MacBook Pro Power Adapter with Macbook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
If you were to use an 85 watt adapter with a MacBook (or a 60 watt with a Pro), would it hurt the computer? I searched around a bit and couldn't find anything.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It shouldn't. Both have the same output (voltage) and those "intelligent" power adapters only deliver as much current (amps) as is actually used by the machine. Charging a MBP uses more power (up to the full 85 W) than just running like that (around 30-40 W), whereas for charging a MacBook, only up to 60W are used).

You can use the 60 W adapter with a MBP, but it will not charge the MBP because there is not enough power coming from the 60 W adapter. It runs fine, though, but again: no charging.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I think you'll find that the higher the watts, the faster the battery will charge...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex_1800

I think you'll find that the higher the watts, the faster the battery will charge...

I figured that much, but the more watts are supplied, the more current you're going to get. Since power is directly related to the current (P=IV), the current would increase with the power output. I just didn't think the computer was designed to take so much current and something might burn out (for the Not-Pro anyway). </E&M nerdines>

Thanks guys.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I had asked a similar question in the past. As i understood it, the MacBook can be charged with either the 60 (65?) or the 85. Both will charge at the same speed.

On the same note, the MacBook Pro can be run off of the MacBook charger but it can't charge it at the same time.