3 questions about mail

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I am the new owner of a Macbook. I'm not new to Macs but my last OS was 9 and so just about everything about 10/X is new to me. (I've used a PC since that time and regretted every minute of it).

Anyway, I have some questions which I can't seem to find an answer to by poking around the mail program.

1. How do you flag messages?

2. How can I set my inbox to show the newest messages at the top and the oldest messages at the bottom, rather than the oldest and the top/newest at the bottom as it is set up now? I hate having to scroll down to see what's new - I'd rather the new ones apprear at the top. Is there a way to do this?

3. And finally, I will be installing Office 2004 relatively soon. Which mail program is the preferred one - the one that came on the mac or microsoft's? (Was it Entourage? Eudora? Something like that...)

I'm used to Outlook, so I'm trying to get my feet wet with this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranchogirl

Hi,

I am the new owner of a Macbook. I'm not new to Macs but my last OS was 9 and so just about everything about 10/X is new to me. (I've used a PC since that time and regretted every minute of it).

Anyway, I have some questions which I can't seem to find an answer to by poking around the mail program.

1. How do you flag messages?

2. How can I set my inbox to show the newest messages at the top and the oldest messages at the bottom, rather than the oldest and the top/newest at the bottom as it is set up now? I hate having to scroll down to see what's new - I'd rather the new ones apprear at the top. Is there a way to do this?

3. And finally, I will be installing Office 2004 relatively soon. Which mail program is the preferred one - the one that came on the mac or microsoft's? (Was it Entourage? Eudora? Something like that...)

I'm used to Outlook, so I'm trying to get my feet wet with this.

Thanks!

1. Under "Message" in the menu bar, "Mark"-- "Flagged"

2. Click on the date column header

3. Entourage. A matter of preference, Mail has better ties to other Mac programs like Address Book and iCal.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thank you!! That is extremely helpful. I don't know why I couldn't find the answers to those, even in Help...

Good points about compatibility. If I were to use Entourage, wouldn't I just use the address book in that program? Or is address book something else entirely, such as a separate program? Outlook had it integrated. Where else would use Mac mail's address book besides in my e-mail usage?

What is iCal?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranchogirl

Thank you!! That is extremely helpful. I don't know why I couldn't find the answers to those, even in Help...

Good points about compatibility. If I were to use Entourage, wouldn't I just use the address book in that program? Or is address book something else entirely, such as a separate program? Outlook had it integrated. Where else would use Mac mail's address book besides in my e-mail usage?

What is iCal?

Hello,

Entourage is the Mac Outlook and has contacts, calendar included in this program. Mac provides similiar solutions but they are seperate programs - Mail, iCal = calendar and Address Book. I don't use Entourage and rarely use Mail or iCal, so I can't say much for pro's and con's.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Yeah, iCal and Address Book are separate apps along with Mail. But Apple seems to be intent on hooking them into lots of other "iApps", (iChat, Sync, .Mac) and they'll almost certainly have a big role to play if Apple releases the much rumored iPhone, or whatever they end up calling it.

Think of iCal/Address Book as system wide "contact services" for OS X.