Mac OS X key to Apple's consumer electronics strategy

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer plans to leverage one of its most vital assets as it accelerates its assault on the consumer electronics markets.

People familiar with the strategy tell AppleInsider that the Cupertino, Calif.-based company has been developing an operating system based on the core technologies of Mac OS X for use with embedded devices.

Apple intends to integrate the software on a couple of devices beginning early next year, those people say, while more comprehensive plans call for it to form the bedrock of a jaw-dropping device not due to hit the market until the following year.

By leveraging the underpinnings of Mac OS X, Apple is striving to deliver with its consumer electronics products the same flawless digital media experience enjoyed by the approximate 20 million people who use the system on Macs worldwide.

The commonality of the underlying software will also unlock expansive interactive capabilities between the company's electronics devices and its PCs, further fortifying its industry leading integrated model and software advantage.

One of the first Apple devices rumored to draw from the new system is the company's forthcoming iPhone. Sources have maintained that Apple plans to ship the handset on time next quarter despite a flurry of doubt from members of the analyst community.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

One of the first Apple devices rumored to draw off of the new system is the company's forthcoming iPhone. ...

Earth to AppleInsider: The iPhone is a Linksys product.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    MacPhone?
  • Reply 3 of 67
    Whatever, this article is about embedded Mac OS X. . .

If Apple were open with it (which they probably won't be) it could have a monstrous impact on the embedded industry. Right now, there is the embedded Linux camp and the WinCE camp. support for rich graphics has traditionally been the reason why people use WinCE at all. An embedded Mac OS X would tear into WinCE sales, and would likely bury Qtopia in the space of a year.

In all honesty, I think embedded Mac OS X could come to dominate the smart phone market very quickly -- if Apple lets it free.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Steve Jobs is worth every one of those 100 pennies per year, oh and the jet too. His vision not only saved the company upon his return, it has poised the company to topple goliath. Don't laugh and say there is no way, Microsoft is too big. Just as civilizations have crumbled throughout history, so will MS. Few living in the moment could expect the walls to come down.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

...One of the first Apple devices rumored to draw off of the new system is the company's forthcoming iPhone.

The word from is all too often being replaced by this cumbersome abuse of the English language.

Publishers should be aware of this encroaching bastardisation and avoid it, or any others for that matter.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius

The word from is all too often being replaced by this cumbersome abuse of the English language.

Publishers should be aware of this encroaching bastardisation and avoid it, or any others for that matter.

You broke my train of thought, thanks sir.

Now back on topic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple Insider

while more comprehensive plans call for it to form the bedrock of a jaw-dropping device not due to hit the market until the following year. (i.e. 2008, added by me for quote clarity)

There is no way I'm going to waste any time imagining anything with products that far off. I have a hard enough trouble waiting for this iPhone (and guys we all know the name's taken, but that's what we'll call it for now, shall we), which by golly better come at Macworld or I will be genuinely angry with Jobs (don't try and back him up, he can't defend himself anyway). I was using my mobile phone in bed this morning (Razr), and it occured to me how big of a difference an Apple phone could actually make to my life (not just thinking about the world or business for a change). We use our phones so much these days for setting calanders etc. A cool, simple, easy-to-use Apple phone could actually make people happier in their day to day lives. In the year 2006 most people rely on their phone at some level, so who doesn't want to have more pleasure doing that. We are tied to our phones most of the time these days, if that experience was a pleasure instead of a pain, it would be simply marvelous!
  • Reply 7 of 67
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Apple understands, more than any other consumer electronics firm out there, that "It's the software, stupid." And they are the only one out there who has the software and hardware design skills to deliver. Now I'll just sit and wait for Apple's acquisition of Sony's consumer electronics division sometime in the next 5 years. (This becomes likelier depending on how big a flop the PS3 is.) Or a strategic partnership with Apple at the driver's seat is good enough.

When Apple cracks the consumer electronics market, I'm betting on MS-like stock price growth for Apple in the next 20 years. (That is, MS in its heyday when its stock rose about 400 fold.)
  • Reply 8 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius

Well put.

In other news, this site has TOO MANY ADS! Today I had to wait, like, 15 seconds in order to post on a forum that only helps the site to grow. What are you trying to do, AI? Punish us for contributing to your site? I can't say I'll stay around too long if ads continue as such.

-Clive
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy

Now I'll just sit and wait for Apple's acquisition of Sony's consumer electronics division sometime in the next 5 years.

Not gonna happen. Sony has way too much baggage, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big of a product line for Apple to handle. Digital cameras, game consoles, TVs... all things that Apple has had zero experience in.

-Clive
  • Reply 10 of 67
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five

Well put.

In other news, this site has TOO MANY ADS! Today I had to wait, like, 15 seconds in order to post on a forum that only helps the site to grow. What are you trying to do, AI? Punish us for contributing to your site? I can't say I'll stay around too long if ads continue as such.

-Clive

Use a pop-up blocker - I have never noticed an ad on applesider that didn't catch my eye with a naked girl or something, once you have a pop-up blocker the ads melt into the background.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

I have a hard enough trouble waiting for this iPhone which by golly better come at Macworld or I will be genuinely angry with Jobs (don't try and back him up, he can't defend himself anyway).

You know your really starting to get annoying, Apple has never said or announced any plan to release a phone, they are just rumors if you don't know know the difference between a rumor and reality you should stop coming to this site!

If Apple release a phone it will be when there ready not when you say it should... and I for one am very thankful for that fact.

So if your going to cry, whine and act immature because a product that has not been announced is not released when you want it to be released then please and do us a favor... do it somewhere else, thanks.

----

Back on topic

I agree with Splinemodel if Apple releases an embedded Mac OS X, Apple would dominate that market, while the the linux group and windows have good embedded OS's I don't think neither side has made especially fantastic or innovative product and I'm sure Apple could.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    Quote:

Well put.

-Clive

That's strange I haven't seen any ads on this site in years.

Actually I don't see any ads on most sites.

If you are that bugged by it, take 10 seconds and google for a solution to your problem.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    jaw-dropping device ? Here we go again !!
  • Reply 14 of 67
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Not just calendars and address books, but Dashboard widgets are coming to a future Apple pocketable product.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    Quote:

TOO MANY ADS!-Clive

Clive,

I don't see any ads on the Apple Insider website. Zero.

Firefox 2 with Adblock reduces ads to almost nothing everywhere I surf.

,dave
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy

Apple understands, more than any other consumer electronics firm out there, that "It's the software, stupid." And they are the only one out there who has the software and hardware design skills to deliver. Now I'll just sit and wait for Apple's acquisition of Sony's consumer electronics division sometime in the next 5 years. (This becomes likelier depending on how big a flop the PS3 is.) Or a strategic partnership with Apple at the driver's seat is good enough.

When Apple cracks the consumer electronics market, I'm betting on MS-like stock price growth for Apple in the next 20 years. (That is, MS in its heyday when its stock rose about 400 fold.)

I wholeheartedly agree that it is the software that makes the difference.

However I disagree that Apple will acquire Sony's CE division.

Steve has said he wants Apple to be more like Sony as far as being a lifestyle brand.

But Apple doesn't need Sony's baggage.

I am amazed that Sony hasn't figured it out yet. Without their own OS they are always going to be at the mercy of someone else's software.

My guess is that in 5 years Sony, DELL and HP will each have their own distributions of Linux.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    I've long been hoping for a stripped down version of OS X in the iPhone. It would allow for great syncing with apps like iLife, Address Book and iCal. It also open a huge door for current Mac developers to deliver Lite version of their own apps, or at lease the small apps - I'm not talking PhotoShop here. Freeware and shareware developers would have a ball - as would iPhone users.

The challenge will be the Window users. Would Apple let them have a stripped down version of a few Apple apps like iPhoto? Probably as it only increases the halo effect.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt

jaw-dropping device ? Here we go again !!

Newton's revenge.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

Earth to AppleInsider: The iPhone is a Linksys product.

Earth to Mr. Me: Everyone here on our planet uses 'iPhone' as a placeholder for an Apple cell phone.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Newton's revenge.

I loved my Newton, I can only hope that they resurrect.