Apple Store weaknesses

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Black MacBook, to nitpick, is not purely cosmetic. There are distinct hardware improvements over White MacBooks.

Yes, I understand this... but equally equipped white and black Mac Books are $50 apart in price.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:

So you like punching girls huh?

Naw, I punch them in their taint. Like Dane Cook.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Yes, I understand this... but equally equipped white and black Mac Books are $50 apart in price.

Ahhh.... Good catch.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Genius Bar Genius Bar Genius Bar.

That's been the complaint I've heard the most; people having to wait hours and never having their problems actually fixed.

I had just the opposite experience the only time I used the Genius Bar: made an appointment and was right on time, and they told me how to fix my out-of-warrenty Apple-Care-less ipod! rock on!
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Sometimes they do weird things like give you stuff without documentation. One time my power cord was messed up so I brought it in the store. The genius was kinda busy so he just grabbed me one from the back and gave it to me, no questions asked. He just said, "Here take it." Seemed kind of odd, but I didn't complain. Got a new power cord for nothing!
  • Reply 26 of 36
    The biggest problem is the uneducated staff. I can't count the number of times I have asked a sales person about the hardware or a detail about the system and they have no idea about how to even find an answer. Apple needs to give there sales people more training on the products they sell.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Sometimes they do weird things like give you stuff without documentation. One time my power cord was messed up so I brought it in the store. The genius was kinda busy so he just grabbed me one from the back and gave it to me, no questions asked. He just said, "Here take it." Seemed kind of odd, but I didn't complain. Got a new power cord for nothing!

Mmm... damn, I always need that documentation for a power cord. I'm lost without that documentation FOR A FRIGGIN POWER CORD!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:

Mmm... damn, I always need that documentation for a power cord. I'm lost without that documentation FOR A FRIGGIN POWER CORD!!!!

Documentation as in a written history of that transaction occurring. They've done the same for me.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:

I meant like a receipt or something to that nature, fool!

EDIT: I didn't read greg's post before this, but yeah, what he said!
  • Reply 30 of 36
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Simple economics: that cord costs less than $0.25 - it would cost a lot more in his time to help you if it was just a power cord. and he can just remember it and deduct it from inventory when they are not so busy.

By the way; what do the geniuses make anyhow? I would assume ~$20/hr as a competent Windows tech could command $15 and Apple is a rare specialty,
  • Reply 31 of 36
    When is the Genius Bar not busy?

Anyways, I understand why he did what he did. The bar is a madhouse. It's just not a norm so to speak...
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

Simple economics: that cord costs less than $0.25 - it would cost a lot more in his time to help you if it was just a power cord. and he can just remember it and deduct it from inventory when they are not so busy.

By the way; what do the geniuses make anyhow? I would assume ~$20/hr as a competent Windows tech could command $15 and Apple is a rare specialty,

Actually, it costs $80... though that's not to say it doesn't cost THEM 25¢.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:

When is the Genius Bar not busy?

Anyways, I understand why he did what he did. The bar is a madhouse. It's just not a norm so to speak...

See this is the beauty of the 24-hour operation of the 5th Avenue store. It's by no means empty at 3AM, but hell, I've gotten two geniuses to do hours of work on my PowerBook for free - and they're not frazzled, so they're really friendly.

But I do find that the sales reps are often not that knowledgeable and often fanboyish. I hears a lot more windows bashing from the sales and creative staff than from the geniuses.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Guys, schedule an appointment ahead of time at a Genius bar so you don't have to wait (via the interweb).

This isn't rocket science.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoopaDrive

Guys, schedule an appointment ahead of time at a Genius bar so you don't have to wait (via the interweb).

This isn't rocket science.

Gee, I never thought of that.

That doesn't change the fact they're busy. I've scheduled one before and it didn't matter. You still have to wait for the person in front of you to be finished. And if it's a real problem, you're going to be waiting (as did I) for quite some time.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    I've never had to wait when I schedule an appointment. Unless you guys are going in on the weekends.