Cautionary Tale For iTV Proponents

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
For those pushing the iTV version of the future of television, you have been warned.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...?tw=wn_index_1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I just read the story and this is his conclusion:

Quote:

In the end, getting videos from the internet is not the same as live television programming. However, in a few years, I believe it will be better.

So how exactly is this a warning??
  • Reply 2 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Isn't this exactly what the iTV is for? It allows you to take content from your computer to your TV more easily. The reviewer was ok because he had a dedicated Mac Mini but what if you have a shared Mini, an iMac, Mac Pro etc? That's where iTV comes in.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Microsoft said the hassles are a function of the realities of the content industry.

"The time limit is very much driven by the contract," said Aaron Greenberg, group product marketing manager for Xbox Live. "Companies like HBO have extracted a lot of concessions from content companies in terms of what they can do -- and limiting what other companies can do. Those deals are long-term contracts, and they are not going to expire for a number of years."

Ummmm Microsoft screw off. Just because you didn't have the balls to stand up and fight for consumers doesn't mean I'll accept it. Figure on losing a lot of rentals to Netflix.

Quote:

In the end, getting videos from the internet is not the same as live television programming. However, in a few years, I believe it will be better.

To do that it'll have to get cheaper and offer more control. I don't want to be forced to watch my movies in 24 hrs that's ridiculous. I don't want to pay MORE for a la carte downloads than I already pay for cable (which allows me to watch sports live). I DO want to watch Internet content on my monitor of choice. I do want the granular access to programming that a la cart gives. What likely needs to happen are subcriptions that allow you to prepay (at a good deal) and choose the content you want to purchase. That way the studios get consistent funds coming in and the consumer gets a better deal where they are truly getting the content they desire.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

To do that it'll have to get cheaper and offer more control. I don't want to be forced to watch my movies in 24 hrs that's ridiculous. I don't want to pay MORE for a la carte downloads than I already pay for cable (which allows me to watch sports live). I DO want to watch Internet content on my monitor of choice. I do want the granular access to programming that a la cart gives. What likely needs to happen are subcriptions that allow you to prepay (at a good deal) and choose the content you want to purchase. That way the studios get consistent funds coming in and the consumer gets a better deal where they are truly getting the content they desire.

...otherwise iTV cannot compete against existing solutions, such as Netflix, or even ripped content off the Net. I agree.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This article has little to do with what iTV does. As far as I can tell Apple has no intention of iTV replacing broadcast televison.

iTV simply streams media from the computer to the television. There will be no restriction to what the content is and little restriction on where the content comes from.

Developers see the coming opportunites and are preparing for them with new products.

http://www.flip4mac.com/drivein.htm

iTV in fact would solve some of the problems the author mentioned. The fact that his family no longer gathered to watch television together. The fact that other services gave a time limit in which to finish a movie.

Complaints about Xbox Live are not necessarily warning about iTV. That's the same as saying Plays For Sure didn't work so iTunes won't work.

At last the author said he won't go back to cable television and will continue to recieve media from the internet.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Best way to get family TV sessions going is to buy a nice big HDTV, a sound system, and a DirectTV HD DVR. To be clear, you wish to purchase ONE HDTV... If you buy it, they will come.

As for iTV, I think that iTV is the iPod of Apple's video plans. It is just a delivery device to them. I also won't be at all surprised to see some hardware copy protection built in to make the studio's happy.

Audio = iPod

Video = iTV and video iPod's

Communications = iPhone & iChat

Media distributor for all? Apple via iTunes, etc.

I'm beginning to think in the end, it is all still just a plan to get here:

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/..._navigator.mov

From the brain of Sculley, circa 1987
  • Reply 7 of 7
    If I could just get things to work a little more seamlessly...

Right now I use a combination of NetNewsWire Lite and Transmission to download TV show torrents. Its a manual process, but I get everything I want, and only have to check it once a day. I used to use Azureus and RSSFeed, but either it wouldn't work half the time, or download a bunch of crap I didn't want. So I am now doing the manual RSS stuff. I then can either watch the shows on my computer, or using my TiVO, convert and watch them on my TV.

Now if I had a more automated process (ie, getting RSSFeed and Azureus to work properly namely), and I could just leave it running all the time, I wouldn't mind getting an iTV (assuming in can stream my own content), downloading HR.HDTV rips, and then watching the shows on my HDTV. If it wasn't for live sports, that I watch on occasion, I would stop paying for cable. 95% of the shows I watch I can grab off tv torrent sites. I only watch maybe 6-10 channels, but to get the ones I want, I have to pay for the second level digital package...