Tiger to Leopard promise

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Say, I purchase a Macbook Tiger this month and the dealer makes a verbal promise to install the original Leopard free of charge when launched next year. The Leopard deal is not figured in the Tiger invoice.

If Leopard from Update Manager costs 129.00 or even at a discount to dealers, would it be a commercial disadvantage for a dealer to make a licensed Leopard available free of charge or is there something I?m missing here?

To make the deal more plausible than probable, in essence I?m asking if there any way a dealer can offer a licensed Leopard free without incurring costs to himself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ask him to put it in writing, hand writing. He could be a wheeler and dealer?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    You should get this deal in writing and his signature. That will guarantee it and you can fight it if he denies it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tommy Peters View Post

To make the deal more plausible than probable, in essence I?m asking if there any way a dealer can offer a licensed Leopard free without incurring costs to himself.

There's no way he can offer it legally without incurring a cost. Likely, due to the lack of any form of activation measures, he'd just open a Leopard box and install it on multiple customers computers.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lsmaster View Post

You should get this deal in writing and his signature. That will guarantee it and you can fight it if he denies it.

Good idea, cause I never suggested that?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Good deal for you though..
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Good idea, cause I never suggested that?

It was simply backing yours. Sorry for duplicating it?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    The situation is that the barn door is closed but I'll attempt to get something in writing.

The dealer did not specifically mention that he will provide a 'licensed copy' but implied it. I'm left with his word and in the hope that Apple has indeed authorized - as Microsoft did before XP was released - free upgrades to Leopard for recent Tigers who would otherwise wait until it's released.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that for commercial advantage, Apple does not encrypt their OS to its respective machines thus making it possible for unlicensed OSs to appear on other machines.

Now Mac is making me a cautious boy.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Well, it would still be illegal to install a "free" copy if you don't get the whole box too (packaging plus DVD and manuals - everything that is part of the retail box). That's clearly against Apple's EULA, even if Apple, as far as I know, can't exactly track whether a copy of their OS came bundled with the machine or was sold in a separate package.

Don't steal music, don't steal software!