More CNET anti-apple bias: iPhone Doomed article

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Aw, c'mon. The article was actually kind of funny, and in the spirit of Apple fan-baiting. I laughed.

In all honesty, the author brought up some good points, and it also caused me to think about Apple's track record on their subscription-based services, on which the whispered about Apple phone would be highly dependent. Apple doesn't seem to have a stellar level of success with services that require growing the service and customers, their main successes are with marketing and selling hardware/software innovation. Do they need to hire Nordstrom's as a consultant?

- Dot Mac?: Not a smashing success, but it's still around.

- eWorld?: Abject failure.

- iTunes Music Store?: A success.

- Apple Care Pro?: No idea of this success level.

...anyone have any additions here?
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Aw, c'mon. The article was actually kind of funny, and in the spirit of Apple fan-baiting. I laughed.

I didn't take it seriously, but it just seems CNET is always pushing their PC mentality on MAC products. I was guilty of this for 10 yrs, finally learned to think outside of the box.

"Think different" indeed
  • Reply 3 of 27
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

What is he talking about wrt the mac mini and iMac, both those products were big successes weren't they?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    CNET can be some haters, but they do have the new MacBook as their best mobile computer of the year.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

What is he talking about wrt the mac mini and iMac, both those products were big successes weren't they?

Not in the eyes of a pc user. That's the whole slant here, all through the eyes of a pc user. These people still don't see why the iPod was successful. He thinks it was because Apple put in 1.8in. drives.

He doesn't 'get it' and never will.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000

CNET can be some haters, but they do have the new MacBook as their best mobile computer of the year.

yes they did praise this one.. however, right before the MBP got a 7.4 because it didnt have a media reader and 90 day support.

I would've rated it an 8.4, docking it 1.6 for it's price
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Not in the eyes of a pc user. That's the whole slant here, all through the eyes of a pc user. These people still don't see why the iPod was successful. He thinks it was because Apple put in 1.8in. drives.

He doesn't 'get it' and never will.

Well, it WAS because Apple put in 1.8 inch drives. The scroll wheel helped it stay up there, but it was the drive that actually made it the first usable MP3 player.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    westwest Posts: 34member
    It's kind of sad that he thinks the current US cell phone market is doing well and filled with quality products.
  • Reply 9 of 27

laughable
  • Reply 10 of 27
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Well, it WAS because Apple put in 1.8 inch drives. The scroll wheel helped it stay up there, but it was the drive that actually made it the first usable MP3 player.

Oh, so iTunes has nothing to do with the success of iPod? Have you ever tried to use WMP?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    I swear though, CNET really does have a slight anti-iPod bias. Not surprising seeing as that guy is an Editor at large.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

I swear though, CNET really does have a slight anti-iPod bias. Not surprising seeing as that guy is an Editor at large.

I don't see how you can say that when the iPod has been their highest rated MP3 player for ages. It's only recently had any near competitors, and honestly given the lack of changes its experienced over the past year I can't blame them for starting to take a shine to other players.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by West

It's kind of sad that he thinks the current US cell phone market is doing well and filled with quality products.

Well, if he's dragging up Motorola as nice phones, he's lost my confidence.

All for SonyEricsson. (Who, oddly enough, aren't doing well in America)
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Oh, so iTunes has nothing to do with the success of iPod? Have you ever tried to use WMP?

The iPod was successful way before WIndows had iTunes, so yes, absolutely nothing to do with it.

Did WMP even have permanent playlists then? I thought it was more like QuickTime at that point. There were lots of great music programs like WinAMP, though.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros

Well, if he's dragging up Motorola as nice phones, he's lost my confidence.

All for SonyEricsson. (Who, oddly enough, aren't doing well in America)

Are you serious??

I'm just coming from a SE phone (k700i) and it just, well, extremely sucked!

The key are nasty to use (especially that smal central nipple-like thingy) and the UI also was quite horrible,

man I'm glad it died on me (Rant over.)

Now bring on the iPhone. Uhmmm, iPod phone. whatever.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    I am extremely technogeil except if it's about cellphones.

Still got use a Nokia 6310. It looks like shit but it works perfectly for me.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

The iPod was successful way before WIndows had iTunes, so yes, absolutely nothing to do with it.

Then you ought to get a Zune. Enjoy.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Then you ought to get a Zune. Enjoy.

Ok, I hate playing this card, but it needs to be said.

You're an Apple zealot.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear

Are you serious??

I'm just coming from a SE phone (k700i) and it just, well, extremely sucked!

The key are nasty to use (especially that smal central nipple-like thingy) and the UI also was quite horrible,

man I'm glad it died on me (Rant over.)

Now bring on the iPhone. Uhmmm, iPod phone. whatever.

Patriotic feelings from my side, of course. I won't say that all phones they do are great, but some are. At least in my opinion.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by West

The US cell phone market is doing well... financially. We also have a 70+ % market penetration rate now in the US.

Most of the phones themselves suck, but they are pretty much the same phones you get everywhere else in the world. And that's why Apple NEEDS to enter this market.

The problem with most phones isn't the phone or even the phone design, it's the software. It sucks! All of them are at best mediocre, Nokia perhaps being the least anoying. The menu's are confusing and not at all logical (unless you are an engineer.)

Apple could clean up in the wireless phone market! I would also like to point out that Apple doesn't have to deal with any of the carriers if they don't want to, they can just sell unlocked phones the same way Nokia does now quite successfully on their website and in most of the world. Getting subsidized phones from the carrier is a US thing for the most part.

If Apple is going to be a carrier too rather than just a phone manufacturer, I suspect it will come later.

Corey