Apple to answer the Street's iPhone call on time

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram

I am concerned that Apple, which has already morphed in the market's mindset from a "Mac" company to an "iPod" company...

as i walked past the Apple store a couple of kids were walking near me and one said, hey, there's the iPod store, lets go in there.

nuff said. perceptions of the youth are many times the truth. No iPods in the window either, just a Macbook and an iMac.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    If the iphone is 1/4 inch thick and has a huge touchscreen, that is a whole lot of stuff to squeeze in there... Given the power requirements I should think crappy battery life or less features than people here are hoping for.

Squeezing OSX into flash also seems like one hell of a strecth. Even with Apple prowess at obtaining flash at cheap rates it just seems too much. And you want to add widgets to the mix as well. Plus a camera and video chat? I will be stunned if even the masters at Apple can swing all that. Perhaps .4 inches with a small hard drive that works with a nice chunk of flash?

Although there were rumors of two different models... Perhaps one is 1/4 inch with less features and the other is .4 inch with more stuff?

Here's to hoping Apple doesn't do another integrated battery solution on any of these!

Corey

PS: Perhaps one of you engineering types can answer this, but putting the bandwith issue aside for the moment, wouldn't any processor with enough power to do video chat be at odds with such a small device power wise? My guess is "video chat" using a stored photo...
  • Reply 63 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus

With Lynksys trying to cash in on the Apple related iPhone rumors Apple may be able to require a large disclaimer on the iPhone box stating that the iPhone is not associated with, nor endorsed by, Apple Computer. Lots of stickers to be hand applied. In the end I don't think the use of the name will be the cash cow the marketing types at Linksys anticipates - and the initial reaction might not be all that positive.

Actually, Linksys owns the iPhone trademark because it acquired a company called Cidco that made a desktop "iPhone" telephone that launched in early 1998. The Cidco iPhone had a 7-inch touchscreen and a slide-out keyboard that could be used for Web surfing or sending/receiving email. It pre-dates any Apple i-products, including the iMac. Google image search on "Cidco iphone" to see pictures.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    How about...ApplePhone? But don't write the word on the phone itself, use the apple logo with the word "phone" after it. (apple logo)Phone I'm doing a terrible job explaining this....!!!
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

as i walked past the Apple store a couple of kids were walking near me and one said, hey, there's the iPod store, lets go in there.

nuff said. perceptions of the youth are many times the truth. No iPods in the window either, just a Macbook and an iMac.

Once the "cool" wears off, so will the profits... Apple can try to keep iPod an evergreen product, but it will eventually peak as all trends do. \
  • Reply 66 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus

With Lynksys trying to cash in on the Apple related iPhone rumors Apple may be able to require a large disclaimer on the iPhone box stating that the iPhone is not associated with, nor endorsed by, Apple Computer. Lots of stickers to be hand applied. In the end I don't think the use of the name will be the cash cow the marketing types at Linksys anticipates - and the initial reaction might not be all that positive.

You know, the funny thing is, Apple's never once yet mentioned the "iPhone" by name. The CFO alluded to Apple working on "something" to respond to "competition," but nowhere ever has Apple confirmed a cell phone, let alone given it a name. The "iPhone" moniker, in fact, is something that the analysts and/or mac community invented all on its own...
  • Reply 67 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Dirk

You know, the funny thing is, Apple's never once yet mentioned the "iPhone" by name. The CFO alluded to Apple working on "something" to respond to "competition," but nowhere ever has Apple confirmed a cell phone, let alone given it a name. The "iPhone" moniker, in fact, is something that the analysts and/or mac community invented all on its own...

Then how do you explain this:

www.iphone.org

• Reply 68 of 72
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram

Then how do you explain this:

www.iphone.org

So in your view, they also make mammals?
  • Reply 69 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Cute.

I am not expressing a view, but simply asking the question: "how do you explain this".
  • Reply 70 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

They will, and they'll come in 4 & 8 Gigs.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    Ummm... yeah, I'd like the 8 Gig iPig...
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Does anyone know the story behind mammals.org? The only thing I could find is that it's a play off of Darwin (cue DMZ...)