Integrating existing web pages into iWeb

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a small business and I have been using Yahoo SiteBuilder to create and maintain my website on my PC. However, they don't currently have a Mac version (they say they are working on it) and so I presume I will need to import my existing website files into iWeb. Can I expect this to be a smooth transition? Is it even possible? If so, any tips?

If it's not possible to integrate my exiting site files into iWeb, what are my options without having to totally redo my site? I am a beginner at web pages - which is why I used SiteBuilder (and a template) in the first place. Nor do I want to spend big $$ to buy a web designing program right now, so I'm really hoping iWeb will work.

I still want to keep using Yahoo hosting for my domain - I can do that right?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Anyone? (Bueller?)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this - but you can't import html or web pages into iweb. It's a little 'flaw' they have - and maybe if we cross our fingers and toes they'll have an update to iweb be announced in a few weeks that takes care of this problem - but it's not a gaurantee. So - in order to use iweb - you'll have to start from scratch. Sorry! I would say though that it sounds like that would be your best option out of all the options you mentioned. Give it a try - designing a site in iweb isn't too difficult - and it may prove to actually be better than yahoo.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I wouldn't bet on iWeb Pro anytime soon, probably just an extension of the themes and some slight usability improvements. Don't expect a pro tool set from iWeb. \
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I found out later that iweb will only support .mac addresses. So, I can't go that route unless I build from scratch because all of my promotional items have my .com address on it.

I tried to download one web designer that was supposed to be "easy," NVu, imported my website files, and they are all messed up.

I still have no idea what to do and I'd love any suggestions! Is my best or only bet to use bootcamp or parallels and just keep using SiteBuilder? I have an intel-based Macbook, and Microsoft says that Virtual PC won't work on the intel-based ones.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranchogirl View Post

I found out later that iweb will only support .mac addresses. So, I can't go that route unless I build from scratch because all of my promotional items have my .com address on it.

I tried to download one web designer that was supposed to be "easy," NVu, imported my website files, and they are all messed up.

I still have no idea what to do and I'd love any suggestions! Is my best or only bet to use bootcamp or parallels and just keep using SiteBuilder? I have an intel-based Macbook, and Microsoft says that Virtual PC won't work on the intel-based ones.

iWeb will support any web address, although I still probably wouldn't use it unless your really just making a quick site to show your family. That's what it's made for.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I can't even get iweb to import my site nor can I find a way to insert my site files.

BEYOND FRUSTRATED.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    reading the help files

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/webhosting/create/

tells us, you can use ANY webcreator & ftp upload app to create & maintain a site at yahoos small business platform ... no need to use the MS only software.. ok, using other tools you miss the yahoo-exclsuive templates ...

so, imho, you have two options:

* get a "pro" website creator/maintance tool, which allows import of existing websites => $$$, Dreamweaver, GoLive et al ...

or have a look at

Contribute

http://www.adobe.com/products/contribute/

which is a tool esp. made to maintain existing (=made with other tools) websites...

* or, create a new website, using iWeb

or Rapidweaver

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...pidweaver.html

or Sandvox

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...s/sandvox.html

and upload to yahoo webspace, following advice given in the Help section, mentioned above...