That's my point, it wont be near any cable modem etc. so it wont be able to connect to my modem, in my house.

Will it be able to act as a wireless router using peer to peer wireless network with my desktop wired internet connected Mac, so I will be able to turn on my internet connected Mac in one room, turn on iTV in the other room, and then sit on my couch or wherever with my notebook and surf away?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

But why use the ethernet port if the thing is in the Tv room?

That's my point, it wont be near any cable modem etc. so it wont be able to connect to my modem, in my house.

To use a Wired Connection instead of a Wireless one
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

To use a Wired Connection instead of a Wireless one

Read the rest.

Same goes for my sister, her iMac and all the internet goodness is upstairs in her house, but her 42" Panny is downstairs in her sunroom. Guess what room her iTV will be in? So the question is if her iTV is powered on, and her Mac is powered on, will I be able to surf away on her couch with my Mac notebook from downstairs without any additional router?

/keep in mind her circumstances wont allow any ethernet cable near her iTV.

If this is somehow possible due to 802.11n speeds etc., personally I believe it to be a great selling point for the iTV. Steve Jobs can then say not only can you get the whole iTunes/front row experience on your TV from your couch, but you'll have a new great wireless router as bonus.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

Let's not get into the debate about what it will be called, that's not overly important as we know they'll think of something fitting. Instead lets get some things straight.

1. How will it stream movie trailers and such to our TV's over the internet if you have no wireless router? Please give the gory details, cause I'm confused about this. I'm guessing you have a Mac connected to the net, and iTV will pull its signal from that, but how will it get the bandwidth needed?

2. Hard drive or not? Is it needed?

3. How will point 1. fair with HD downloads?

4. Will the iTV act as a wireless router? i.e. You own iTV, you have no other router, you can sit on your couch and surf away or wherever around your house, now it's was definitely worth $299.

1. iTV will have 802.11n built in. You must have a wirless capable Mac or PC to stream to it using 802.11b/g/n

2. I believe it'll have a small hard drive for local storage and caching.

3. I do believe it'll have routing functionality as well with a subset of Safari loaded for browsing (???)

4. I do believe I will be buying iTV or whatever they decide to call it. Now on the the arduous task of ripping all my music.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Read the rest.

-_- Editing your Post right after I replied to it -_-

As for the ITV being used as a router, I assume you mean something like Airport Express but with Video? Well I doubt it. I don't think the software on the iTV will allow for this to happen, however there is no reason Apple couldn't make it happen, so at this we just have to wait and see.

Sebastian
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

1. iTV will have 802.11n built in. You must have a wirless capable Mac or PC to stream to it using 802.11b/g/n

2. I believe it'll have a small hard drive for local storage and caching.

3. I do believe it'll have routing functionality as well with a subset of Safari loaded for browsing (???)

4. I do believe I will be buying iTV or whatever they decide to call it. Now on the the arduous task of ripping all my music.

I am doubting half of this, number 2 and 3 acrtually.

We know very FEW details about the iTV for sure, and the only thing we do know is the IO connections, iTV is not the final name, and it was made mainly to get iTunes Movies onto a TV without having to burn a DVD (the power of DRM)

for number 2, they could just use some Flash Memory for any small local storage and caching requirements. For number 3, it's completely out of the blue and wouldn't fit in. More wishful thinking anyways. Even Number 1 (the first half) isn't guranteed, it's just likely. But if it has n it will be draft-n because N is not final, and I don't believe it's set to be ratified until early 08 at this point.

Sebastian
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

-_- Editing your Post right after I replied to it -_-

It may have looked that way, but I didn't think anyone commented, I still had more to say.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

It may have looked that way, but I didn't think anyone commented, I still had more to say.

That can't be helped 8)
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Read the rest.

Same goes for my sister, her iMac and all the internet goodness is upstairs in her house, but her 42" Panny is downstairs in her sunroom. Guess what room her iTV will be in? So the question is if her iTV is powered on, and her Mac is powered on, will I be able to surf away on her couch with my Mac notebook from downstairs without any additional router?

/keep in mind her circumstances wont allow any ethernet cable near her iTV.

So buy a wireless router, and then you don't have to worry or guess about the future. You can pick up a Linksys WRT54G (a great router!!) for less than $50. Then surf all over the house, even before you get the iTV. Then her Mac doesn't even need to be on for you to surf the net

My situation is like this:

All the computers are upstairs. The Cable for my TV and Internet is downstairs. I have a Linksys WRT54g as my wireless router. When I get an iTV, i'll hardline it into my router, since i will be right next to it. Streaming away.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787

So buy a wireless router, and then you don't have to worry or guess about the future. You can pick up a Linksys WRT54G (a great router!!) for less than $50. Then surf all over the house, even before you get the iTV. Then her Mac doesn't even need to be on for you to surf the net

My situation is like this:

All the computers are upstairs. The Cable for my TV and Internet is downstairs. I have a Linksys WRT54g as my wireless router. When I get an iTV, i'll hardline it into my router, since i will be right next to it. Streaming away.

I know there's already solutions for this, but I'm just concerned about the iTV as my sister and myself are interested in buying one, and people want simple solutions. If the iTV doubles as a wireless router it would solve problems and confusion, and enable convenience.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I'll bet $100 that it WILL be a router. Apple knows that market-acceptance is dictated by serving multiple needs; even if you're not going to watch streamed movies, wouldn't you like a new 802.11n router?

Plus, it's so easy to do. We know it has an ethernet port (LAN/Web in) and an 802.11n card (WiFi out), all that's missing is a little firmware/software.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, iTV will need 802.11n wireless speeds to stream HD. Macs shipped in the last few months have quietly included 802.11n capable cards. BUT, networks default to the lowest common denominator, so your whole Wireless Network (used for other things) needs to be 802.11n in order for this to work. So, either you're buying the iTV AND a router, or just the iTV.

Given the Airport Express, this is a no-brainer.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Remember, even if it is a router, it will still be only Draft-N or just not include N. Chances are it will be Draft-N.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    iTV should have built in HomePlug AV.

I use it to stream itunes around the house ( Devolo adapters) and I HIGHLY recomend. Much better than WiFi. Transparent , no wireless interference. Top Tech.

I don´t know how Apple has not adopted this standard. Wake up. Wirelesss is BAD for the home setup.

I also use the HomePlug Router tucked away and I have instant network in EVERY power outlet in the house. This is really the way to go. EVERY device needs Power, so you just plug it in and it is connected to the network. No line of sight bullshit, no interference crap, no antennas headache, nothing . All is clean and straightforward just like Apple wants to be.

Just plug the mac and the iTV or airport Express to Power ..BAM ! Instant connectivity...

My 2 cents.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy

iTV should have built in HomePlug AV.

I use it to stream itunes around the house ( Devolo adapters) and I HIGHLY recomend. Much better than WiFi. Transparent , no wireless interference. Top Tech.

I don´t know how Apple has not adopted this standard. Wake up. Wirelesss is BAD for the home setup.

I also use the HomePlug Router tucked away and I have instant network in EVERY power outlet in the house. This is really the way to go. EVERY device needs Power, so you just plug it in and it is connected to the network. No line of sight bullshit, no interference crap, no antennas headache, nothing . All is clean and straightforward just like Apple wants to be.

Just plug the mac and the iTV or airport Express to Power ..BAM ! Instant connectivity...

My 2 cents.

I thought these Products were not too Widespread yet?

From the sound of things it sounds pretty stable? Do you know how fast it is though?

Sebastian
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

I thought these Products were not too Widespread yet?

From the sound of things it sounds pretty stable? Do you know how fast it is though?

Sebastian

I ´ve had 14 Mbps ( Homeplug version1 ) for 3 years now. Router and Power adapters.

I just upgraded to 200 Mbps. It's the Homeplug AV version.

It rocks. http://www.homeplug.org
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy

I ´ve had 14 Mbps ( Homeplug version1 ) for 3 years now. Router and Power adapters.

I just upgraded to 200 Mbps. It's the Homeplug AV version.

It rocks. http://www.homeplug.org

Nice

I'll check it out again

Sebastian