Recommendations for a Windows XP Virus checker?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Umm,

I still use my Windows laptop (just to synch with my mobile phone and other things).

I've not had it hooked to the internet for sometime - think my Norton Systemsworks expired in 2004 or so.

Looking for a new virus checker - any recommendations?

Has anyone tried Kaspersky Labs or any others? I have enough firewalls but no virus checker yet....

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    i use AVG free edition, works fine for me.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    I have Norton running on my PC, it hasn't failed me yet.

Try Spysweeper though, they just added Anti Virus abilities to it, and it's the best Anti Spyware tool I've used,.. well besides my Mac

Sebastian
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK

I second that recommendation.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Thanks guys -

I'm not too choosy at the moment. I don't like Norton Systemworks for several reasons - mostly it drains my laptop of its available memory - stick on the task manager and my performance deteriorates fast.

I've downloaded AVG - and then it failed to set up! Disengaged Zonealarm and then it worked okay.

Great to see it has a processor-efficient and intense mode to enable on-going multi-tasking work whilst scanning....

Thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK

Thirded. I use it on my Parallels XP Pro machine as well as on one of the two PCs I have at home (the other uses McAfee, but will be switched to AVG once the subscription to McAfee runs out). It's convenient. It's free, and you really can't beat free.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    But what happens come mid-January?

The website says the free version will be discontinued

I'm running a free trial of Zonealarms (firewall) and now AVG - come January, I'm going to have to get the XP laptop off line again ...

Any other ideas?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin

But what happens come mid-January?

The website says the free version will be discontinued

I'm running a free trial of Zonealarms (firewall) and now AVG - come January, I'm going to have to get the XP laptop off line again ...

Any other ideas?

if you downloaded today, check you got version 7.5, you should have. They are discontinuing the functioning of previous versions. If you have 7.5, it will continue to function.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/21/avg_stays_free/
  • Reply 8 of 13
    THanks Marc - I mustn't have read that slowly enough.

Crikes - that AVG virus scanner is running in to 51 minutes now!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution

I second that recommendation.

Third.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin

...I've not had it hooked to the internet for sometime...

If that's an indication of how often you connect with that machine, I wouldn't run any virus software at all.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Thanks guys - I've run the virus checker on the Windows XP laptop and its fine.

Here's something else I found:

http://spamcop.com/help_with_headers/

For anyone who uses an email program...

and another virus checker (online this time) to save anyone from having to trust their own on-board version!

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I do use my XP laptop on internet often! It's just that I've been away from civilisation travelling in remote places since last year where there's no electricity let alone running water! That's why I've not been online with the XP. Now I'm back in my yuppified lifestyle, instead of worrying about hardships such as falling off cliffs and coming off worse in fights with foreigners, I can settle back into to a comfortable lifestyle, albeit neurotic worrying about things like online viruses instead of life

Justin (happy to be relieved of Norton Systemworks!)
  • Reply 12 of 13
    One Care for XP....ForeFront for Vista.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Avast. Free, fast, not bloated, easily updated. http://www.avast.com