Non-English LanguagePosts

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm wondering why there aren't any posts on AO in languages other than English. I know there are a number of people here whose native languages are not English. Any particular reason? Powerdoc? Why not just post in French?

GRR! Can a mod please fix that spacing issue in the title?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

I'm wondering why there aren't any posts on AO in languages other than English. I know there are a number of people here whose native languages are not English. Any particular reason? Powerdoc? Why not just post in French?

Parce que Powerdoc veux parler avec des gens qui ne pas parler sa langue?

English is likely the most widely understood language in the world (Mandarin might still have it beat with the sheer number of native speakers it has).
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Then again, English studies are mandatory for kids in China (at least in the large cities).
  • Reply 3 of 23
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Parce que Powerdoc veux parler avec des gens qui ne pas parler sa langue?

Maybe. Maybe he wants to work on his English. Maybe I want to get familiar with my French dictionary again.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

The language for posting on AI is English, due to location. There are plenty of other boards, available in other countries, on which members of AI can post in a variety of languages.

(Powerdoc is no longer part of the staff at AI. He has stepped down to concentrate on his career but you will occasionally see him posting (in English). )
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution

The language for posting on AI is English, due to location. There are plenty of other boards, available in other countries, on which members of AI can post in a variety of languages.

(Powerdoc is no longer part of the staff at AI. He has stepped down to concentrate on his career but you will occasionally see him posting (in English). )

Is that a rule? Seriously. I checked the posting guidelines and didn't see anything. Or is it more of a convention that I'm unaware or (or had simply assumed)?

And I didn't know that PD had decided to get all serious about his doctorin'. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Is that a rule? Seriously. I checked the posting guidelines and didn't see anything. Or is it more of a convention that I'm unaware or (or had simply assumed)?

And I didn't know that PD had decided to get all serious about his doctorin'. Thanks for the heads up.

It's not a rule, per the posting guidelines. The problem, as I see it, with allowing members to post in whichever language they are most comfortable, is that the forums will become fractured quite quickly.

While 100% of the current membership is able to post (to varying degrees of success and readability) in English, the percentage of users capable of posting/understanding threads in French/Swahili/Esperanto/etc. is small. Logistically, moderating a multi-language forum would become impossible.

No hard feelings towards the other written languages, though.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    From time, to time, there was some post written in other languages, but that was the exception. I am member of several forums : half are english and the other are french. So writting in french, is not mandatory for me here.

I discovered in the last congress, that participating in these forums, helped me to have a better english. It's not the primary reason, why I go here, but it's good to see, that these forums are able to rewind you at many levels.

I stepped down from the staff, because I need to concentrate on my career. I will be the representant of the doctors of the little private hospital where I work (300 beds, mostly chirurgical ones) and it's a lot of work. I took the job for 2 years, and after that, they will have to find an other victim
  • Reply 8 of 23
    ????????????? (This was supposed to be in Japanese but it didn't come out that way)

Verden Sie auf deutsch schreiben?

Kanst du svenska?

I think we had better stick to English.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister

Verden Sie auf deutsch schreiben?

I'm ok with German.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Bueno, si quieren "posts" en otros idiomas solo avisenme y con todo gusto les complazco con alguno en español. Si quieren en portugués también se puede. Obrigado.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gilsch View Post

Bueno, si quieren "posts" en otros idiomas solo avisenme y con todo gusto les complazco con alguno en español. Si quieren en portugués también se puede. Obrigado.

I understood most of that! I took my spanish final yesterday. I aced it. I wish I could learn it at a faster pace. Languages are so fascinating.

Powerdoc: can you recommend me a nice french forum that I could post at? I would love somewhere to use my skills.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Compte-t-il si nous employons un service de traducteur ? Je toujours me suis demandé réellement Ã* quel point ces derniers jeu dehors dans la langue que vous traduisez en. Ne traduit pas la substance de l'anglais en langue étrangère et dos semble encore toujours aux choses impaires de yeild, mais je me demandais si peut-être une fois enlevé aussi mauvais.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    The problem with translators is that they are so literal, and a lot of times wrong.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

The problem with translators is that they are so literal, and a lot of times wrong.

Yeah, like I bet the phrase "once removed" didn't get translated into French right by that thing.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Put that whole thing back through that same translator you used and look at the garbage you get back.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    If anything, this thread is reminding me that I have reading knowledge of several languages but couldn't place an order at McDonald's if you put a gun to my head. Reminds me of the time I was in Germany (I can read it but not speak or "hear" it) and was trying to buy a pack of smokes....10, 20, or 25 pack? I resorted to pointing.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

If anything, this thread is reminding me that I have reading knowledge of several languages but couldn't place an order at McDonald's if you put a gun to my head. Reminds me of the time I was in Germany (I can read it but not speak or "hear" it) and was trying to buy a pack of smokes....10, 20, or 25 pack? I resorted to pointing.

Point and grunt, spoken and understood everywhere.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Point and grunt, spoken and understood everywhere.

Yup. I also find that the blank look is mutually intelligible.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I find the "slap to the face" to be equally universal.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

I understood most of that! I took my spanish final yesterday. I aced it. I wish I could learn it at a faster pace. Languages are so fascinating.

Powerdoc: can you recommend me a nice french forum that I could post at? I would love somewhere to use my skills.

What kind of forum would you like to be a member ?

mac related ?

music related ?

anything else ?

for the mac, the reference is Macbidouille : http://www.macbidouille.com/