Apple seeks patent on resolution independent user interface

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer is looking to secure exclusive rights to techniques required to produce resolution independent user interfaces, one of the supported features of its forthcoming Mac OS X Leopard operating system.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based Mac maker described several approaches to the technique in a July 21, 2006 filing with the United States Patent and Trademark Office titled "Resolution Independent User Interface Design", which was first published on Thursday.

Essentially, the technology breaks the software assumption that all display output is to be rendered at 72 dots per inch (DPI), allowing an operating system like Mac OS X to draw or represent user interface elements using a scale factor.

"The invention provides a method to represent a graphical user interface object's material map in a procedural and, therefore, resolution independent manner," Apple wrote in the filing. "The method includes receiving values for each of a plurality of attributes associated with a material map object, associating a value for each of the plurality of attributes, and storing the plurality of attributes and their associated values in a file."

The company said 'recipe' files for resolution independent user interfaces may be "flat" or hierarchically-ordered, where a collection of attribute-value pairs form a complete description of the graphical user interface object's material map, hence allowing a rendering module to create a visual representation of the material map at any number of resolutions.

In one interesting aspect of the otherwise predominately procedural filing, Apple notes that "because material maps in accordance with the invention are represented procedurally, they may be encrypted to prevent unauthorized inspection or use."

Another benefit of the technology, the company said, is that each user interface attribute may be associated with a plurality of values, thereby permitting the designer to optimize an object's design for each of a specified number of resolutions.

In a case where the displayed resolution of the graphical object falls between two of the resolutions specified by the designer, a rendering engine may interpolate between the two values -- a technique that generally provides a significantly improved display -- Apple added.

Earlier this year, Apple informed developers through documentation for Leopard that the introduction of resolution independence means that they may have some work to do in order to make their applications look as good as possible.

"For modern Cocoa and Carbon applications, most of the work will center around raster-based resources," the company said. "For older applications that use QuickDraw, more work will be required to replace QuickDraw-based calls with Quartz ones."

Apple's intention to support resolution independence with Mac OS X was first detailed in an August 2004 AppleInsider report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    It sounds pretty complex. I'm looking forward to this.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    This sounds great, I am really looking forward to this...

As long as everyone is playing dirty, it is essential that Apple patent any innovations, regardless of whether or not they should be patented! Whether or not they should go chasing other people is another story, but at least they aren't getting screwed over or having to settle like they have had to in the past.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    That's nice. I hope it offers the ability to make all the text larger without breaking window layouts or downresing the monitor. Then that would allow higher pitch displays and still be readable to more people.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    If the patent is granted, Microsoft finally won't be able to steal/copy another MacOS feature.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

If the patent is granted, Microsoft finally won't be able to steal/copy another MacOS feature.

Patents are 2 fold: 1 is getting the patent which ANYONE can get on ANYTHING.

2 is suing anyone who violates it, and winning.

I could have a patent on the wheel from 2000 BC, but it doesn't do any good if I don't have the scratch to sue firestone.

You have your patents, they have theirs. Many times, people are given patents for something that have already been patented. In that case, enforcement of the patent lies on the original person. That person has to go to court to get rid of the second patent, or they can go to court when the johnny-come-lately starts suing others (far more likely).

So Apple patents this resolution independent thing. M$, 10 years from now, incorporates it. A few years after that, M$ sues Apple for fast user switching. Apple counter-sues because M$ is using the resolution independent thing. Sun Microsystems sues everyone because they're going bankrupt and they actually own patents on everything. Hilarity ensues.

It's all about leverage and NOTHING about intellectual property. There is simply too much sh¡t out there to figure out if you have something they patented or visa versa.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Did you ever wonder why Apple never sued Microsoft (or vice versa) and probably never will?!

It is because patents are not only about intellectual property but they are primarely a powerful tool for negotiating! Meaning, Apple will allow Microsoft to use some of his patents in exchange for Microsoft patents that Apple might need.

So, patents are just a part of the game and very important if you wanna do real business with someone!
  • Reply 7 of 30
    I'm pretty sure I have seen this before! Just can't remember where but it was the exact same thing. Was this feature mentioned those many months ago when I heard of this concept?
  • Reply 8 of 30
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Well, just based on the article posted here, it doesn't sound much different than what Palm OS does to handle multiple resolutions (you can have a collection of different images, etc. that are appropriate for a specific scale/resolution). It's really unclear what they are trying to patent though: a file structure, a way of organizing files, a collection of attribute value pairs??? I mean resolution independence by itself is really, really, really old news ... try 15-20 years ago.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Did you ever wonder why Apple never sued Microsoft (or vice versa) and probably never will?!

They have had at least one lawsuit between them in the past.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Well, just based on the article posted here, it doesn't sound much different than what Palm OS does to handle multiple resolutions (you can have a collection of different images, etc. that are appropriate for a specific scale/resolution). It's really unclear what they are trying to patent though: a file structure, a way of organizing files, a collection of attribute value pairs??? I mean resolution independence by itself is really, really, really old news ... try 15-20 years ago.

I don't see how it applies to Palm OS here since thats only running 1 application at a time at full screen. It's the same thing as running a game on a PC that is set to a different resolution than the desktop.

BTW, I'm part of the staff at PalmInfocenter and Palm Inc's Support Forums.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

They have had at least one lawsuit between them in the past.

But they settled down "somehow", didn't they
  • Reply 12 of 30
    From the screenshot, to me, it's nothing like PalmOS. What PalmOS does is store bitmap images at various resolutions and it picks the most appropriate. That's also what MacOSX does now. Try changing the size of icons in the Finder for instance and you'll see that they don't simply scale down from huge 128x128 bitmaps - there's a few steps along the way.

What Apple are patenting here is a method of storing procedural markup that draws an interface element at a specific resolution. They can store a different procedure at different resolutions which is useful because scaling a 150dpi image down to 72dpi often doesn't look good.

So, they can describe how to create a button at 72dpi differently from at 150dpi and even map several descriptions (or 'recipes') to different resolutions if they're all similar enough.

As some of the screenshots of the last Leopard build show, parts of the Finder has got new scalable interface elements now. They look terrible too, standing out from the old bitmaps, so one hopes Apple has a whole new procedural recipe squad cooking up a new UI before Leopard ships. I'd hope we'd see that at MWSF as it'll otherwise give developers no time at all to redo their UIs.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    honestly, this isn't a patent that should be granted IMHO..... i'm all about supporting apple, but patents have gotten out of control to the point where they stiffle competition and innovation
  • Reply 14 of 30
    This sure sounds an awful lot like vector-based graphics (such as what can be created in Adobe Illustrator or Flash) taking over the whole display, or to go back even farther, it sounds like EPS images for the entire display. I always thought EPS was a great format, but it seems that it is hardly, if ever, used today.

Resolution independence is going to be extremely important for the OS base of the iTV, whether it's a closed OS, such as a un-exitable update to FrontRow, or an actual OS X variation (I guess it will be an OS X variation at some level regardless because that's what FrontRow runs on).

I've got Mac minis hooked up to both of my TVs and while one looks ok, but not really good (57" rear projection HD-ready Toshiba connected via DVI, which won't center properly on the screen), the other is nearly unreadable (Philips 27" widescreen flat tube HD-ready TV connected via a DVI to HDMI converter cable, but it centers properly). FrontRow looks good, but it's icons and text are huge compared to what is displayed on the Mac desktop. You can't really lower the resolution until it's easily readable because each resolution centers on the display differently, particularly on a TV's DVI input in my experience, sometimes unacceptably, and many application windows just aren't designed to be displayed at less than 800x600 at the very minimum. My Philips TV won't go to any lower resolution and a higher resolution where the text is even smaller is just going from bad to worse. It's really funny to boot up my old P'Mac 7500 in OS X with the original 640x480 display. You literally cannot access everything in the System Prefs window. At least, you couldn't back in 10.1 or 10.2 -- it's been awhile since I've even tried that, and the reason was that the prefs window wouldn't resize small enough and/or become scrollable (I think it becomes scrollable in Tiger).

Maybe they can get a patent for this, but on the surface, it appears to me that the concepts for displaying graphics in a completely resizable manner, such as they are describing to achieve "resolution independence," have been around a very long time (as others have noted). Still, I can't wait to see if Leopard will look better on my Mac mini-driven TVs.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    It's also similar in description to SVG (vector) and PDF.

I don't know much about the math behind the concepts noted here, but I do know that procedural textures are used in 3D graphics to simulate extremely realistic textures. I would almost assume that this knowledge is a carryover from Steve's Pixar involvement.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Interface designers have been doing resolution independent UI with Flash. Making a vector interface look good is not impossible.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    looks to me like this is for a touch sensitive screen application. you can resize buttons, and within second party applications like a web browser...
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitman View Post

Interface designers have been doing resolution independent UI with Flash. Making a vector interface look good is not impossible.

Flash UIs never look good...

Besides, Flash is garbage since it can't leverage OS or app capabilities such as screen reading, spell checking, etc.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    I understand the limitations of Flash. I was just referring to the ability make good looking vector art.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    another bad patent,

resoultion independant GUI's in this way have been in use for decades, they're quite common on phones and video games.

its an obvious technology, you just design GUIs as you would a 3D world, basically with a projection factor.