Bootcamp & Parralells questions (Not which one should i use)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello. I have a few Parralells and Bootcamp questions. I know there have been a lot of posts about which is better. None have addressed this. I am considering using both b/c the new Parralells can do that but i have some questions

Bootcamp:

1- With bootcamp, is there any way to enlarge the partition without losing data?

2- How bad is filesharing? I know there is MacDrive for windows but is there any solution for mac?

3- How does it work for selecting airport base stations and stuff like that?

4-Will one of those USB TV tuners work fine in Bootcamp

Parralells:

5-In Parralells, does the iSights work. i know they now do in Bootcamp?

6- Similar to 4, will a USB tv tuner work in Parralells?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jwink3101

4-Will one of those USB TV tuners work fine in Bootcamp

Sure.

Quote:

Parralells:

No, not yet.

Quote:

6- Similar to 4, will a USB tv tuner work in Parralells?

Not well. USB 2.0 support is coming up in a new version.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

1- With bootcamp, is there any way to enlarge the partition without losing data?

I really doubt you can do it the way Parallels does it. What you'd have to do is clone the partition and make a bigger one with Bootcamp then clone it back.

Quote:

2- How bad is filesharing? I know there is MacDrive for windows but is there any solution for mac?

If you mean between a Windows partition, if you format as 32GB, it mounts when you are in OS X with read/write capability. If you use NTFS with a partition, you'd need an external FAT32 drive to share data. In both cases FAT32 is limited to 4GB file sizes so not ideal.

I suspect you want a partition bigger than 32GB hence NTFS and wonder how you can share files from OS X. You can't do it easily but it's still better than relying on Parallels' flakey shared folder setup.

Quote:

3- How does it work for selecting airport base stations and stuff like that?

Parallels shares your Mac network, Bootcamped Windows just seems to work like the Mac does. I use ethernet networking though so I can't say how reliable wireless networking is.

Quote:

What you might need to do is either use Bootcamp to burn a drivers CD or possibly just download the drivers CD and install that under Parallels. I'm not sure if it will work but you'd need to install those drivers anyway.