Cisco introduces "iPhone" family of devices

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Cisco Systems and its Linksys division are drawing headlines and causing a stir Monday after introducing a family of Voice over IP (VoIP) devices bearing the "iPhone" product name.

Until now, analysts and members of the media have largely associated the iPhone moniker with Apple Computer's much-rumored iPod cell phone project. The iPod maker retains ownership of the iPhone.org domain name and has also filed for trademarks on the term at overseas trademark offices.

However, Cisco has claimed ownership of the iPhone mark for the past ten years and stated today that it plans to use the name as part of a larger strategic vision concerning networked homes. Its new line of iPhone devices integrate popular communication clients, like Skype and Yahoo! Messenger with Voice, to help enable real-time presence features that can allow consumers to see when their friends and family are online and ready to receive a call.

"With products in the iPhone family, callers can toggle between the free VoIP calling options available from Skype or Yahoo! and traditional landline service with the click of a button," the company said.

The seven models introduced Monday include: iPhone Cordless Internet Telephony Kit ($79.99), iPhone Dual-Mode Internet Telephony Kit ($99.99), iPhone Dual-Mode Cordless Phone for Yahoo! Messenger with Voice ($99.99), iPhone Dual-Mode Internet Telephony Kit for Skype ($179.99), iPhone Wireless-G IP Phone ($219.99), iPhone Wireless-G Phone for Skype ($199.99), and iPhone Wireless-G IP Phone ($369.99).

Cisco said its iPhone Wireless-G IP device includes a Web browser that lets customers access music, photos, and streaming video from sources on the Internet so they can combine the product with wireless video cameras to create a real-time home monitoring solution.

iPhone Wireless-G Phone for Skype

Meanwhile, the Dual-Mode model with Yahoo!Messenger allows users to program the device with a local zip code, delivering access to local business information and weather forecasts.

"As the next generation of handheld devices, Linksys iPhone voice solutions and products are changing the way people communicate with their friends, family and colleagues," said Mike Pocock, Linksys senior vice president and general manager. "They enable compelling internet services, allow consumers to know when their contacts are available for calls, and offer access to personal content like music, movies and live video cameras."

Cisco's announcements Monday do not affect Apple's own "iPhone" plans, which are still expected -- likely under a distinct product name -- in the first quarter of 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    That is the most disturbing image of an iPhone I've ever seen.
  • Reply 2 of 93
    that is just wrong...
  • Reply 3 of 93
    Quote:

The seven models introduced Monday include: iPhone Cordless Internet Telephony Kit ($79.99), iPhone Dual-Mode Internet Telephony Kit ($99.99), iPhone Dual-Mode Cordless Phone for Yahoo! Messenger with Voice ($99.99), iPhone Dual-Mode Internet Telephony Kit for Skype ($179.99), iPhone Wireless-G IP Phone ($219.99), iPhone Wireless-G Phone for Skype ($199.99), and iPhone Wireless-G IP Phone ($369.99).

With all these damn models what ordinary (non-geek) consumer will know which one to get? Seriously, this is as bad as the multiple versions of Vista.
  • Reply 4 of 93
    Fake! Looks Photoshopped to me. come on Cisco you can do better!

Seriously though. Apple will give it a iPod based brand name...iPod phone
  • Reply 5 of 93
    I hope it's not iPod phone. THat sounds horrible. It'll be something very distinct and creative I'm sure.

And I think the average consumer will be able to tell the difference between this and the real deal. All this does is make Cisco's new phone look like a cheap Apple imitation product, one that hasn't even been released! It's incredible, people are copying Apple's products before they've even been announced!
  • Reply 6 of 93
    I just noticed that in typical Linksys fashion these devices have only PC drivers.
  • Reply 7 of 93
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Apple always has the name "Apple Talk" to fall back on.
  • Reply 8 of 93
    Yeah. I'll have to hunt down the marketing info, but at first glance this seems like a confusing product line up.

3 "Telephony Kits" - whatever that means, I'm guessing it's the access point.

2 "Dual mode cordless phones" - do these connect to the Telephony kits?

3 "Wireless G" phones. Maybe these talk directly to the network, no "kit" needed?

And there's two "Wireless G IP iPhones" at different prices - must be a typo somewhere in the announcement.

At the least, they sting Apple with the name, iPhone, but Apple has to have known about that so that shouldn't affect anything. All it will do is create distracting buzz and drive the stock price down for a few days.

- Jasen.

P.S. Link to their product lineup http://tinyurl.com/yhtzdm

What a mess. They have 7 different physical devices. Some of them only seem to differ by whether they use Skype or Yahoo! - i.e. what IP carrier they support.

What a mess for retailers, too. There are now seven different packages to keep track of or stock. I'd much rather see unified hardware with the options set via software.

Not impressed.
  • Reply 9 of 93
    I personally think what happen is Cisco and Apple use all the same suppliers and manufactures and people their lines got crossed. Rumors that there was an iphone in the works and as suppliers and manufactures made comments about an iphone everyone jumped to the conclusion that is must be Apple.

Now you can imagine all the people at Apple and Cisco were laughing their a**es off today at everyone's surprise.
  • Reply 10 of 93
    Apple Talk works for me!

iCom (communation) mite work too.
  • Reply 11 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64

I personally think what happen is Cisco and Apple use all the same suppliers and manufactures and people their lines got crossed. Rumors that there was an iphone in the works and as suppliers and manufactures made comments about an iphone everyone jumped to the conclusion that is must be Apple.

Now you can imagine all the people at Apple and Cisco were laughing their a**es off today at everyone's surprise.

It is funny. I can't recall where, but I read one report last week that stated an iPhone would be released today.

Despite this Cisco version I'm confident that Apple will release it's own phone shortly. It has to, or risk losing iPod and iTunes customers. I can't wait to play my iTS purchased content on my iFon, iTalk, iVibe, iWhatever.
  • Reply 12 of 93
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Well, the rumor sites were right on the whole 'iPhone' thing...just wrong on the details. Finally, Think Secret can say they were right about something. I stand corrected, I never thought it would happen.

Funny how AI continues to use the 'iPhone' name for their rumored Apple product, even though the name is clearly unavailable.
  • Reply 13 of 93
    iPod is a nice generic name. They could call it the iPod Phone, but I suspect they'll come up with something snazzier. Using the iPod name they'd build on the iPod name, rather than trying to build another. Especially if the first gen phone will be just a phone backed onto a Nano. Maybe the iPod Communicator? I like it.

Wasn't there was also talk of the thing being called the iChat Mobile? I don't particularly like it, but at least some folks know what an iChat is.

Of course the folks at Apple are enjoying every minute of this. They've known Cisco owned the trademark and unless they thought they could buy the name, they've long had other plans.

Or to start an unfounded rumor, maybe Apple is in cahoots with Cisco to make the long-range wireless version of the iPhone? Or maybe Apple will just buy Cisco? (Ok, never mind the fact that Cisco has twice the market cap of Apple...)
  • Reply 14 of 93
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    They wouldn't call it iPod Phone, they might call it iPod Talk or something though...
  • Reply 15 of 93
    Engadget was right!

Really screws Steve-o on the marketing plan, tho.
  • Reply 16 of 93
    IPod phone does not sound too bad. \
  • Reply 17 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi

They wouldn't call it iPod Phone, they might call it iPod Talk or something though...

iPod AV

iPod Connect

iPod Cell

iPod-o-rama

iPod Network

iPod Me

cellPod
  • Reply 18 of 93
    iChat mobile

FTW!!!!!111one
  • Reply 19 of 93
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    It's about time Apple got over the iFad anyway. It was fresh when the original iMac came out eight years ago, but now it's dated, iPod notwithstanding. iPhone was a little too limiting anyway. Apple's gadget should be so much more than just a phone. And it didn't show much imagination. It belongs to something as generic as this thing.

And that is one ugly iPhone. Probably with a horrible user interface, if I know Cisco. I mean, come on. I don't know who Cisco is trying to fool, but they have never been and will never be a consumer electronics company.
  • Reply 20 of 93
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi

PhonePod.